Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

Rugby World Cup Kicks off

3 posters

Go down

Rugby World Cup Kicks off Empty Rugby World Cup Kicks off

Post  barneyb September 6th 2011, 10:17 am

Not only is this weekend the beginning to the nfl season, it is also the weekend the rugby world cup starts. If any of you are interested the first USA match is against Ireland and it is a 6 local time on sunday. That works out to 2am if any of you are keen enough to stay up and watch
barneyb
barneyb

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Rugby World Cup Kicks off Empty Re: Rugby World Cup Kicks off

Post  Mutant September 6th 2011, 11:56 am

Was gonna post this too.

It might be the start of the NFL season and college foorball has just got underway, but you haven't already, give rugby a look see.

Big burly men wearing no protection outside the odd thinly padded helmet or some bandage and duct tape to protect the ears, knocking seven bells of shit out of each other for 80 minutes.

It's brutal
It's agressive
It's got big hits
And the players aren't cissy girls
So it's right up a football or hockey fans street

Brien, I really don't watch as much rugger as I should. Not since the last World Cup actually. So I have no idea who the team is. I don't suppose Andrew Sheridan is still playing? He was a fucking monster in the last WC. Still have taht memory of our front 3 destroying the Aussie scrum.
Mutant
Mutant

Street Cred : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  barneyb September 6th 2011, 1:33 pm

Yeah sheridan is still playing, he is a true beast

The great thing about the rugby world cup is because all the players are picked from their respective clubs to play for their country you get a fierce national pride associated with each player playing for their country. Something that you dont get so much with players in the nfl with free agency and the mercenary nature of some of the players.
barneyb
barneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant September 6th 2011, 1:56 pm

bp_brien wrote:Yeah sheridan is still playing, he is a true beast

The great thing about the rugby world cup is because all the players are picked from their respective clubs to play for their country you get a fierce national pride associated with each player playing for their country. Something that you dont get so much with players in the nfl with free agency and the mercenary nature of some of the players.

Well, that depends.

The Rugby WC is an International event. You play for London irish and get called up and that gives you a sense of national pride to be pulling on the famous red rose jersey.

The NFL won't really have that because there's no International World Cup style event that the superstars and all get picked to play. Yes, there is an American Football World Cup but you won't see Chris Johnson and Pat Willis repping Team USA.

If the USA weren't the only country in the world who play football at an elite pro level, there might be a real World Cup where the best players in the world play like soccer and rugby. Instead they get some weak ass event where Division 1AA back-up college players rep the Team USA and still win the WC and beat Australia 64-0.

Happy to hear Sheridan still plays. Looking forward to playing Argentina.
Mutant
Mutant

Back to top Go down

Post  barneyb September 6th 2011, 2:00 pm

Mutant wrote:

Well, that depends.

The Rugby WC is an International event. You play for London irish and get called up and that gives you a sense of national pride to be pulling on the famous red rose jersey.

The NFL won't really have that because there's no International World Cup style event that the superstars and all get picked to play. Yes, there is an American Football World Cup but you won't see Chris Johnson and Pat Willis repping Team USA.

If the USA weren't the only country in the world who play football at an elite pro level, there might be a real World Cup where the best players in the world play like soccer and rugby. Instead they get some weak ass event where Division 1AA back-up college players rep the Team USA and still win the WC and beat Australia 64-0.

That is pretty much exactly what I was saying, the national pride you get in the rugby world cup is something you just dont get in the nfl as it is teams getting called up for their country
barneyb
barneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant September 6th 2011, 2:47 pm

bp_brien wrote:
Mutant wrote:

Well, that depends.

That is pretty much exactly what I was saying, the national pride you get in the rugby world cup is something you just dont get in the nfl as it is teams getting called up for their country

Oh yeah. Silly me, I thought you were comparing the club teams in the NFL to the England national team. D'oh.
Mutant
Mutant

Back to top Go down

Post  HurpDurpHurray September 6th 2011, 8:30 pm

I think it's on live for me at like 3 or 4 am so I don't think I'll be seeing much rugby lol
HurpDurpHurray
HurpDurpHurray

Street Cred : 241

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant September 10th 2011, 7:36 am

So it started. I hate it when these major sporting events get held in New Zealand or Australia. Means that most of the group games are on at 4 in the fucking morning.

Even England vs Argentina was on a 9am this morning. Which is too early for sport in my opinion. I watched a little of the game but then went and got dressed and forgot about the game.

I hope some of the earlier games get repeated later in the day. I want to see New Zealand and England's games again.
Mutant
Mutant

Back to top Go down

Post  barneyb September 10th 2011, 9:43 am

Dissapointing start to england's world cup, scrappy game which wasnt helped by a referee who was so officious he would have not looked out of place in the gestapo.

Anyway this advert made me laugh
barneyb
barneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum