Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

DRAFT: QB's

+6
MyDirtyDangles
scrimmage
Mutant
EPICxPENGUIN69
KWicK78
MaddMatter
10 posters

Go down

DRAFT: QB's  Empty DRAFT: QB's

Post  MaddMatter April 16th 2011, 11:12 am

Who are your top QB's and what do you think of the "top notch" QB's in this draft?

I'm probably going to into full blown draft mode after the Wings game today, get out my draft magizines and just study lol. So I want to get some draft talk going.

Top 3 QB's in the draft that YOU would want to draft if you were a GM looking for a QB.

And what do you think of Gabbert and Newton?

MaddMatter

Street Cred : 125

http://www.sportsworldforums.com

Back to top Go down

DRAFT: QB's  Empty Re: DRAFT: QB's

Post  KWicK78 April 16th 2011, 11:39 am

In general:

Newton
Locker
Kapernick or Mallett

I don't really like Mallett, and I think Gabber, Dalton, and Ponder will all fail.

For the Niners:
Locker
Kapernick
Mallett/Newton

We need someone with plenty of starting experience IMO. I don't put a lot into the "comes from a pro style offense" argument. I just want a guy who has played games and knows how to learn and lead.
KWicK78
KWicK78

Street Cred : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 April 16th 2011, 12:47 pm

Newton: Freak Qbs do not succeed in the NFL nor will Newton.

Gabbert: I will play conspiracy theorist and say that they needed a kid to make the top QB and pick him because everyone was pissed that Locker went back to get his degree and win a bowl game. how dare he.

Locker: Best Qb in the draft. He has everything you want in a QB. He has the heart of Tom Brady, Mind of Manning, Athleticism (4.5 40), down played accuracy. people complain about his completion percentage but they fail to watch tape and understand why his percentage is 59%

Ponder: good kid, I see a little chad pennington there. not the biggest arm, accurate, pretty athletic.

Colin K: Underrated. He took a pretty bad Nevada team and lead them to a one lose season. People will talk about the pistol but you know what? All that stuff is making its way to the NFL anyway. He is a good athlete with a good arm who is best throwing on the run. I am sure a lot of teams would keep him around a while.

Mallet: I would say most overrated QB in the draft but he falls 3rd behind Gabbert and Newton. Yes, we get it, he is 6'7 and can throw an 80 yard bomb. He throws some dumb dumb throws and he has accuracy trouble.

Dalton: Most underrated QB in the draft. so what if he comes from a spread offense. This kid just wins. He is clutch. 2nd all time in NCAA in wins. not the best athlete and some times gets flushed to early in the pocket but he finds a way to stay in the game to eventually pull it out in the end. sometimes you look at someone and you say "they have something" and you cant explain it, he has it.

GM: I am a GM and I am looking for a QB. I am taking Locker. On and off the field he is everything you want. Newton, Gabbert, and Mallet all may have 1 thing they are awesome at, Locker is really good at a lot of things also he is a champ off the field.
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Street Cred : 195

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant April 16th 2011, 1:09 pm

Mallet is just Derek Anderson Mk. II.

He's big, has a big arm, is static in the pocket, makes bone headed calls, tries to force the ball to someone who's covered - all arributes thet DA has.
Mutant
Mutant

Street Cred : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 April 16th 2011, 1:19 pm

MUTANT! wrote:Mallet is just Derek Anderson Mk. II.

He's big, has a big arm, is static in the pocket, makes bone headed calls, tries to force the ball to someone who's covered - all arributes thet DA has.

I can totally tell you are english because you said mark II.

derek anderson comparison is dead on though
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  scrimmage April 16th 2011, 5:23 pm

None of the QBs are anything special
scrimmage
scrimmage

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  MyDirtyDangles April 16th 2011, 5:24 pm

scrimmage wrote:None of the QBs are anything special

especially cam newton.
MyDirtyDangles
MyDirtyDangles

Street Cred : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  Soarindude02 April 16th 2011, 5:34 pm

Overated:
Gabbert
Ponder
Newton
--------------
As a GM, I would have to take Locker or Mallett. They are both very different, and I think both can succseed with the right help. You guys all trashing Mallett is a little silly, this man was a beast in College and just because he throws the ball deep does not mean hes going to throw a lot of INT's. It seems like today its a bad thing to have an arm because everyone thinks, oh this guy most like to be risky. I loved watching Arkansas and see how exciting he was. He was smart with the ball, and has tools to throw it.

Ponder does not have the Tools to be an NFL QB. Thats all I have to explain about him.
Soarindude02
Soarindude02

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 April 16th 2011, 5:46 pm

Soarindude02 wrote:Overated:
Gabbert
Ponder
Newton
--------------
As a GM, I would have to take Locker or Mallett. They are both very different, and I think both can succseed with the right help. You guys all trashing Mallett is a little silly, this man was a beast in College and just because he throws the ball deep does not mean hes going to throw a lot of INT's. It seems like today its a bad thing to have an arm because everyone thinks, oh this guy most like to be risky. I loved watching Arkansas and see how exciting he was. He was smart with the ball, and has tools to throw it.

Ponder does not have the Tools to be an NFL QB. Thats all I have to explain about him.

I am not trashing mallet. I do like his arm and size. My concern is that he will go in the 1st round to a team that will try and rush him. You take a guy like Mallet just groom him a year or two. Same with Locker. Just let him sit a year under a guy like ryan fitz in buff. A guy who was highly regarded out of college but still did something with his career.
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  Soarindude02 April 16th 2011, 6:02 pm

EpicxPlatypus69 wrote:
Soarindude02 wrote:Overated:
Gabbert
Ponder
Newton
--------------

I am not trashing mallet. I do like his arm and size. My concern is that he will go in the 1st round to a team that will try and rush him. You take a guy like Mallet just groom him a year or two. Same with Locker. Just let him sit a year under a guy like ryan fitz in buff. A guy who was highly regarded out of college but still did something with his career.

I agree with what you said. He really needs to learn, but I am not throwing him under the bus. I was not just talking about you, but many of the ESPN analysis and other mocks.
Soarindude02
Soarindude02

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 April 16th 2011, 6:09 pm

I hate ESPN. They drop locker out of the 1st round all together because he went back to school. I think he had a better season last year than his junior year. statistically no but he won more games, more of a leader, and made better passes.

mallet didnt come from a true pro style system. they ran a ton of vertical stretch route combos (possibly because of his arm) but the oline blocking system they used was completely different.

just take a guy and let him sit a year but play him a little bit you know. go the joe montana route. no starts but relief play and work him in a lot the next year.
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter April 16th 2011, 9:37 pm

I always like getting Epics input because he actually plays college ball. Laughing

For me:

Underrated:

Ricky Stanzi, Iowa: He didn't WOW you, but he got the job done. More importantly he got the job done in when it mattered. He was 3-0 in Bowl Games. his accuracy improved each year. Didn't have any big name WR's. Offense started to slowly revolve around him in school. Attempting only 254 passes his sophomore year but 345 his season year. He seems like the leader of the team and can move the ball when needed under pressure (see Michigan State 2009). One of the main knocks against him I've been hearing about is his accuracy. He may not be the most accurate but I think some of that comes with the talent at WR.

Greg McElroy, Alabama: Extremely smart. Great accuracy and a proven winner. It's true he was surrounded by talent at Alabama. But he is a winner, he won in high school and won in college. Possibly had 2 1st round picks on the offensive skill positions (Julio Jones, Mark Ingram). But give him some time to develop I think he can be pretty damn good. I don't know if anyone saw the Sports Science thing about pressure, but they had the QB's move their hand through a sensor every time it lit up, then they started asking questions. McElroy was the only QB that had his reaction time IMPROVE while getting asked the questions.

Overrated:

Cam Newton: He started ONE season at the D-1 level..or whatever it's called now. He has a HUGE ego and to be honest I think he's a thug. (Stealing computers, practically getting expelled from Florida, "selling himself" to colleges.) Also, from what I saw of him, he was a one read type of guy. What I mean is, he would take the snap, look at his primary receiver, if he was not open he would take off, if he could not take off he would run around like a chicken with his head cut off to wait until someone got open. That won't work in the pro's the athletes are bigger,stronger and faster and WILL bring him down. Jamarcus Russell was big and strong too, but he got sacked a lot.

MaddMatter

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 April 16th 2011, 10:34 pm

I believ Stanzi and McElroy are the kind of QB you want as a backup/Emergency QB.

Everydraft there is a team that takes guys like that and you have a Tom Brady type thing happen. Starter goes down, in steps young kid. You saw it with David Garrard, Ryan Fitzpatrick and you see them used as trade bait like matt hasselbeck back in the day.

both can serve a long time in the league

Newton...I still have no idea why he is rated a 1st round talent. I wouldnt take him in the 5th
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomReturns93 April 16th 2011, 10:38 pm

If I had to rank my top 5 right now, I'd say

1. Ponder
2. Gabbert
3. Newton
4. Locker
5. Dalton

I think Tyrod Taylor could be developed into a good starter if he were drafted late by Philly and got to work and study under Vick for a few years (Kind of like Favre and Rodgers, but with super-mobile and agile black QB's lol) but I don't think he'll be anything special anywhere else.
PhantomReturns93
PhantomReturns93

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter April 17th 2011, 1:23 am

EpicxPlatypus69 wrote:I believ Stanzi and McElroy are the kind of QB you want as a backup/Emergency QB.

Everydraft there is a team that takes guys like that and you have a Tom Brady type thing happen. Starter goes down, in steps young kid. You saw it with David Garrard, Ryan Fitzpatrick and you see them used as trade bait like matt hasselbeck back in the day.

both can serve a long time in the league

Newton...I still have no idea why he is rated a 1st round talent. I wouldnt take him in the 5th

Agreed. I'm not too high on any of the QB's this year, but if I HAD to take one, I would take one of those two. Newton.....he just has BUST written all over him doesn't he? I just hate everything about Cash Newton. They're looking more at the potential than the actual facts with Newton. Which is stupid.

MaddMatter

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU11 April 17th 2011, 6:36 am

only tyrod taylor i like all others qbs suck imo.
TRU11
TRU11

Street Cred : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Soarindude02 April 18th 2011, 8:07 pm

PhantomJB93 wrote:If I had to rank my top 5 right now, I'd say

1. Ponder
2. Gabbert
3. Newton
4. Locker
5. Dalton

I think Tyrod Taylor could be developed into a good starter if he were drafted late by Philly and got to work and study under Vick for a few years (Kind of like Favre and Rodgers, but with super-mobile and agile black QB's lol) but I don't think he'll be anything special anywhere else.
No, just..no.
Soarindude02
Soarindude02

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelersJMB April 18th 2011, 8:28 pm

Ill wait till next year to pay attention to QBs
SteelersJMB
SteelersJMB

Street Cred : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  MyDirtyDangles April 18th 2011, 10:04 pm

SteelersJMB wrote:Ill wait till next year to pay attention to QBs

same. theres one word to describe all of them:

OVERRATED
MyDirtyDangles
MyDirtyDangles

Street Cred : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 April 18th 2011, 11:29 pm

MyDirtyDangles wrote:
SteelersJMB wrote:Ill wait till next year to pay attention to QBs

same. theres one word to describe all of them:

OVERRATED

all except one. locker is underrated, newton overrated, gabbert i have no idea why anyone thinks he is top 5 material
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down