Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

WAR

5 posters

Go down

WAR Empty WAR

Post  MaddMatter April 2nd 2013, 7:19 pm

Stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Every time someone brings it up in debate/argument I hate baseball a little more.

Shit doesn't make sense. Baseball is a stats game but come on now. To me it just seems like something a 5 year old would come up with when he is losing an argument.

MaddMatter

Street Cred : 125

http://www.sportsworldforums.com

Back to top Go down

WAR Empty Re: WAR

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 April 2nd 2013, 7:31 pm

MaddMatter wrote:Stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Every time someone brings it up in debate/argument I hate baseball a little more.

Shit doesn't make sense. Baseball is a stats game but come on now. To me it just seems like something a 5 year old would come up with when he is losing an argument.

theres a baseball stats class for the next semester i signed up for. I took it primarily because 1. it takes care of my Q1 requirement and 2. I want to know what WAR is.

from what I understand. it is a players stats vers the major league average for that position and what it is in relation to the rest of the team and league average and SOMEHOW you end up with a number of how many games a year more that person will help you win instead of an average player.

listen, I am all for baseball stats, they work. Stats dont always work in football, shit, stats barely work any other sports like hockey and basketball like the non obvious ones like plus minus and fg% on a full moon after the summer solcese. Baseball stats work though, even the fielding % and shit. WAR does not make sense.
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Street Cred : 195

Back to top Go down

Post  HurpDurpHurray April 2nd 2013, 7:56 pm

I thought this thread would be about a war between North Korea and USA.

But ya it is retarded
HurpDurpHurray
HurpDurpHurray

Street Cred : 241

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 April 2nd 2013, 8:07 pm

HurpDurpHurray wrote:I thought this thread would be about a war between North Korea and USA.

But ya it is retarded

nope, just the war between stats that are useful and pointless
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter April 3rd 2013, 10:52 am

EPICx69 wrote:
MaddMatter wrote:Stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Every time someone brings it up in debate/argument I hate baseball a little more.

theres a baseball stats class for the next semester i signed up for. I took it primarily because 1. it takes care of my Q1 requirement and 2. I want to know what WAR is.

from what I understand. it is a players stats vers the major league average for that position and what it is in relation to the rest of the team and league average and SOMEHOW you end up with a number of how many games a year more that person will help you win instead of an average player.

listen, I am all for baseball stats, they work. Stats dont always work in football, shit, stats barely work any other sports like hockey and basketball like the non obvious ones like plus minus and fg% on a full moon after the summer solcese. Baseball stats work though, even the fielding % and shit. WAR does not make sense.

Lol for real though. It's basing something off of someone who doesn't exist or something like that

MaddMatter

Street Cred : 125

http://www.sportsworldforums.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Pintsizedjark April 3rd 2013, 11:50 am

looks like another QBR

Pintsizedjark

Street Cred : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 April 3rd 2013, 1:24 pm

Pintsizedjark wrote:looks like another QBR

No qbr is a fucking joke. They need an excuse to make tom brady look better than he already does. War is just an argument to see how much a particular player means to his team. Qbr has no formula, they basically watch film and give a play a 1 to 100 scale
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 April 3rd 2013, 8:26 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wins_above_replacement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_quarterback_rating

WAR seems, meh. QBR is officially the stupiest god damn rating on earth.
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  Pintsizedjark April 3rd 2013, 8:46 pm

qbr is hilarious, the scenarios will be something like:

John Smith: 20/23, 4 tds, 1 int, 350 yards (2-4 0 tds 1 int in 4th quarter) - 68 QBR
Jack Williams: 8/29, 1 td, 3 ints, 215 yards (3-3 1 td 0 int in 4th) - 98 QBR

Pintsizedjark

Street Cred : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 April 3rd 2013, 9:10 pm

Pintsizedjark wrote:qbr is hilarious, the scenarios will be something like:

John Smith: 20/23, 4 tds, 1 int, 350 yards (2-4 0 tds 1 int in 4th quarter) - 68 QBR

Listen, football is not a game built for stats and sabermetric type stuff. they sometimes add insight and stuff like when master brings up some weird fucking stats to make revis seem like the best corner ever. football is too much of a team sport with too many moving parts where as baseball is an individual sport disguised as a team sport.

baseball is built for stats. how many times do you hit the ball in the field of play out of how many time you went up. how many runs do you average per 9 innings. how often do you get on base. with walks, hits, and beans, how many people do you average on base per inning as a pitcher.

in football, things like yards per carry, yards per attempt, etc. they depend on too many things. system of play, surrounding cast, other teams match ups, who is injured, weather, etc.

a guy can throw for 400 yards (like tom brady) where a majority of his passes are dink and dunks with YAC but because his dudes get so much YAC his average attempt yardage goes up. but a dude who hucks it deep a lot and has a lower completion % has a lower attempt average even though he is hitting dudes 40 or 50 yards down field.
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ April 3rd 2013, 10:09 pm

EPICx69 wrote:

Listen, football is not a game built for stats and sabermetric type stuff. they sometimes add insight and stuff like when master brings up some weird fucking stats to make revis seem like the best corner ever.

wierd stuff like stats? cmon man, stats are only overated if the exagerrated number line exceeds the actual numbers and effectiveness the players puts out...for example, a CB like Deangelo Hall may "look" great statwise on PAPER because he might have gotten 8 INTS and returned 1 for a TD but in reality he is a revolving door for QBs to anally and orally rape on a weekly basis whereas Revis may not be a super "statician" with his modest 3 or 4 INTs but the guy rarely gets beaten for a catch..which would you rather have? this goes for Deion "SHOWBOAT" Sanders, the biggest fRAUD at CB ever!!! the guy would get beat for 200+ yards a game but if he returned a Punt or Kickoff or INT for a TD, thats all you would see on ESPN, you wouldnt see him getting lambasted on the daily
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Street Cred : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 April 3rd 2013, 10:18 pm

MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:
EPICx69 wrote:

Listen, football is not a game built for stats and sabermetric type stuff. they sometimes add insight and stuff like when master brings up some weird fucking stats to make revis seem like the best corner ever.

wierd stuff like stats? cmon man, stats are only overated if the exagerrated number line exceeds the actual numbers and effectiveness the players puts out...for example, a CB like Deangelo Hall may "look" great statwise on PAPER because he might have gotten 8 INTS and returned 1 for a TD but in reality he is a revolving door for QBs to anally and orally rape on a weekly basis whereas Revis may not be a super "statician" with his modest 3 or 4 INTs but the guy rarely gets beaten for a catch..which would you rather have? this goes for Deion "SHOWBOAT" Sanders, the biggest fRAUD at CB ever!!! the guy would get beat for 200+ yards a game but if he returned a Punt or Kickoff or INT for a TD, thats all you would see on ESPN, you wouldnt see him getting lambasted on the daily

cant tell if you are trying to agree with me or something but yea, basically what I am saying. the only stat for offensive linemen is starts. the sacks allowed or pancakes are stupid, pointless, and hard to qualify. IE, football is a timed sport, 60 minutes, 15 minutes a quarter. if you block a guy for 3 seconds, you did a good job, if you block him for 4 seconds, great job, you block him for 5 seconds but on the 6th second your QB runs into the guys your blocking so you get a sack given up.

baseball is not timed, you get 9 innings, 3 outs per team each inning. 1 stat is a single play. you don't hit a HR and if you don't round the bases in time you are called out or something. it is extremely rhythm oriented. the exceptions would be Errors and shit
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum