Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

Flacco 6 years-$120 Million

+6
EPICxPENGUIN69
HurpDurpHurray
BaltRavensFan20
S
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MaddMatter
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Flacco 6 years-$120 Million - Page 2 Empty Re: Flacco 6 years-$120 Million

Post  BaltRavensFan20 March 5th 2013, 11:42 pm

RSoxGuy wrote:
BaltRavensFan20 wrote:

So I guess everyone should just start basing things off of stats now huh?
What are we supposed to base it off of? Team wins? So does that mean hes worth more than Brady, Brees, Manning or Rodgers? Stats tell us a story about a player, is he a game manager? Is he a MVP caliber QB year in and yr out? Can he/does he put the team on his back year in and yr out to get Ws? Or does he ride the coattails of his fellow team mates? Stats tell us these things.
Is that where this league is going now? How about the fact Flacco has the most wins in his first five years than any QB in the history of the NFL?
Brady 01-05 won 68 games including playoffs (3 SB wins and 2 SB MVPs).
Flacco 08-12 won 63 games (1 SB win, 1 SB MVP).

Or the fact he was 11-0 in TD/INTs in the playoffs, and has one of the best winning numbers in the playoffs, and has been to the playoffs every year since he came into this league?
Again, is this a team worthy stat or did Flacco do this all on his own? Didnt Brady just pass Montana for all time playoff wins? How many records does Brady hold in the post season/regular season? So Flacco has one great post season and all of a sudden hes Christ?

Or that he has a SB MVP, a SB in which he played great?
Bardy has 2 SB MVPs not that they mean shit considering that Deion Branch has 1, Santonio Holmes, Kurt Warner, Dexter Jackson and Desmond Howard all have SB MVPs yet where never considered to be ELITE or deserving of highest paid.

I agree that he needs to be more consistant in the regular season, but let me ask you something. Would you rather have a QB that wins and plays big in big games? Or a QB that has pretty stats?
Id rather have 5 or 6 other QBs than one who did good for one year and won the SB. Id rather have a guy who won 3, does great stat wise every year and can win games with shit on offense and defense (player depth wise).

I'll say it again, Flacco doesn't play as pretty as Brady or Manning, but he wins, and to me, winning is all that matters in the league; stats come second.
Problem is, hes not the one winning all these games, nasty D, great running game while other play with much less talent around them but are so good that they elevate even the mediocre players...

Nef, you made the point that he has a good group of players around him? Well, so does Brady, so does Manning, what is your point?
Brady hasnt had shit other than Welker (a slot WR) and Gronk for a yr and a half. No great D, no great RBs for several years yet still puts up great numbers, owns many records post season and regular. Puts up wins to get his team into the playoffs. Same with Manning. When had Indy had a great D? He had Harrison and Wayne, maybe you could consider Addai to be good at one point (and that was a short time) but he was half of ray rice never mind the combo of Rice, McGahee and McClain.

Rsox, Flacco was willing to lower the cap hit for this offseason on his new contract, because he didn't want to hurt the team, and knew they were in a tough situation. To me, that sounds like someone who is willing to take one for the team so the good players around him will be able to stay.
Fuck me now or fuck me later, you're still getting fucked either way. BTW, being the highest paid player is in no way shape or form "taking one for the team".

I will mention too that the Ravens front office is one of the best in the league, so of there was any team to figure all this out, it would be them.
Thats debatable. Point being, Baltimore over paid a top 10 QB with top 5 money and with the cap, it will fuck them at some point.

Yes, I agree stats can tell us things, but I got the impression that you thought stats were THE ONLY thing to go off of. You didn't mention anything about wins just about stats. Its the same with everyone else, people are so quick to bring up stats about anything, but they forget to take into consideration the wins among other things.

I'll say this, while I mentioned all those things above, it doesn't mean I neccesarily agree with all of them, but you can't deny that all of those things mentioned, are fuel for a agents fire. Those are all the things that an agent will bring up to try to get flaccos numbers up.

I will say this also, what were the Ravens supposed to do? This is the first time since Johnny U that they have a great QB (yes I'll say great, because I believe hes a great QB). Do you honestly think they would have just let someone of Flaccos caliber go? Especially to a team that would have definately overpaid him in the Browns, a rival at that? In my opinion they had no choice but to overpay him. They would have had to give him 20 mil in a tag, which would have definately hurt the team even more, they would have ran the risk of having to pay even more next season if the ravens ended up repeating and Flacco became more consistant. They were in a tough spot. I don't think you would want your team to lose their only best QB they have seen in 10+ years, only to go back to bottom feeding veteran QBs who are on their last leg. There really are not any good QBs in the draft. In my opinion, they screwed up in not extending him last season, they could have gotten him much cheaper. This is the only big mistake I have seen this organization make in my whole time keepng up with the Ravens.

@ Neff, you didn't see my whole point. Flacco had nobody on offense and still played halfway decent. And yes a Elite QB is suposed to make the offense, but you still need to rely on playmakers to get this done. You can teach a WR only so much as a QB, but the WR still has to have the ability to catch the ball, and run routes, and make the plays himself. A QB can't be the WR, or RB, or OL, etc. If a WR doesn't have the ability to play well, is that the QBs fault then? Is it Flaccos fault that Demetrius Williams was constantly getting injured and couldn't stay on the field? Is it Flaccos fault that Mark Clayton didn't have better hands? No, it isn't. To me, Flacco has led this offense. Look at Torrey Smith for example. He has gotten better each year, look at this past year, he played really well. Pitta emerged out of nowhere. Boldin said he was one of the best QBs hes played with apart from Warner. I'm not denying that Flacco still needs to get better (hes gotten better each year hes been in the league), but hes has shown he can make players play good.

And also, alot of you are saying hes had one good year? What about last year, when they were a game away from the SB? Flacco played great in the playoffs last year also. Does having a great year mean you have to win a SB to have one? I guess it was also Flaccos fault that Lee Evans didn't catch a catchable ball to send them to the SB right? Flacco could (COULD) have had 2 rings by now if it wasn't for Evans, or even Cundiff, if you want to get real hypothetical.

I'll keep saying it, I feel Flacco was overpaid. But it just seems like alot of you are not taking everything into account. Maybe its just cause I've watched Flacco come along more than you guys, I don't know. But theres much more to Flacco I feel than many of you realize, was he worthy of the money he got, in a way yes, but also in a way no (should have gotten less, yes)
BaltRavensFan20
BaltRavensFan20

Street Cred : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  Nef77 March 6th 2013, 12:14 am

BaltRavensFan20 wrote:
I'll keep saying it, I feel Flacco was overpaid.

That's all you had to say instead of

I'll keep saying it, I feel Flacco was overpaid...but this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract and this is why we should give him a stupid contract
Nef77
Nef77

Street Cred : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU11 March 6th 2013, 8:52 am

lets keep it simple.

regular seasons dont mean shit once in the play offs.

rodgers,peyton,brady,brees,stafford,big ben and matt ryan all plays lights out in the regular season but all fall short in the play offs.

you know why???

Play offs dont have easy opponets where you can pad the stats.

some nfl records flacco holds after only 5 years in the league:
NFL records
First rookie quarterback to start all sixteen games and make the playoffs (shared with Matt Ryan)
First rookie quarterback to win two playoff games[35]
Most starts by a quarterback in first season: 19
Most starts by a quarterback in first two seasons: 37
Most starts by a quarterback in first three seasons: 55
Most starts by a quarterback in first four seasons: 73
Most starts by a quarterback in first five seasons: 93
Most wins by a quarterback in first 80 consecutive starts: 54
Most combined regular and postseason wins in first three years as a quarterback: 36 (tied with Dan Marino)

Only quarterback to start and win a playoff game in each of his first five seasons
Most road playoff wins by a quarterback: 6
Most touchdowns in a postseason: 11 (tied with Joe Montana and Kurt Warner)
Most touchdowns without an interception in a postseason: 11 (tied with Joe Montana)
First quarterback to have a passer rating over 100 in all four games of a single postseason Most consecutive playoff games with three passing touchdowns: 3 (tied with Bernie Kosar, Kurt Warner, and Aaron Rodgers)

highlighted some for you doubters lol.

ow yeah what has brady won since spygate and the fall of that great defense he had lol.
he was lucky lee evans and cundiff chocked last season cause flacco out played him then as well and should have been the ravens in the SB lol.

TRU11
TRU11

Street Cred : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Nef77 March 6th 2013, 3:07 pm

TRU11 wrote:lets keep it simple.

So is he worth that big contract? That's kinda the point of this whole thread bruh.

and stop talking about the winning in the beginning of his career because you sound just like that Alex Smith slurpper on the EA Forums. Ravens won those years mainly on defense and the backs. Alex Smith went 13-3 because of defense and the run game.

Nobody is doubting that Flacco is a great QB. We're just saying that NO ONE IS WORTH 1/6TH THE CAP SPACE on a 53-man roster.
Nef77
Nef77

Back to top Go down

Post  Soarindude02 March 6th 2013, 5:19 pm

It just shows he's in it for the money, not for the rings.
Soarindude02
Soarindude02

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter March 6th 2013, 5:23 pm

Soarindude02 wrote:It just shows he's in it for the money, not for the rings.

Who the hell is this guy?

MaddMatter

Street Cred : 125

http://www.sportsworldforums.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BaltRavensFan20 March 6th 2013, 6:04 pm

[quote="Nef77"]
TRU11 wrote:lets keep it simple.

So is he worth that big contract? That's kinda the point of this whole thread bruh.

and stop talking about the winning in the beginning of his career because you sound just like that Alex Smith slurpper on the EA Forums. Ravens won those years mainly on defense and the backs. Alex Smith went 13-3 because of defense and the run game.

Nobody is doubting that Flacco is a great QB. We're just saying that NO ONE IS WORTH 1/6TH THE CAP SPACE on a 53-man roster.[/quote]

And I'd like to ask you again, if you were GM/owner, what would you have done? Would you have just let Flacco hit FA and get picked up by another team, and lose a great QB; plus take the risk ofr not finding another good one for years? Or pay what the ravens payed? Because like I said before, giving him the tag would have hurt the team just as much as giving him this big contract.

Oh, and to all those saying the contract will hurt the ravens down the road? I just read today that Joe Linta (Flaccos agent), said the deal was essentially a 3 yr deal, and that after the third year they will go back and work out something better and more friendly instead of taking the giant 28 some mil hit.
BaltRavensFan20
BaltRavensFan20

Back to top Go down

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ March 6th 2013, 6:19 pm

BaltRavensFan20 wrote:

And I'd like to ask you again, if you were GM/owner, what would you have done? Would you have just let Flacco hit FA and get picked up by another team

Ok, say Flacco hit the FA market after turning down the Ravens offer of about 15 mil per year...do you think some other team would have ponied up the 20 mil for a QB that hasnt "won" anything for them? Bottomline is that Flacco ( even tho he just won a SB ) isnt worth 20 million bucks per season and everybody outside of Baltimore Maryland can see it...Flacco played great in the postseason but this was the FIRST postseason he has done that, he had been there 4 previous times and left with QB ratings as low as 14.5 and his other 3 appearances had him in the low 20's for QB Rate...like I stated before, hes just like Phil Simms, had 1 great postseason and a great Defense and Run game to fall back on, Simms himself couldnt carry the team, much like Flacco cant carry the Ravens if need be.
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Street Cred : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  BaltRavensFan20 March 6th 2013, 6:29 pm

MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:
BaltRavensFan20 wrote:

And I'd like to ask you again, if you were GM/owner, what would you have done? Would you have just let Flacco hit FA and get picked up by another team

Ok, say Flacco hit the FA market after turning down the Ravens offer of about 15 mil per year...do you think some other team would have ponied up the 20 mil for a QB that hasnt "won" anything for them? Bottomline is that Flacco ( even tho he just won a SB ) isnt worth 20 million bucks per season and everybody outside of Baltimore Maryland can see it...Flacco played great in the postseason but this was the FIRST postseason he has done that, he had been there 4 previous times and left with QB ratings as low as 14.5 and his other 3 appearances had him in the low 20's for QB Rate...like I stated before, hes just like Phil Simms, had 1 great postseason and a great Defense and Run game to fall back on, Simms himself couldnt carry the team, much like Flacco cant carry the Ravens if need be.

So you don't think the browns who have close to 40 some mil in cap space, would have taken the chance in signing flacco? The same team that year in and year out strikes out in draft picks, sucks every year, etc? Thats not even saying he could have been signed cheaper to another team.
BaltRavensFan20
BaltRavensFan20

Back to top Go down

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ March 6th 2013, 6:43 pm

BaltRavensFan20 wrote:

So you don't think the browns who have close to 40 some mil in cap space, would have taken the chance in signing flacco? The same team that year in and year out strikes out in draft picks, sucks every year, etc? Thats not even saying he could have been signed cheaper to another team.

what im saying is that i highly doubt ANY team would have paid Flacco 20 million per season...Peyton got almost 18 million, and we ALL know Peyton can carry a team on any given sunday and eliminate the need to overpay for a HB to take the load off of himself, the guy is phenominal and even tho he isnt very mobile, he makes quik reads and gets the ball downfield in a hurry, Flacco doesnt...Flacco "needs" good HB play, Flacco "needs' a stout Defense to protect small leads, Manning eliminates the need for that, so in turn he "saves" his team the headache of worrying about other positions and he got 18 million for it...dont get me wrong, Flacco has taken some nice steps this season and is very deserving of his SB MVP and yada yada yada but when it comes to "Value" at the QB position, the Ravens shouldve paid Flacco around 13-15 mil per season.
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Back to top Go down

Post  S March 6th 2013, 7:49 pm

Flacco 6 years-$120 Million - Page 2 Tumblr_lxjm4n4umw1rn1xxfo1_400
S
S

Street Cred : 81

Back to top Go down

Post  BaltRavensFan20 March 6th 2013, 8:32 pm

MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:
BaltRavensFan20 wrote:

what im saying is that i highly doubt ANY team would have paid Flacco 20 million per season...Peyton got almost 18 million, and we ALL know Peyton can carry a team on any given sunday and eliminate the need to overpay for a HB to take the load off of himself, the guy is phenominal and even tho he isnt very mobile, he makes quik reads and gets the ball downfield in a hurry, Flacco doesnt...Flacco "needs" good HB play, Flacco "needs' a stout Defense to protect small leads, Manning eliminates the need for that, so in turn he "saves" his team the headache of worrying about other positions and he got 18 million for it...dont get me wrong, Flacco has taken some nice steps this season and is very deserving of his SB MVP and yada yada yada but when it comes to "Value" at the QB position, the Ravens shouldve paid Flacco around 13-15 mil per season.

While I agree with you, I will comment on one thing you said about Flacco needing stout D. There have been a couple of games where our D has failed and Flacco has drove down the field to make up for it. Now while this isnt every game, he has shown the ablity to do so.
BaltRavensFan20
BaltRavensFan20

Back to top Go down

Post  Nef77 March 6th 2013, 9:32 pm

BaltRavensFan20 wrote:
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:
BaltRavensFan20 wrote:

While I agree with you, I will comment on one thing you said about Flacco needing stout D. There have been a couple of games where our D has failed and Flacco has drove down the field to make up for it. Now while this isnt every game, he has shown the ability to do so.

Every good QB has games like those. Look at Alex Smith vs. the Saints. No QB is worth that kind of cap space. Sure let him test the market so he can see his true market value and work from there. Eli money, sure. Biggest contract in history, HELL NO!! But it's your problem and like I said before, at least you have the ability to renegotiate. Poor Brooklyn Nets are stuck with paying Joe Johnson's max contract.
Nef77
Nef77

Back to top Go down

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ March 6th 2013, 9:50 pm

on the bright side...IF ( now this is a BIIIG IF ) Sanchez happens to have a "decent" season , say 4,100 yards 28 TD 14 INTs and 3 buttfumbles, he will be looked upon as a "STEAL" for "only" 7 million next season Rolling Eyes What a Face bounce Flacco 6 years-$120 Million - Page 2 2215820847 /-/
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU11 March 7th 2013, 3:04 am

if you look at the structure of the deal then yes he is worth it.

first 3 to 4 years of the deal are team friendly and most of his guaranteed money is due in those years.

he got less guaranteed money then brees may i add.

he will not be hard to cut after 3 years in and his base salary at that point can always be turned in some guaranteed money to free up cap space as guys like brady and big ben are doing at this point when they are a couple of years into his deal.

A QB that wins alot and most importantly plays great in the play offs deserves to be paid.

personally i dont care about any stat in the regular season except W/L and pro bowl i stopped watching when i grew up and found out its nothing but a popularity contest.

whats throwing for 5000 yards when your at home watching the play offs Rolling Eyes
TRU11
TRU11

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU11 March 7th 2013, 4:31 am

MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:on the bright side...IF ( now this is a BIIIG IF ) Sanchez happens to have a "decent" season , say 4,100 yards 28 TD 14 INTs and 3 buttfumbles, he will be looked upon as a "STEAL" for "only" 7 million next season Rolling Eyes What a Face bounce Flacco 6 years-$120 Million - Page 2 2215820847 /-/

flacco will only make 7 mill this season lol.

TRU11
TRU11

Back to top Go down

Post  BaltRavensFan20 March 7th 2013, 5:47 pm

MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:on the bright side...IF ( now this is a BIIIG IF ) Sanchez happens to have a "decent" season , say 4,100 yards 28 TD 14 INTs and 3 buttfumbles, he will be looked upon as a "STEAL" for "only" 7 million next season Rolling Eyes What a Face bounce Flacco 6 years-$120 Million - Page 2 2215820847 /-/

I find it funny how sanchez created his own term Laughing
BaltRavensFan20
BaltRavensFan20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum