Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

Should the NHL participate in the Olympics?

3 posters

Go down

Should the NHL participate in the Olympics? Empty Should the NHL participate in the Olympics?

Post  MaddMatter February 24th 2014, 2:34 pm

As some of you know (mainly Hurp) the NHL is thinking about not letting players play in the Olympics.

My question is, do you think that's a good idea?

I think a reasonable solution is, is to have NHL players up to the age of say, let's say 26 or 27, to participate in the Olympics, that way, not every NHL player goes to the Olympics and it gives the young guys a chance to play for their countries.

MaddMatter

Street Cred : 125

http://www.sportsworldforums.com

Back to top Go down

Should the NHL participate in the Olympics? Empty Re: Should the NHL participate in the Olympics?

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 February 24th 2014, 4:54 pm

thats how it should be. I don't think the NHL would suffer if the league continued without guys like Ovechkin and Crosby for a month. You have guys coming up all the time.
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Street Cred : 195

Back to top Go down

Should the NHL participate in the Olympics? Empty Re: Should the NHL participate in the Olympics?

Post  HurpDurpHurray February 24th 2014, 9:27 pm

No that's stupid, keep the NHL guys
HurpDurpHurray
HurpDurpHurray

Street Cred : 241

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 February 24th 2014, 9:28 pm

HurpDurpHurray wrote:No that's stupid, keep the NHL guys

he isnt saying get rid of the NHL guys. Just keep the NHL going. Not all NHL players go and compete in the olympics
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  HurpDurpHurray February 24th 2014, 9:32 pm

EPICxPENGUIN69 wrote:

he isnt saying get rid of the NHL guys. Just keep the NHL going. Not all NHL players go and compete in the olympics

It's either one or the other, not both. You think the owners will be like "oh yes this works, keep the old guys here and let my young superstar go. That works for me."
HurpDurpHurray
HurpDurpHurray

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 February 24th 2014, 9:36 pm

HurpDurpHurray wrote:
EPICxPENGUIN69 wrote:

It's either one or the other, not both. You think the owners will be like "oh yes this works, keep the old guys here and let my young superstar go. That works for me."

no. how many team were in sochi? like 8 or 10 in tourney? some teams get knocked out and shit. You dont send everyone. You have the guys who will play in the olympics and the dudes who dont, stay and play in the NHL, all teams have a D-team in the AHL or ECHL (i forget). You bring up how ever many dudes left to go play in the olympics.

some guys come back early when they get knocked out of the tourny.
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  HurpDurpHurray February 24th 2014, 9:40 pm

EPICxPENGUIN69 wrote:
HurpDurpHurray wrote:
EPICxPENGUIN69 wrote:

no. how many team were in sochi? like 8 or 10 in tourney? some teams get knocked out and shit. You dont send everyone. You have the guys who will play in the olympics and the dudes who dont, stay and play in the NHL, all teams have a D-team in the AHL or ECHL (i forget). You bring up how ever many dudes left to go play in the olympics.

You have your main guys gone and that's the main concern. You think the owners will care if they have some random AHL guys go to the Olympics? Nope. But they damn well give a shit if someone like a Sidney Crosby goes over because if they get hurt (like Zetterberg or Tavares), it hurts your chances of making the playoffs. No playoffs means less revenue. Less revenue means less money for the owner. Less money for the owner means sad owner that gets pissed.
HurpDurpHurray
HurpDurpHurray

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 February 24th 2014, 9:45 pm

HurpDurpHurray wrote:
EPICxPENGUIN69 wrote:
HurpDurpHurray wrote:
EPICxPENGUIN69 wrote:

You have your main guys gone and that's the main concern. You think the owners will care if they have some random AHL guys go to the Olympics? Nope. But they damn well give a shit if someone like a Sidney Crosby goes over because if they get hurt (like Zetterberg or Tavares), it hurts your chances of making the playoffs. No playoffs means less revenue. Less revenue means less money for the owner. Less money for the owner means sad owner that gets pissed.

you are not taking a pragmatic approach to this situation. You're argument is invalid.

There is no guarantee that making the playoffs = money. IE Coyotes franchise. IE anything near the state of florida or south in general.

Keeping your doors open while guys go and nationally compete while other dudes come up, show their skills, and might get to stay called up. Only issue that may come from this is teams that are good but have shitty farm systems and shitty teams that have good farm systems so you may see flipping of power for a month. But 18-23 games out of an 82 game regular season with Dleauge guys, isnt THAT bad of an idea because you double the hockey.
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  HurpDurpHurray February 24th 2014, 9:55 pm

EPICxPENGUIN69 wrote:
HurpDurpHurray wrote:
EPICxPENGUIN69 wrote:
HurpDurpHurray wrote:
EPICxPENGUIN69 wrote:

you are not taking a pragmatic approach to this situation. You're argument is invalid.

There is no guarantee that making the playoffs = money. IE Coyotes franchise. IE anything near the state of florida or south in general.

Keeping your doors open while guys go and nationally compete while other dudes come up, show their skills, and might get to stay called up. Only issue that may come from this is teams that are good but have shitty farm systems and shitty teams that have good farm systems so you may see flipping of power for a month. But 18-23 games out of an 82 game regular season with Dleauge guys, isnt THAT bad of an idea because you double the hockey.

It's not just the money, it's risk of loss on investment. If you have a guy like John Tavares, who is the Islanders key guy, go blow his knee out in a league that isn't your own, you lose him and everything he represents for that time. He's gone and that is one of the reasons why you go to the game. If you're favourite player is Tavares and he's out, you're not gonna be as willing to go to the game. You lose the fan support. Now I know the Islanders don't have much fan support to begin with but that's the problem, you lose more.

And it's not like fans are gonna wanna go to games where you have no Crosby or Malkin or Fleury even if he makes the team, because that means you're going to watch guys like Pascal Dupris and Tanner Glass. Oh joy what fun... Might as well just GO WATCH A FUCKING AHL GAME BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU'LL BE WATCHING
HurpDurpHurray
HurpDurpHurray

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum