Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

The better Dynasty?

+8
PhantomReturns93
CaptRCG2
poshmidget
Soarindude02
at23steelers
MaddMatter
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
Mutant
12 posters

Go down

Best Dynasty

The better Dynasty? Vote_lcap25%The better Dynasty? Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 3 ]
The better Dynasty? Vote_lcap58%The better Dynasty? Vote_rcap 58% 
[ 7 ]
The better Dynasty? Vote_lcap0%The better Dynasty? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
The better Dynasty? Vote_lcap17%The better Dynasty? Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 12

The better Dynasty? Empty The better Dynasty?

Post  Mutant July 16th 2011, 9:21 am

Moving on from the 2,000 yard rusher "debate" (it was more one-sided than I thought it'd be). I wanted to do 'Best QBs never to have won the SB' but that would've been even more one-sided with everyone choosing Marino.

Today: Dynasties.

Of the 4 teams who won 3 or more Super Bowls in a decade, who had the most complete team? Who had to over-come the tougher opposition? Who had the better coach and QB and shit?
Mutant
Mutant

Street Cred : 46

Back to top Go down

The better Dynasty? Empty Re: The better Dynasty?

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ July 16th 2011, 9:32 am

i will say the 1970's Steelers, they had a great Defense and all the weapons on Offense with Bradshaw,Swann,Stallworth, Harris and Rocky Blier...if the Patriots werent caught cheating i would have chosen them, but how many Wins came from thier "advantage"? also they lucked into the SB with the Tuck Rule. The 49ers were pretty dominant but also 1 dimensional with Montana and rice being thier only "true" weapons..The Cowboys of the 90's seemed to have all the pieces to the puzzle, i watched them during thier run of SB's and in all honesty i thought they could be beaten fairley easy, it always suprised me how much they won, but they never "dominated' anyone.
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Street Cred : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant July 16th 2011, 9:54 am

MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:i will say the 1970's Steelers, they had a great Defense and all the weapons on Offense with Bradshaw,Swann,Stallworth, Harris and Rocky Blier...if the Patriots werent caught cheating i would have chosen them, but how many Wins came from thier "advantage"? also they lucked into the SB with the Tuck Rule. The 49ers were pretty dominant but also 1 dimensional with Montana and rice being thier only "true" weapons..The Cowboys of the 90's seemed to have all the pieces to the puzzle, i watched them during thier run of SB's and in all honesty i thought they could be beaten fairley easy, it always suprised me how much they won, but they never "dominated' anyone.

What about Roger Craig? He was a dual threat back who could run and catch. I think he has the record of getting 1,000 yards rushing and 1,000 yards recieving in 1 season.

Problem with the Steelers is that I don't think Bradshaw was a great QB. They dominated because of their defense and because if their running game. Bradshaw had 210 TDs and 214 INTs in his career. That's terrible.

If it wasn't for their defense who could get the ball back after Bradshaw lost it, I don't think they'd have won many Super Bowls.
Mutant
Mutant

Back to top Go down

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ July 16th 2011, 10:14 am

Mutant wrote:
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:i will say the 1970's Steelers, they had a great Defense and all the weapons on Offense with Bradshaw,Swann,Stallworth, Harris and Rocky Blier...if the Patriots werent caught cheating i would have chosen them, but how many Wins came from thier "advantage"? also they lucked into the SB with the Tuck Rule. The 49ers were pretty dominant but also 1 dimensional with Montana and rice being thier only "true" weapons..The Cowboys of the 90's seemed to have all the pieces to the puzzle, i watched them during thier run of SB's and in all honesty i thought they could be beaten fairley easy, it always suprised me how much they won, but they never "dominated' anyone.

What about Roger Craig? He was a dual threat back who could run and catch. I think he has the record of getting 1,000 yards rushing and 1,000 yards recieving in 1 season.

Problem with the Steelers is that I don't think Bradshaw was a great QB. They dominated because of their defense and because if their running game. Bradshaw had 210 TDs and 214 INTs in his career. That's terrible.

If it wasn't for their defense who could get the ball back after Bradshaw lost it, I don't think they'd have won many Super Bowls.

Roger Craig was basically a "utility' HB, i hate to say it but ANY HB couldve played the role that Craig did....he played 11 years and only had 3 1 thousand yards seasons and 5 of those seasons he averaged LESS than 4 YPC...about Bradshaw having more INT than TDs, you have to remeber that back in the 70's the NFL was just starting to Pass alot more, not until the early 80's did Passing become prevailant with the 'Air Coryell" Chargers and everyone followed suit, also Bradshaw had 48 INTs in his first 2 seasons when he had just come into the league.
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter July 16th 2011, 10:43 am

Its between the Steelers and the 49'ers I'll have to think about this one for a little while.

MaddMatter

Street Cred : 125

http://www.sportsworldforums.com

Back to top Go down

Post  at23steelers July 16th 2011, 11:26 am

Is this even debatable?? Very Happy
at23steelers
at23steelers

Street Cred : -17

Back to top Go down

Post  Soarindude02 July 16th 2011, 12:18 pm

at23steelers wrote:Is this even debatable?? Very Happy

For Non Bias People, yes. Laughing
Soarindude02
Soarindude02

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant July 16th 2011, 12:37 pm

MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:Roger Craig was basically a "utility' HB, i hate to say it but ANY HB couldve played the role that Craig did....he played 11 years and only had 3 1 thousand yards seasons and 5 of those seasons he averaged LESS than 4 YPC...about Bradshaw having more INT than TDs, you have to remeber that back in the 70's the NFL was just starting to Pass alot more, not until the early 80's did Passing become prevailant with the 'Air Coryell" Chargers and everyone followed suit, also Bradshaw had 48 INTs in his first 2 seasons when he had just come into the league.

Yeah, the teams of the 70s were run heavy. But 210-214 INT-TD ratio is bad. Even Staubach and Griese had better ratios and they were playing at the same time (although they had about 20-25 more TDs than INTs which isn't that great either).
Mutant
Mutant

Back to top Go down

Post  poshmidget July 16th 2011, 2:45 pm

i chose the steelers kinda out of homerism, but honestly i might have to say the pats.

poshmidget

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ July 16th 2011, 3:03 pm

poshmidget wrote:i chose the steelers kinda out of homerism, but honestly i might have to say the pats.

i wouldve said the Patriots if they werent caught cheating in this time frame...also they got very lucky with the "Tuck Rule" ...in all honesty, i dont know how many wins the Pats got from thier videotaping, but IMHO i believe it gave them a HUGE advantage over other teams.
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptRCG2 July 16th 2011, 3:16 pm

All 4 decades were very different and difficult to compare against one another. Whether is was style of play, rules changes, free agency, salary caps, expansion, etc., you simply can't say that one dynasty was better than the other because you aren't comparing apples to apples. The bottom line is that each of the teams listed was the dominant team of it's respective decade. It was a pleasure to watch all of them. Excellence!
CaptRCG2
CaptRCG2

Street Cred : 86

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomReturns93 July 16th 2011, 5:41 pm

Steelers had all-time great HOFers at literally every position, 49ers had Montana, Rice, and Lott...#justsayin
PhantomReturns93
PhantomReturns93

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter July 16th 2011, 6:58 pm

TheDrunkGuyOnTheCouch wrote:Steelers had all-time great HOFers at literally every position, 49ers had Montana, Rice, and Lott...#justsayin
LOOK HES MAD, lol

I chose 49'ers because Bill Walsh was a God.

MaddMatter

Street Cred : 125

http://www.sportsworldforums.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ July 16th 2011, 7:06 pm

TheDrunkGuyOnTheCouch wrote:Steelers had all-time great HOFers at literally every position, 49ers had Montana, Rice, and Lott...#justsayin

The better Dynasty? Hemad
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Back to top Go down

Post  Pintsizedjark July 16th 2011, 7:32 pm

I feel like the players are now are bigger, stronger, and faster then athletes of past decades..it doesn't hurt that Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are all time greats...I voted for the Patriots.

Pintsizedjark

Street Cred : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomReturns93 July 16th 2011, 8:28 pm

MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:

The better Dynasty? Hemad
Laughing
PhantomReturns93
PhantomReturns93

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 July 16th 2011, 11:06 pm

what SF did in the 80s was basically unheard of. they had it all. offense, defense, special teams.

the 70s steelers were good but because their defense was out of this world. in 76 when they had a chance to repeat, their defense was actually (statistically) better than 74, 75, 77, and 78. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Street Cred : 195

Back to top Go down

Post  Soarindude02 July 16th 2011, 11:08 pm

I would love to see Around the Horn do a story on this. It would be interesting, hilarious, and downright... Shocked
Soarindude02
Soarindude02

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 July 16th 2011, 11:14 pm

Soarindude02 wrote:I would love to see Around the Horn do a story on this. It would be interesting, hilarious, and downright... Shocked

they barely use stats

I AM THE STAT MASTER
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Street Cred : 195

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU11 July 17th 2011, 1:22 pm

49ers

did they not do it with 2 different qbs by the way???

first montana and then young ???

i think as a dynasty they where more succesfull then those other teams over a longer period.

but if im wrong here please feel free to point out what i missed Razz
TRU11
TRU11

Street Cred : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ July 17th 2011, 1:47 pm

TRU11 wrote:49ers

i think as a dynasty they where more succesfull then those other teams over a longer period.

the 49ers won the Superbowl with Young in 1994, not in the 80's
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU11 July 17th 2011, 4:55 pm

MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:

my bad lol.

i thought young won more sbs
TRU11
TRU11

Street Cred : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Soarindude02 July 17th 2011, 7:39 pm

TRU11 wrote:
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:

my bad lol.

i thought young won more sbs

I find it odd that the Niners did really well in the 80's, pretty good in the 90's and shitty in the 2000's, and they still will not go back to the old uniforms. Maybe going back, 10, 20 years will you give you guys some more luck!
Soarindude02
Soarindude02

Back to top Go down

Post  KWicK78 July 18th 2011, 4:17 pm

Young was better than Montana. There, I said it. And I'll stick by it.

Bill Walsh was the biggest reason for success in the 80's and 90's. He was the single best talent evaluator (not a word, sorry) the NFL has seen. Parcells comes close, but Walsh was brilliant. He created a system that most teams today have tried to adapt and make their own.

Joe Montana was good, Jerry Rice is the best WR of all time. But Bill Walsh is the reason that the 49ers were good.

ON TOPIC:

The Steelers are hard to argue with. They were just so damn good. They had the skill, the attitude. They were a FOOTBALL team. The kind of team that everyone wants to be.

The homer in me says Niners, obviously. I'll have to think this over.

oh as per the uniforms-- I think throwbacks should stay throwbacks. It's what makes them special
KWicK78
KWicK78

Street Cred : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down