Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

3 "sleeper" teams for 2011

+4
KWicK78
Mutant
BaltRavensFan20
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
8 posters

Go down

3 "sleeper" teams for 2011 Empty 3 "sleeper" teams for 2011

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ September 7th 2011, 11:30 am

Every year some teams emerge out of the blue and end up near the top of the league. These are my top candidates to do so in 2011.

Detroit Lions

This is the trendy sleeper pick. The defensive line is going to be one of the best in the league. They keep in tact an excellent starting unit and add immensely Nick Fairley to develop at his own pace. Ndamukong Suh figures to get even better with a year of experience under his belt, which is terrifying. He is on pace to become the Revis of defensive tackles. They have a top five wide receiver in Calvin Johnson on the offensive side of the ball.

I think they might be a year away. Why? Matt Stafford is a question mark. He has problems staying healthy. He is also unproven. He was every bit as shaky as Mark Sanchez as a rookie in 2009 and was barely on the field last year. Their running back situation is unclear. Jahvid Best has not shown he can carry the load. Mikel Leshoure is out for the year. The back seven on defense is every bit as big a question mark as the front four looks like a slam dunk to be excellent.

With this said, I could definitely see Matt Stafford emerging as a star and the defensive line carrying the unit. If you are going to be strong anywhere, it is best up front. No fans deserve a Playoff trip more than those in Detroit.

Houston Texans

When I look at this situation close, I am not a huge fan. I am not high on the head coach-quarterback combo, which is very important in the NFL. I have seen Gary Kubiak's teams melt down in big spots far too often. Matt Schaub puts up great numbers, but he has not displayed he is on the Brady/Rivers level where he can carry a team deficient in other areas. I also have questions about a position change for the best player on defense. Yes, the Texans are going to a 3-4 scheme, but Mario Williams would have fit as a defensive end. The kind of 3-4 they are running is not one where the linemen are responsibly for tying up blockers. The linemen in this system are supposed to shoot gaps and win matchups.

Looking at it from afar, there is a lot to like. The offense figures to be near the top of the league as it has been the past few years. The problem has really been the defense. Maybe I am putting too much faith in new coordinator Wade Phillips, but I expect him to make the ship straight. He is a fantastic defensive coordinator. Why do you think he keeps getting chances to fail as a head coach?

The weak link of the defense was the secondary. It was beyond horrid last year. The Texans will likely have substantial upgrades in all four spots. Johnathan Joseph is a huge upgrade at one corner. So is Daniel Manning at one safety spot. Glover Quin moves from corner to the other safety spot. Kareem Jackson has to have improved at the other corner. He was so bad as a rookie that he could not have helped but gotten better. If not, Brandon Harris might be able to step up. They also have some potential impact rookies in J.J. Watt and Brooks Reed.

I have questions about Schaub, but he will not need to carry the load with Phillips in town. Can Kubiak blow it with a high flying offense and a competent defense? Given Peyton Manning's uncertain status, the Texans might be favorites to win the AFC South.

St. Louis Rams

They made a huge leap last year. Sam Bradford now has a year under his belt. I am buying high on the Bradford-Josh McDaniels combo. While the receiving corps is not spectacular, it has been upgraded with Mike Sims-Walker, Austin Pettis, and Lance Kendricks now in the mix. I also like some under the radar veteran additions to join what became a good pass rush anchored by Chris Long. I expect the Rams to take the NFC West and to do so with a good record.

post yours
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Street Cred : 95

Back to top Go down

3 "sleeper" teams for 2011 Empty Re: 3 "sleeper" teams for 2011

Post  BaltRavensFan20 September 7th 2011, 11:55 am

MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:Every year some teams emerge out of the blue and end up near the top of the league. These are my top candidates to do so in 2011.

Detroit Lions

This is the trendy sleeper pick. The defensive line is going to be one of the best in the league. They keep in tact an excellent starting unit and add immensely Nick Fairley to develop at his own pace. Ndamukong Suh figures to get even better with a year of experience under his belt, which is terrifying. He is on pace to become the Revis of defensive tackles. They have a top five wide receiver in Calvin Johnson on the offensive side of the ball.

I think they might be a year away. Why? Matt Stafford is a question mark. He has problems staying healthy. He is also unproven. He was every bit as shaky as Mark Sanchez as a rookie in 2009 and was barely on the field last year. Their running back situation is unclear. Jahvid Best has not shown he can carry the load. Mikel Leshoure is out for the year. The back seven on defense is every bit as big a question mark as the front four looks like a slam dunk to be excellent.

With this said, I could definitely see Matt Stafford emerging as a star and the defensive line carrying the unit. If you are going to be strong anywhere, it is best up front. No fans deserve a Playoff trip more than those in Detroit.

Houston Texans

When I look at this situation close, I am not a huge fan. I am not high on the head coach-quarterback combo, which is very important in the NFL. I have seen Gary Kubiak's teams melt down in big spots far too often. Matt Schaub puts up great numbers, but he has not displayed he is on the Brady/Rivers level where he can carry a team deficient in other areas. I also have questions about a position change for the best player on defense. Yes, the Texans are going to a 3-4 scheme, but Mario Williams would have fit as a defensive end. The kind of 3-4 they are running is not one where the linemen are responsibly for tying up blockers. The linemen in this system are supposed to shoot gaps and win matchups.

Looking at it from afar, there is a lot to like. The offense figures to be near the top of the league as it has been the past few years. The problem has really been the defense. Maybe I am putting too much faith in new coordinator Wade Phillips, but I expect him to make the ship straight. He is a fantastic defensive coordinator. Why do you think he keeps getting chances to fail as a head coach?

The weak link of the defense was the secondary. It was beyond horrid last year. The Texans will likely have substantial upgrades in all four spots. Johnathan Joseph is a huge upgrade at one corner. So is Daniel Manning at one safety spot. Glover Quin moves from corner to the other safety spot. Kareem Jackson has to have improved at the other corner. He was so bad as a rookie that he could not have helped but gotten better. If not, Brandon Harris might be able to step up. They also have some potential impact rookies in J.J. Watt and Brooks Reed.

I have questions about Schaub, but he will not need to carry the load with Phillips in town. Can Kubiak blow it with a high flying offense and a competent defense? Given Peyton Manning's uncertain status, the Texans might be favorites to win the AFC South.

St. Louis Rams

They made a huge leap last year. Sam Bradford now has a year under his belt. I am buying high on the Bradford-Josh McDaniels combo. While the receiving corps is not spectacular, it has been upgraded with Mike Sims-Walker, Austin Pettis, and Lance Kendricks now in the mix. I also like some under the radar veteran additions to join what became a good pass rush anchored by Chris Long. I expect the Rams to take the NFC West and to do so with a good record.

post yours

I dont know if Id call stafford unproven. He looked very very good in preseason and poised. Yeah, its only preseason, but its good that he has looked good so far....
BaltRavensFan20
BaltRavensFan20

Street Cred : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant September 7th 2011, 12:16 pm

Browns
I have a funny feeling about the Browns. Like the Lions they've gradually been improving over the past few years. The Steelers usually play like shit after winning a Super Bowl and go 8-8 and miss the play-offs. I'm interested in seeing if the same thing happens when they lose one. That could be the Browns' cue to make a move on the AFC North much like the Bengals did in 2009 after the Steelers STOLE Super Bowl 43 Sad.

Don't know if they'll make the play-offs but they'll definately improve on their 6-10 record from last season and visiting the NFC West and playing the Bungles twice can only help them.

Texans

I was going to put the Jaguars here. But they cut Garrand. That I think makes it the Texans' division to lose. The Colts are fucked with Manning out indefinately and even if he returns, he won't be 100%. Last time Manning missed the off-season (pre-season, training camp) the Titans won the division in 2008 - only the second time in Manning's career that he's failed to win the South.

The Texans offense is beastly. A 4000 yard QB, a 1600 yard RB, and a 1400 yard WR. That gives them huge options. The only problem is the defense. They have a new system and Mario Williams has to get used to playing at OLB but if the Colts can win games with no D, why can't the Texans win it with only half a D?

Can't really think of a 3rd team. I'm a Cardinals fan so I don't give a fuck about the Rams and I'm tired of trying to explain why the Cards won't go 6-10/5-11 like most people are predicting *glares furiously at Matt, Hokie, and Soarin*. Although I do think they'll be a sleeper team (you just watch! Kolb is Warner v2.0!).

As for the Lions? They'll be a sleeper too but everyone thinks so and I'll just be repeating everything that others have said.

Only other possible sleeper I can think of is the Raiders. But losing Nmandi my effect that. They did go 6-0 in their division last year which is an incredible feat especially for a team which has sucked for so long. They can only get better after that, surely?
Mutant
Mutant

Street Cred : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  KWicK78 September 7th 2011, 3:16 pm

49ers.

Last year we were expected to run away with the division, and we sucked.

This year we are expected to suck, and we'll run away with the division.
KWicK78
KWicK78

Street Cred : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ September 7th 2011, 4:45 pm

KWicK78 wrote:49ers.

i like the reverse phsycology theory cheers
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Back to top Go down

Post  KWicK78 September 7th 2011, 6:10 pm

MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:

Lol it's all I have this year. We are so bad. I just hope Frank gets his 1,000
KWicK78
KWicK78

Back to top Go down

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ September 7th 2011, 7:13 pm

KWicK78 wrote:
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:

I think he will get his 1k...i really think the 9ers should investigate Garrard, hes definetly better than Alex Smith
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Back to top Go down

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ September 7th 2011, 7:30 pm

Mutant wrote:Browns
I have a funny feeling about the Browns. Like the Lions they've gradually been improving over the past few years. The Steelers usually play like shit after winning a Super Bowl and go 8-8 and miss the play-offs. I'm interested in seeing if the same thing happens when they lose one. That could be the Browns' cue to make a move on the AFC North much like the Bengals did in 2009 after the Steelers STOLE Super Bowl 43 Sad.

Don't know if they'll make the play-offs but they'll definately improve on their 6-10 record from last season and visiting the NFC West and playing the Bungles twice can only help them.

Texans

I was going to put the Jaguars here. But they cut Garrand. That I think makes it the Texans' division to lose. The Colts are fucked with Manning out indefinately and even if he returns, he won't be 100%. Last time Manning missed the off-season (pre-season, training camp) the Titans won the division in 2008 - only the second time in Manning's career that he's failed to win the South.

The Texans offense is beastly. A 4000 yard QB, a 1600 yard RB, and a 1400 yard WR. That gives them huge options. The only problem is the defense. They have a new system and Mario Williams has to get used to playing at OLB but if the Colts can win games with no D, why can't the Texans win it with only half a D?

Can't really think of a 3rd team. I'm a Cardinals fan so I don't give a fuck about the Rams and I'm tired of trying to explain why the Cards won't go 6-10/5-11 like most people are predicting *glares furiously at Matt, Hokie, and Soarin*. Although I do think they'll be a sleeper team (you just watch! Kolb is Warner v2.0!).

As for the Lions? They'll be a sleeper too but everyone thinks so and I'll just be repeating everything that others have said.

Only other possible sleeper I can think of is the Raiders. But losing Nmandi my effect that. They did go 6-0 in their division last year which is an incredible feat especially for a team which has sucked for so long. They can only get better after that, surely?

i was actually going to put the Brownies in there instead of Texans but with Manning likely out for half the season i believe the texans will take full advantage and secure a lead in that division...Brownies on the rise though, they really looked good this pre season.
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Back to top Go down

Post  KWicK78 September 7th 2011, 8:38 pm

MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:
KWicK78 wrote:
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:

I think he will get his 1k...i really think the 9ers should investigate Garrard, hes definetly better than Alex Smith

Agree. But he isn't the future any more than Smith is. I think this is a bide time and have a young QB learn from vets year. Kaepernick will start next year. This is just a year to get our pieces together.
KWicK78
KWicK78

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU11 September 8th 2011, 4:46 am

MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:

Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz
TRU11
TRU11

Street Cred : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Nef77 September 8th 2011, 8:37 am

KWicK78 wrote:
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:
KWicK78 wrote:
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:

Agree. But he isn't the future any more than Smith is. I think this is a bide time and have a young QB learn from vets year. Kaepernick will start next year. This is just a year to get our pieces together.

Meh. I like Kaep because he helps me kill my friend and his stupid Eagles on Madden (please don't dock his accuracy Donny). As for the future, if any QB has the tools on our team, it's Tolizen.

1) His OC in NCAA is the QB Coaches brother
2) Got the feel of a QB. See the man and do something. Either throw or look elsewhere.
3) Got an accurate arm and makes smart decisions.
4) Came from Wisconsin, Pro Style QB.

Guy needs to work on throwing on the move.

or we can take our ass whooping this year and grab either Luck, Moore, Barkley, or Jones in the next draft.
Nef77
Nef77

Street Cred : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  legendkiller716 September 14th 2011, 12:11 am

Why did the 9ers drop Nate Davis? He was the best QB on the roster IMO.
legendkiller716
legendkiller716

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  tubbs51 September 14th 2011, 12:40 am

i wouldnt say Rams... their Injury List is already getting fairly long... then again they're in the NFC West Razz
tubbs51
tubbs51

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  Nef77 September 14th 2011, 1:39 am

legendkiller716 wrote:Why did the 9ers drop Nate Davis? He was the best QB on the roster IMO.
Because he was labeled as lazy below average QB by a coach who didn't know how to scout or develop QB's.
Nef77
Nef77

Street Cred : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ September 14th 2011, 2:09 am

Nef77 wrote:
legendkiller716 wrote:Why did the 9ers drop Nate Davis? He was the best QB on the roster IMO.
Because he was labeled as lazy below average QB by a coach who didn't know how to scout or develop QB's.

sounds like they know what they doin out there in 9erland bounce
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Back to top Go down

Post  KWicK78 September 14th 2011, 5:57 am

Nef77 wrote:

This. I fully believe that Aaron Rodgers would've been in the same situation that Alex Smith is right now had we drafted him instead. Our organization is not good with QBs anymore. We can't draft talent consistently since Bill Walsh left.

@Puppetz-- Jed York. He is the answer to your post. He is our Matt Millen (not nearly as effective at destroying a team as Millen, but just as incompetent).

@Neff-- I wish we would have gone outside the organization for a GM. Nothing against Baalke, but we need new blood in the front office.
KWicK78
KWicK78

Back to top Go down

Post  tubbs51 September 14th 2011, 2:42 pm

MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:
Nef77 wrote:

sounds like they know what they doin out there in 9erland bounce

Maybe they're right... After all Pete Carroll and Co gave Davis a shot up here and he didnt stay long... Question Question Question
tubbs51
tubbs51

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down