Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

northwestern

3 posters

Go down

northwestern Empty northwestern

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 January 28th 2014, 4:13 pm

Cain colter has lead the movement to unionize the un football players. I think they can get representation. Ncaa 15?
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Street Cred : 195

Back to top Go down

northwestern Empty Re: northwestern

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 January 28th 2014, 5:41 pm

ok I posted this from phone so I didn't get a chance to fill in more information and my take.

So Northwestern players are attempting to Unionize, they are getting help from the steelworkers union and else where. Like I think 80-85% of the players signed the petition.

I like this move because as a former college athlete, I know some issues they bring up in regards to medical stuff. When I tore me meniscus on the football field, the school didn't really help me out in terms of payment because I was forced to see a school doctor (I wouldn't be cleared to return) and the doctor wasn't on my insurance.

You can make the argument that these guys are employees because A. they are given compensation B. their labor results in good/service that the employer exploits C. They are limited to numbers of hours of work of nonacademic activities.

I don't see them getting a million dollars per player. This would lead to maybe opening up individual marketability and maybe some other stuff.

This will not be decided for the next 12-15 years
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  Pintsizedjark January 30th 2014, 2:31 pm

I'm gonna hope this doesn't happen

Pintsizedjark

Street Cred : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter January 30th 2014, 5:15 pm

Most of this is old news. When the APU protest started was just the "beginning" (it started a couple months, maybe even close to a year or so ago now.) The Steal Workers Union has been behind them from the get go.

The fact is, it's going to happen, and it's going to happen within the next 5 years. College football players will be unionized.

MaddMatter

Street Cred : 125

http://www.sportsworldforums.com

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 January 30th 2014, 6:27 pm

they arent doing this shit to get paid. they have scholarships that are worth a lot of money, northwestern is like 60-65gs a year.

What they are doing is getting a honored 4 year scholarships NOT a scholarship that is renewed on a yearly basis.
Medical stuff that college players deal with in terms of playing for doctors, surgeries, etc.

I think you do those two things + individual marketability + removing the 3 year rule (I know its an NFL rule not NCAA), college football becomes a little bit easier on athletes in terms of people screaming about how screwed over they are.

if someone wants to leave school, let them, if someone wants to leave HS and go pro, let them. I honestly don't want people who are retarded ruining teams because you see clowney this year who didnt give a shit and was a bad image for the team and school yet will go top 5. like, just get the fuck out if you dont want an education
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  Pintsizedjark January 31st 2014, 2:23 pm

one article said they want "guaranteed scholarships in case of catastrophic injury"

no way.

tell me why a school would want to do that.

Pintsizedjark

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter January 31st 2014, 3:36 pm

Pintsizedjark wrote:one article said they want "guaranteed scholarships in case of catastrophic injury"

no way.

tell me why a school would want to do that.

It's going to happen dude. Relax. We've talked about this a lot at school. It's gonna happen.

MaddMatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Pintsizedjark January 31st 2014, 4:32 pm

I'm not talking about whether or not it will happen...I'm saying the idea of "guaranteed scholarships in case of catastrophic injury" is absolutely ridiculous...and it SHOULD not happen

Pintsizedjark

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 January 31st 2014, 7:34 pm

Pintsizedjark wrote:I'm not talking about whether or not it will happen...I'm saying the idea of "guaranteed scholarships in case of catastrophic injury" is absolutely ridiculous...and it SHOULD not happen

if someone is given a scholarship, it is renewed annually. what the practice is currently is say when I played college ball, I played D1 and had a full ride.

If I broke my neck or something. and coaches were nice. I would have my scholarship renewed annually by the school not by the coaches.

Right now you have teams working like the NFL with people on 1 year deals. there are no rules saying who and when someone can be released from their scholarship. Les Miles does this shit every year where people ask "oh why you kick so and so off the team" and he makes up the excuse or what ever when in reality he takes away the scholarship of 1 player to sign another freshmen. that is not cool bro
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  Pintsizedjark February 1st 2014, 1:37 am

tell me why school/coaches would want to renew the scholarship of someone who broke his neck

Pintsizedjark

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter February 1st 2014, 7:30 am

Pintsizedjark wrote:tell me why school/coaches would want to renew the scholarship of someone who broke his neck

They don't, that's what this is about.

Dude imagine if you're a kid from a bad ghetto like neighborhood with no hope of ever getting out. You have no money or anything, but you were good enough in football to go to a D1 school and get a degree. You're halfway into you're junior season and you tear your ACL/PCL/MCL, dislocated your kneecap and all that shit. Basically, your knee is fucked. And after the season the school/coaches are like "you know what, you're never going to play again so we're not renewing your scholarship."

How are you suppose to pay for the medical bill? (If I remember right, my ACL surgery was around $12,000, hell the two screws in my knee were $1,000 alone, (Yeah my knee is worth $2,000 bitches how much is yours worth?  Laughing ))

So you're sitting there, with one year of school left for your degree and you can't afford school. (For comparison, I'm paying like $4,000 a semester at the WORST D1 school for football) You're not going to be getting a manual labor job with your knee fucked to pieces. So you drop out and have to live back in the ghetto.

How is that fair? That's like if you got hurt at work and they said "we don't want you anymore you're gone."

MaddMatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Pintsizedjark February 1st 2014, 11:11 am

no I know exactly what you're saying, I just disagree completely with it.

why would I deserve a renewed scholarship if I was never going to play again? why is the school essentially penalized because I chose to play football and got hurt doing so?

tell me about a scenario in which: someone works for some company, that person suddenly can't perform his/her job EVER again for whatever reason, the company keeps paying that person to come to work anyway.

listen, I understand that it would suck to be a player in that situation, I really do. however, from a purely economic standpoint, it's completely ridiculous to force schools to do that..because we're talking about "fairness" right? Imagine being the head of a company and all of your employees "get hurt" and suddenly you're paying them all despite the fact that none of them are doing the work they're getting paid for.

tell me how that's fair for the business

edit: fixed a typo

Pintsizedjark

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter February 1st 2014, 12:04 pm

Pintsizedjark wrote:no I know exactly what you're saying, I just disagree completely with it.

why would I deserve a renewed scholarship if I was never going to play again? why is the school essentially penalized because I chose to play football and got hurt doing so?

tell me about a scenario in which: someone works for some company, that person suddenly can't perform his/her job EVER again for whatever reason, the company keeps paying that person to come to work anyway.

listen, I understand that it would suck to be a player in that situation, I really do. however, from a purely economic standpoint, it's completely ridiculous to force schools to do that..because we're talking about "fairness" right? Imagine being the head of a company and all of your employees "get hurt" and suddenly you're paying them all despite the fact that none of them are doing the work they're getting paid for.

How is it fair that the colleges earn millions and millions of dollars marketing these players, but the players get nothing? Hell they can't even sell their autographs.

How is the school penalized though? I'm sure if they had this system in place there would probably be something like the IR system where, if a scholarship players has a career ending injury, he stays on scholarship, but the school doesn't lose the scholarship for recruiting, you know what I'm saying.

MaddMatter

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 February 1st 2014, 12:27 pm

MaddMatter wrote:
Pintsizedjark wrote:no I know exactly what you're saying, I just disagree completely with it.

How is it fair that the colleges earn millions and millions of dollars marketing these players, but the players get nothing? Hell they can't even sell their autographs.

How is the school penalized though? I'm sure if they had this system in place there would probably be something like the IR system where, if a scholarship players has a career ending injury, he stays on scholarship, but the school doesn't lose the scholarship for recruiting, you know what I'm saying.

that is basically how it is now except he isnt a scholarship athlete, the coaches work with the school to get him a free education though
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter March 26th 2014, 5:53 pm

Players win round one.

MaddMatter

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 March 26th 2014, 6:27 pm

the NLRB's definition is extremely broad (which is good) on what labor is.
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  Pintsizedjark March 26th 2014, 11:54 pm

this is pretty gay

Pintsizedjark

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content