Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

Religion in Sports?

+2
BaltRavensFan20
MaddMatter
6 posters

Go down

Religion in Sports?  Empty Religion in Sports?

Post  MaddMatter December 1st 2012, 2:12 am

We hear it all the time "I'd like to thank God for helping us win the game." etc.

Players such as Jon Kitna, Tim Tebow, etc. go into their post game interviews and thank God for helping them win the game.

Now I don't care what religion you are a part of. Everyone has their own opinions and honestly I don't care what religion you are. Heck I like the Norse Gods and Greek Gods. But you don't hear me praising Thor for the power to overcome that stubborn nail.

But I CANNOT stand it when religion gets shoved into your face in post game interviews. Saying God helped you win a game is plain stupid. God does not care about football. Plus if your saying God helped you overcome and win the game, what does that say about the other team? God wanted them to lose?

I never liked it when people shove religion in your face. If someone asks you a question about the game, there is NO reason you should bring religion into it. Just answer the question. People don't turn on the post game interviews to hear you babble on about your religion. They want to hear about the game. If you want to thank God, or whoever, save that for your twitter or some other stuff. Just keep it out of the post game interviews.

What are your guys' thoughts on having the religion stuff shoved down your throats in post game interviews? Love it, hate it?

MaddMatter

Street Cred : 125

http://www.sportsworldforums.com

Back to top Go down

Religion in Sports?  Empty Re: Religion in Sports?

Post  BaltRavensFan20 December 1st 2012, 9:11 am

MaddMatter wrote:We hear it all the time "I'd like to thank God for helping us win the game." etc.

Players such as Jon Kitna, Tim Tebow, etc. go into their post game interviews and thank God for helping them win the game.

Now I don't care what religion you are a part of. Everyone has their own opinions and honestly I don't care what religion you are. Heck I like the Norse Gods and Greek Gods. But you don't hear me praising Thor for the power to overcome that stubborn nail.

But I CANNOT stand it when religion gets shoved into your face in post game interviews. Saying God helped you win a game is plain stupid. God does not care about football. Plus if your saying God helped you overcome and win the game, what does that say about the other team? God wanted them to lose?

I never liked it when people shove religion in your face. If someone asks you a question about the game, there is NO reason you should bring religion into it. Just answer the question. People don't turn on the post game interviews to hear you babble on about your religion. They want to hear about the game. If you want to thank God, or whoever, save that for your twitter or some other stuff. Just keep it out of the post game interviews.

What are your guys' thoughts on having the religion stuff shoved down your throats in post game interviews? Love it, hate it?

I'll start off by saying I'm a Christian myself, so I'll try not to sound bias.

Personally I don't mind it, I do get what your saying by saying God doesn't care about sports. I'll put it to you this way. As a Christian, I feel God works through people to show His will and everything and to provide an example (If that makes sense? I may not have explained it well). So while yes, God may not care about a football game, He might be using that players play, to show others His will and love. I know, to some that may sound corny and everything. Also, to me, those players have the right and freedom to talk about their religious beliefs and such, since there is freedom of speech and freedom of religion in this country. I don;'t see it as forcing it down your thoat. We all have free will here, if you don't like it, you can turn it off. No one is forcing you to watch it. I know that may sound ignorant and rude (so sorry if it does, it wasn't my intention), but its the truth. I know when obama comes on and starts talking about all his achievements and lies, and all that other stuff, I don't like hearing him either, but I also have the freedom to press the mute button on my t.v. so I don't have to hear him.

So yeah, just some of my feelings....
BaltRavensFan20
BaltRavensFan20

Street Cred : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  Thadden December 1st 2012, 12:27 pm

I am sort of Christian. I am an official member of the catholic church but I dont really attend church and I think it is corrupt and overall I just prefer to have my own relationship with God away from organized religion.

With that said I dont have an issue with it. We have the right to the 1st amendment in our country and if he wants to express it I guess they can. What I dislike is when Athiests try to disprove god to everyone and try to get others to join their (lack of) faith.

People get annoyed when Christians do that but that is what organized religion is. Their purpose is to recruit more followers to join their church. Athiesm is not a religion, it is a philosophy. I just would rather they stop trying to remove the word "God" from everything and stop fucking with Christmas.
Thadden
Thadden

Street Cred : 44

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 December 1st 2012, 4:34 pm

i dont give a shit what people believe. actions are seperate.

saying you won because god helped you, ok but thats douche, no biggy

kill people because god says so, not cool bro.
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Street Cred : 195

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptRCG2 December 1st 2012, 5:25 pm

I think it's great when people express a since appreciation for the gifts in their lives that have been provided by God. It's good to see great athletes who are humbled by the recognition of God's impact on what they do.

As for the comment about freedom of speech... The Bill of Rights is a document declaring certain God-given freedoms that, under our Constitution, cannot be imposed upon by government. Free people may backlash at someone's free speech whenever they want. The Constitution declares our rights, it does not grant or give them.
CaptRCG2
CaptRCG2

Street Cred : 86

Back to top Go down

Post  HurpDurpHurray December 1st 2012, 8:24 pm

EPICxSUPERxSTORM69 wrote:i dont give a shit what people believe. actions are seperate.

saying you won because god helped you, ok but thats douche, no biggy

kill people because god says so, not cool bro.

Funny story. A guy from work recently quit because he wanted to go to the military. The day he quit he told me that he was actually going to do some spiritual thing and said that he might join the military later but only if God wants him to. I just kept thinking to myself "I thought God said thou shall not kill?"
HurpDurpHurray
HurpDurpHurray

Street Cred : 241

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum