Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

Motivation or just, ick....

3 posters

Go down

Motivation or just, ick.... Empty Motivation or just, ick....

Post  RSoxGuy September 30th 2011, 3:33 pm

http://espn.go.com/high-school/story/_/id/7038739/junior-varsity-football-coach-suspended-taking-players-cemetery

JV coach suspended for cemetery stop

MARCELLUS, N.Y. -- The coach of a junior varsity football team has been suspended for making his players lie down in a central New York cemetery in an effort to motivate them after a loss.
The superintendent of the Marcellus school district outside Syracuse announced Thursday that coach Jim Marsh has been suspended for two weeks without pay.

Marsh, whose offer to resign was refused, will donate his remaining coaching salary to St. Francis Xavier cemetery, the Syracuse Post-Standard reported.

Marsh's team was returning from a loss Sept. 24 when he had the bus pull over at a cemetery and told the players to lie down in between and on the graves. The coach then talked to them about the importance of playing hard.

"(It) caused more confusion than understanding among adolescent players," Marcellus superintendent Craig Tice told the Post-Standard. "The unintended consequences outweighed the intended outcome."

Marsh apologized to his players and their parents during a meeting Thursday night, telling them he was trying to inspire the team by borrowing from a scene in "Remember the Titans."

"He took the responsibility," Tice said, explaining why he did not fire Marsh, the newspaper reported. "You probably could have talked to some who would like his resignation. But you would have found just as many who supported him. I can't make everybody happy. I felt this is an inspired solution that will lead to healing."

In "Remember the Titans," actor Denzel Washington portrays a coach who takes his players on a run through a former Civil War battleground in Gettysburg, Pa.

"Take a lesson from the dead," Washington's character says as the players stop to rest, "that if we don't come together right now in this hallowed ground, we, too, will be destroyed."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

I dunno. I dont think it was that bad considering my old HS was built next door to teh town's biggest cemetary. But maybe laying down on graves may have been going to far. I dunno, Ive had much worse emotional and physical abuse from football coaches than lying in a graveyard.

A small deal blown out of proprotion by over protective parents of kids who play JV. Its friggin JV for crying out loud. There are so many things you cant do in practice anymore (Bull in the ring, 6 inch leg lifts) due to parents saying its abusive and torture (of course none of them played a down of football). So the coach goes outside the box to get his kid's head in the game and people cry foul.

Tasteless move? Sure but, different coaches motivate in different ways. The kids were never in any danger in anyway shape or form. I dont think its that big of a deal.
RSoxGuy
RSoxGuy

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Motivation or just, ick.... Empty Re: Motivation or just, ick....

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 September 30th 2011, 5:43 pm

my coaches in both high school and college did much worse and made far less sense than this did. who cares.

my dline coach called me a fat fucking Homosexual to my face...during a game...with my mom and other moms standing there for breast cancer awareness. also it was during warm ups
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Street Cred : 195

Back to top Go down

Post  Thadden September 30th 2011, 9:35 pm

RSoxGuy wrote:http://espn.go.com/high-school/story/_/id/7038739/junior-varsity-football-coach-suspended-taking-players-cemetery

JV coach suspended for cemetery stop

MARCELLUS, N.Y. -- The coach of a junior varsity football team has been suspended for making his players lie down in a central New York cemetery in an effort to motivate them after a loss.
The superintendent of the Marcellus school district outside Syracuse announced Thursday that coach Jim Marsh has been suspended for two weeks without pay.

Marsh, whose offer to resign was refused, will donate his remaining coaching salary to St. Francis Xavier cemetery, the Syracuse Post-Standard reported.

Marsh's team was returning from a loss Sept. 24 when he had the bus pull over at a cemetery and told the players to lie down in between and on the graves. The coach then talked to them about the importance of playing hard.

"(It) caused more confusion than understanding among adolescent players," Marcellus superintendent Craig Tice told the Post-Standard. "The unintended consequences outweighed the intended outcome."

Marsh apologized to his players and their parents during a meeting Thursday night, telling them he was trying to inspire the team by borrowing from a scene in "Remember the Titans."

"He took the responsibility," Tice said, explaining why he did not fire Marsh, the newspaper reported. "You probably could have talked to some who would like his resignation. But you would have found just as many who supported him. I can't make everybody happy. I felt this is an inspired solution that will lead to healing."

In "Remember the Titans," actor Denzel Washington portrays a coach who takes his players on a run through a former Civil War battleground in Gettysburg, Pa.

"Take a lesson from the dead," Washington's character says as the players stop to rest, "that if we don't come together right now in this hallowed ground, we, too, will be destroyed."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

I dunno. I dont think it was that bad considering my old HS was built next door to teh town's biggest cemetary. But maybe laying down on graves may have been going to far. I dunno, Ive had much worse emotional and physical abuse from football coaches than lying in a graveyard.

A small deal blown out of proprotion by over protective parents of kids who play JV. Its friggin JV for crying out loud. There are so many things you cant do in practice anymore (Bull in the ring, 6 inch leg lifts) due to parents saying its abusive and torture (of course none of them played a down of football). So the coach goes outside the box to get his kid's head in the game and people cry foul.

Tasteless move? Sure but, different coaches motivate in different ways. The kids were never in any danger in anyway shape or form. I dont think its that big of a deal.
Bull in the ring? Done that once... 6 inch leg lifts? What are those? Just when you lift your legs 6 inches in the air. Ive done that a ton of times. They're hard but im actually pretty good at it compared to other people.
Thadden
Thadden

Street Cred : 44

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum