Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

Why does the NCAA care about 'illegal benefits'

+3
Browns
poshmidget
Pintsizedjark
7 posters

Go down

Why does the NCAA care about 'illegal benefits' Empty Why does the NCAA care about 'illegal benefits'

Post  Pintsizedjark June 7th 2011, 4:49 pm

yeah.. USC lost its championship and Reggie Bush lost his Heisman because he was "ineligible" at the time....because his family accepted a $100,000 benefit..ok..so how does that change anything he does on the field?

since it is against the rules, Reggie Bush(and his family) shouldn't have accepted the benefit and its his fault..but why are the punishments so harsh?..why is there even a rule against it to begin with?

Pintsizedjark

Street Cred : 51

Back to top Go down

Why does the NCAA care about 'illegal benefits' Empty Re: Why does the NCAA care about 'illegal benefits'

Post  poshmidget June 7th 2011, 5:01 pm

a major player on the team that won the national championship was ruled ineligible and if it had not been for him they wouldn't have been in that game. schools should not pay college players. they are but it is ridiculous the NCAA does not give them money for their jersey sales, or allow them to take endorsements and sell memorabilia. the schools should not give them salaries though. then it becomes about what school has more money and college sports becomes like pro baseball.

poshmidget

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Why does the NCAA care about 'illegal benefits' Empty Re: Why does the NCAA care about 'illegal benefits'

Post  Browns June 7th 2011, 5:05 pm

They dont want high schoolers to have an excuse to slack in school and say "Well I'll just make money throwin a ball"
Browns
Browns

Street Cred : 41

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 June 7th 2011, 5:15 pm

As a student athlete, I dont get why kids want to get paid. I work in the summer, I play in the fall.

It is greed. This fat lazy Homosexual dick heads think because they play D 1 football they can do what ever the fuck they want. fuck that

Put me in charge of the NCAA, heads would fucking roll. Not just among players and coaches, but ADs, NCAA members. Everyone is corrupt in college football and for what? A few extra wins? Winning is nice and money is nice but what the fuck kind of mark does it leave on your soul. Later in life, what sort of half bull ship patholigical lie will you use to rationalize doing fucked up shit to "make ends meet"

A free education

It is harder to get an academic scholarship.

Here is how you remove most of the fucking corruption type shit. Remove scholarships. You take away the very thing that entitles the athlete, makes catching corruption that much easier. "your parents make how much a year? you can afford school and this new car on THEIR salary?"
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Street Cred : 195

Back to top Go down

Post  Pintsizedjark June 7th 2011, 5:26 pm

EpicxPlatypus69 wrote:As a student athlete, I dont get why kids want to get paid. I work in the summer, I play in the fall.

It is greed. This fat lazy Homosexual dick heads think because they play D 1 football they can do what ever the fuck they want. fuck that

Put me in charge of the NCAA, heads would fucking roll. Not just among players and coaches, but ADs, NCAA members. Everyone is corrupt in college football and for what? A few extra wins? Winning is nice and money is nice but what the fuck kind of mark does it leave on your soul. Later in life, what sort of half bull ship patholigical lie will you use to rationalize doing fucked up shit to "make ends meet"

A free education

Here is how you remove most of the fucking corruption type shit. Remove scholarships. You take away the very thing that entitles the athlete, makes catching corruption that much easier. "your parents make how much a year? you can afford school and this new car on THEIR salary?"

just because you feel its bad doesn't mean it is..I'm not condoning the selling of jerseys and what not, but let them do what they want with what they've earned.

and high school is a pathway to a college of choice(or other career path) and then to a career..so if someone is guaranteed a scholarship let he or she do what they want with their own high school life.

Pintsizedjark

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 June 7th 2011, 6:16 pm

Pintsizedjark wrote:
EpicxPlatypus69 wrote:As a student athlete, I dont get why kids want to get paid. I work in the summer, I play in the fall.

A free education

just because you feel its bad doesn't mean it is..I'm not condoning the selling of jerseys and what not, but let them do what they want with what they've earned.

and high school is a pathway to a college of choice(or other career path) and then to a career..so if someone is guaranteed a scholarship let he or she do what they want with their own high school life.

It can be a recruiting type of thing. A team that promotes its players better than other schools

If someone should sell their likeness, they should lose their scholarship.

They dont want a free education payed for by the school than they can pay for their own damn education.
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  Nef77 June 7th 2011, 6:27 pm

Pintsizedjark wrote:yeah.. USC lost its championship and Reggie Bush lost his Heisman because he was "ineligible" at the time....because his family accepted a $100,000 benefit..ok..so how does that change anything he does on the field?

since it is against the rules, Reggie Bush(and his family) shouldn't have accepted the benefit and its his fault..but why are the punishments so harsh?..why is there even a rule against it to begin with?

On a different note, how is Bush's case different from Cam Newton? SMH at this bullshit.

As for the issue at hand, some of these full ride scholarships at the troubled schools go for 100K+. If you can't spot yourself a couple hundred from a temp job then you are just down right lazy. Whoopdeefuckindoo you can run a 4.3 40 while throwing darts 50 yards, what's so hard about cleaning someones yard or getting a part time job? It's not like the troubled athletes pick the hardest majors.
Nef77
Nef77

Street Cred : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 June 7th 2011, 6:31 pm

Nef77 wrote:
Pintsizedjark wrote:yeah.. USC lost its championship and Reggie Bush lost his Heisman because he was "ineligible" at the time....because his family accepted a $100,000 benefit..ok..so how does that change anything he does on the field?

On a different note, how is Bush's case different from Cam Newton? SMH at this bullshit.

As for the issue at hand, some of these full ride scholarships at the troubled schools go for 100K+. If you can't spot yourself a couple hundred from a temp job then you are just down right lazy. Whoopdeefuckindoo you can run a 4.3 40 while throwing darts 50 yards, what's so hard about cleaning someones yard or getting a part time job? It's not like the troubled athletes pick the hardest majors.

If cam newton was a 3.2 GPA, math major, deans list, volunteered in the community, mowed lawns and stuff. Everyone would love him

but he isnt

He showed little concern for education, muches off others and his own talents, and everyone is disgusted with him
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  Pintsizedjark June 7th 2011, 7:02 pm

EpicxPlatypus69 wrote:
Nef77 wrote:

If cam newton was a 3.2 GPA, math major, deans list, volunteered in the community, mowed lawns and stuff. Everyone would love him

but he isnt

He showed little concern for education, muches off others and his own talents, and everyone is disgusted with him

what does any of that have to do with anything? let him be the way he is..you don't need to be concerned with how he acts.

Pintsizedjark

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 June 7th 2011, 7:10 pm

Pintsizedjark wrote:
EpicxPlatypus69 wrote:
Nef77 wrote:

but he isnt

what does any of that have to do with anything? let him be the way he is..you don't need to be concerned with how he acts.

I am not saying he should behave any different. I am just saying, If he acted like a Christian Ponder where he was an academic all-american and an athletic all-american, people wouldnt have that big of a problem with him.

He just comes off as a douche bag. With all of his off the field stuff, stealing a computer, transferring because he didnt want to wait behind tebow, his poor grades, the whole deal with his dad selling his son out. There may be a few black clouds hovering over him that people dont like.

Different: Not all NCAA athletes are douche bags. I get there are guys who take the opportunity in front of them and make the most of it. They can get a free education and set themselves up for an awesome life after football depending on if it ends in college or the pros. You also have the guys at Army, Navy, Air Force, and other Military academies that dont go to school just for football.

Football is not and should not become this new way of human exploitation. It is a way of building character and showing off hard work and work ethic.
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  Nef77 June 7th 2011, 7:35 pm

On the Cam Newton issue, I meant why wasn't Auburn punished the same way USC was? Both scenarios seem the same.
Nef77
Nef77

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 June 7th 2011, 7:42 pm

Nef77 wrote:On the Cam Newton issue, I meant why wasn't Auburn punished the same way USC was? Both scenarios seem the same.

they couldnt prove anything. Auburn wasnt on the spot, Cams father and miss state boosters were the ones who did most of the fucked up shit. So far, cam was more of the product up for sale. Later down the road, they come out that there was money changing hands or cam was aware of what was going on, than there will be sanctions.
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  Nef77 June 7th 2011, 7:53 pm

EpicxPlatypus69 wrote:
Nef77 wrote:On the Cam Newton issue, I meant why wasn't Auburn punished the same way USC was? Both scenarios seem the same.

they couldnt prove anything. Auburn wasnt on the spot, Cams father and miss state boosters were the ones who did most of the fucked up shit. So far, cam was more of the product up for sale. Later down the road, they come out that there was money changing hands or cam was aware of what was going on, than there will be sanctions.
Ohhh ok thanks
Nef77
Nef77

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 June 7th 2011, 8:10 pm

Nef77 wrote:
EpicxPlatypus69 wrote:

Ohhh ok thanks

its complicated
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter June 7th 2011, 9:59 pm

Pintsizedjark wrote:but why are the punishments so harsh?..why is there even a rule against it to begin with?

There are a couple of reasons.

1. They do get something. A FREE College Education. I know that's said a lot, but damn think about it. It's true. Michigan States average tuition per year is between $20,000- In state and $37,000-Out of State. That's Michigan State for crying out loud. Not exactly the best University in the country. So if you went to MSU and your from Ohio and you stayed for 3 years then went pro, you still "made" $111,000 (just taking the average). That is a shit ton of money just to play football. Why should you be given that much money with that much extra benefits to play a game? What is it 99% of college players won't play in the NFL? (Not sure but I bet it's at least 97%) For the most part most of the kids know they're not going to make a living playing football. So they go to school to be prepared for other things besides football. Just think they could be a great player in school, but never really make it to the NFL. But they were used to everyone giving them free stuff. When they get to the "real world" people won't be giving them free stuff.

2. It puts the whole NCAA competition on an unlevel playing field. The big name schools will get the big name recruits because they think that if they play good enough they can get benefits. So if I'm deciding between being a back-up on a team like OSU or being an immediate starter on UConn. Why would I go to UConn if I can't get benefits like I would at OSU? It's like the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Hell I can look at Pryor right now. He was choosing between Michigan and OSU. Think about this, if Pryor went to Michigan, Rich Rod may have been a great coach and never lost his job. Jim Tressel could have gotten fired because with Pryor at Michigan he wouldn't have had a stud QB, which means he may not have been able to beat Michigan with Pryor. OSU doesn't like losing to Michigan so he gets fired. Thus setting OSU back a couple years and Michigan would be going to BCS bowls each year rather than missing a bowl for the first time in 30+years.

I personally don't think the athletes should be paid. Would I be upset? Maybe a little. But damn if I wanted to make money playing football, I would want to train everyday to try to make it to the pros. Not settle for some corrupt school and get benefits. I don't want anything given to me, I want to earn it. I would EARN a scholarship. Then I would EARN my money if I made it to the pros.

That's just me though.

MaddMatter

Street Cred : 125

http://www.sportsworldforums.com

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 June 8th 2011, 12:22 am

It isnt like they are being rewarded for school work either. All you need is a 2.0 gpa to be eligible for athletic scholarship, 2.3 to play.

I have a 3.4 gpa, i get jack shit other than financial aide.

they get thousands upon thousands of dollars for doing nothing other than being born physical freaks
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter June 8th 2011, 12:25 am

EpicxPlatypus69 wrote:It isnt like they are being rewarded for school work either. All you need is a 2.0 gpa to be eligible for athletic scholarship, 2.3 to play.

I have a 3.4 gpa, i get jack shit other than financial aide.

they get thousands upon thousands of dollars for doing nothing other than being born physical freaks

Exactly, I think all college athletics should require a 3.0 GPA to play. That would show that they're actually putting that free education to good use.

MaddMatter

Street Cred : 125

http://www.sportsworldforums.com

Back to top Go down

Post  at23steelers June 8th 2011, 12:37 am

The point is, is that Reggie Bush didn't do anything on the field (steroids or any other performance enhancing drug) that you would say USC won their games because of. They won their games fair and square and their Championship should not be taken away. If people want to pay the athletes and give them gifts, let them. Who cares, it's a fucking gift. NCAA should not control any of that. If that's how they want to get their players then fine. I will agree that academics should come before athletics and our culture and media only cares about the sports side of things. (Matt complaining and whining about the Spelling Bee being on ESPN for example). I think colleges should give more scholarship money for academics than they do, but it's ultimately their decision, and no one should punish them for that or how they spend their money. I do like the 3.0 GPA to be an athlete though.
at23steelers
at23steelers

Street Cred : -17

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 June 8th 2011, 12:51 am

the only amateurs that get paid are in porn.

you are a student athlete. You go to school and are given the privilege is to play. Most of the trouble lies in the wording of scholarships and shit. There needs to be a universal code for the scholarships.

The laws and wording vary from school to school and from conference to conference. Its bullshit
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum