Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

Kickers are people too

2 posters

Go down

Kickers are people too Empty Kickers are people too

Post  tubbs51 October 19th 2012, 8:57 am

67 yard FG by a High school kicker. Admittedly i'm biased. The high school that won on the kid's leg is the High school i graduated from but still a damn good kick. Tied the game at 55 with 2 seconds left.
tubbs51
tubbs51

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Kickers are people too Empty Re: Kickers are people too

Post  RSoxGuy October 19th 2012, 10:48 am

Tied the game at 55 with 2 seconds left? WHY THE FUCK ARE THEY CHEERING???

If I was the coach on that team I would congratulate the kicker for a great job and remind the rest of the cheerleaders on the team 1) game isnt over, 2) if our Offense was somewhat decent we wouldn't be kicking 65+ yd field goals 3) YOURE NOT CHEERLEADERS, PUT YOUR FUCKING HELMETS ON AND FINISH THE GAME. Its 55 to fucking 55. Neither team played a spec of defense and should be humiliated. Not jumping up and down like they won the super bowl. Jeez.
RSoxGuy
RSoxGuy

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post  tubbs51 October 20th 2012, 1:08 am

Considering its one yard shy of the national record... The reason they kicked it was because Central Valley got the ball with 10 seconds left and had just enough time to do one quick play to get far enough. The kicker though told the HC that he could make it from there. Here's an ESPN Insider article about it further:

SPOKANE, Wash. -- Austin Rehkow approached his coach with a simple message.

“I want a shot at it,” Spokane Valley (Wash.) Central Valley’s senior kicker said. “I can make it.”

The Bears trailed Spokane (Wash.) Shadle Park by three points with several seconds left. Coach Rick Giampietri had two choices: Heave a Hail Mary or attempt a 67-yard field goal -- a separate sort of Hail Mary.

Rehkow knew he could make the kick. He asked for a chance. He knocked it through the uprights as time expired. He forced overtime, helping Central Valley pull out a wild, 62-55, victory.

“I knew we needed it for the tie,” Rehkow said. “I felt confident in my leg strength. I went out there, you get that extra adrenaline going and then I let it rip. Luckily it stayed through the uprights. Once I saw the arms go up, it was just an overwhelming feeling of joy.”

After celebrating the win with his teammates, Rehkow admitted he had attempted a few field goals from 67 yards at practice earlier this week with the wind behind him.

“I didn’t make any of those,” he said. “So, to be able to do that in a game, it’s just a great feeling.”

Before that kick, Rehkow was 8-for-15 on the season. His previous personal best was from 56 yards.

Rehkow set the state record, which was held by Kelly Imhoff, who made a 62-yard kick in 1929 for Kent (Wash.). According to the National Federation of High Schools Record Book, the national record is held by Dirk Borgognone of Reno (Nev.), who made a 68-yard field goal in 1985.

Rehkow took the field Thursday with a partial scholarship offer from Eastern Washington. After his kick made national news, though, expect that interest to pick up.

“Hopefully it does,” Rehkow said. “I’m going to keep my options open and, hopefully, some offers arrive. I’m grateful for the one Eastern has proposed. Hopefully we get some more coming in here. I couldn’t have done it without a great team putting me in the position. The line gave me enough time. Good snap. Good hold.”

Late in the fourth quarter, with Central Valley and Shadle Park trading touchdowns, Rehkow saw the three-point differential. He looked over to a friend on the sideline and said, “We’re going to get a field goal.”

He proved prophetic.

After Shadle Park scored with 21 seconds to play, the Bears got one last shot to come up with something creative. They tried a hook-and-ladder and then turned the game over to Rehkow.

He made the kick that landed him in the national spotlight -- No. 2 on SportsCenter’s Top 10.

“It’s just a real humbling experience to hold the record now and put that one through,” he said.
tubbs51
tubbs51

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum