Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

ESPYS

+4
MaddMatter
Pintsizedjark
EPICxPENGUIN69
HurpDurpHurray
8 posters

Go down

ESPYS Empty ESPYS

Post  HurpDurpHurray July 15th 2015, 11:48 pm

I don't think I have been this emotional about any program on TV ever. With the Lauren Hill thing, Devon Still, Caitlyn Jenner... my god I'm choked up
HurpDurpHurray
HurpDurpHurray

Street Cred : 241

Back to top Go down

ESPYS Empty Re: ESPYS

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 July 16th 2015, 3:22 am

HurpDurpHurray wrote:I don't think I have been this emotional about any program on TV ever. With the Lauren Hill thing, Devon Still, Caitlyn Jenner... my god I'm choked up

I didn't watch, the lauren hill story has been insane since the start. "oh hey, you're going to die soon" and she goes and plays college ball till the end? balls dude, big balls
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Street Cred : 195

Back to top Go down

Post  Pintsizedjark July 18th 2015, 2:49 pm

EPICxPENGUIN69 wrote:the lauren hill story has been insane since the start. "oh hey, you're going to die soon" and she goes and plays college ball till the end? balls dude, big balls

and no courage award? interesting

Pintsizedjark

Street Cred : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 July 18th 2015, 5:16 pm

Pintsizedjark wrote:
EPICxPENGUIN69 wrote:the lauren hill story has been insane since the start. "oh hey, you're going to die soon" and she goes and plays college ball till the end? balls dude, big balls

She still got an award. It's an award show. Even if a director or a movie wins like, "best lighting" they still get to put "Oscar Winning" on the packaging. It doesn't matter.
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  Pintsizedjark July 18th 2015, 5:31 pm

EPICxPENGUIN69 wrote:
Pintsizedjark wrote:

She still got an award. It's an award show. Even if a director or a movie wins like, "best lighting" they still get to put "Oscar Winning" on the packaging. It doesn't matter.

but that's like saying all the awards are equal in prestige. any director would rather win "Best Picture" instead of "Best Costume Design"

the movie that wins Best Picture can put "Best Picture" on the package whereas the movie that wins Best Costume Design is going to put "Academy Award Winning" on the film because they know the average person wouldn't give a shit about the costume design award, but would instead by intrigued by seeing that it won academy award(s)

I'm not necessarily saying that Jenner won the equivalent of best picture while Hill won the equivalent of "best costume design," but all awards are not equal...and I have trouble with the idea of giving a courage award to someone like Jenner, especially when someone like Hill was 'in contention' this time around

I'm completely with DL Hughley on this one

Pintsizedjark

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 July 18th 2015, 6:04 pm

Pintsizedjark wrote:
EPICxPENGUIN69 wrote:
Pintsizedjark wrote:

but that's like saying all the awards are equal in prestige. any director would rather win "Best Picture" instead of "Best Costume Design"

the movie that wins Best Picture can put "Best Picture" on the package whereas the movie that wins Best Costume Design is going to put "Academy Award Winning" on the film because they know the average person wouldn't give a shit about the costume design award, but would instead by intrigued by seeing that it won academy award(s)

I'm not necessarily saying that Jenner won the equivalent of best picture while Hill won the equivalent of "best costume design," but all awards are not equal...and I have trouble with the idea of giving a courage award to someone like Jenner, especially when someone like Hill was 'in contention' this time around

I'm completely with DL Hughley on this one

Everyone's definition of courage is different. All three folks got awards. The soldier who lost her arm, Hill who lost her battle with cancer, and Jenner who is transgender. If Jenner coming out and helps kids who are getting bullied because they're struggling with their identity.

DL Hughley is a staight dude. He can't comprehend what it feels like to be Jenner's shoes to spend that many years as the epitome of what a man should be only to be basically lying to yourself. To go through hormone therapy in the 80s was insane compared to today's standard. All his former wives came out and said, "yea, he said he was really a woman" so it's not like this is being made up as part of a publicity stunt.

Arthur Ashe was a closet gay and had aids. Two issues or concerns the LGBT community has. If anything, have the Arthur Ashe courage award go to Jenner is more fitting.
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  Pintsizedjark July 18th 2015, 10:17 pm

EPICxPENGUIN69 wrote:Everyone's definition of courage is different. All three folks got awards. The soldier who lost her arm, Hill who lost her battle with cancer, and Jenner who is transgender. If Jenner coming out and helps kids who are getting bullied because they're struggling with their identity.

DL Hughley is a staight dude. He can't comprehend what it feels like to be Jenner's shoes to spend that many years as the epitome of what a man should be only to be basically lying to yourself. To go through hormone therapy in the 80s was insane compared to today's standard. All his former wives came out and said, "yea, he said he was really a woman" so it's not like this is being made up as part of a publicity stunt.

Arthur Ashe was a closet gay and had aids. Two issues or concerns the LGBT community has. If anything, have the Arthur Ashe courage award go to Jenner is more fitting.

his penis and other biological designs may indicate that he was never "really a woman" ...not only that, but Jenner STILL has a dick. tell me where the courage fits in

Arthur Ashe suffered multiple illnesses and injuries while still trying to play tennis, essentially until it was impossible. He contracted HIV through a bad blood transfusion and then spent the rest of his life creating and supporting different organizations to support different causes. Being gay is irrelevant in my opinion, I still think he's a fitting namesake for the award. In the context of sports awards, who cares what concerns the "LGBT community" has? You can be courageous, athletically gifted/exceptional at contributing to sports, and NOT be gay OR you can be courageous, athletically gifted/exceptional at contributing to sports, and BE gay...but I think Jenner artificially created a 'tricky'' situation with the intent to 'persevere' all along. tell me where the courage fits in.

half-tagent -- If people like Jenner, or any gay people, want to start on the path to normality, the first step is to NOT make a big deal out of it. If it's normal, why is a deal being made out of it? Most of us have at least a friend or two that is gay, but they don't talk about it or make a scene about it when it's not relevant...similarly to how you never hear any straight people talking about being straight. I DISLIKE the people who feel they have to announce something

Pintsizedjark

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter July 19th 2015, 12:39 am

Didn't watch

Heard who won the Courage award

Got pissed

Still hate ESPN and their agenda.

Fuck off everone.

MaddMatter

Street Cred : 125

http://www.sportsworldforums.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Browns July 19th 2015, 5:53 am

Pintsizedjark wrote:
half-tagent -- If people like Jenner, or any gay people, want to start on the path to normality, the first step is to NOT make a big deal out of it. If it's normal, why is a deal being made out of it? Most of us have at least a friend or two that is gay, but they don't talk about it or make a scene about it when it's not relevant...similarly to how you never hear any straight people talking about being straight. I DISLIKE the people who feel they have to announce something

well people aren't persecuted for being straight. There aren't countries where being straight is punishable by death. The word straight doesn't have a negative connotation deeply ingrained into our language. Nobody ever tried to deny someone their rights based on being heterosexual. Nobody ever got bullied in high school for being straight. Nobody's family abandoned them because they found out their child was straight. Thats why it takes courage to embrace who you really are. Fear that maybe you won't be accepted. That the people closest to you will disappear and want nothing to do with you. Thats why coming out is a big part of being gay. It's a water shed moment for many, because it is the realization that regardless of who you are, you are accepted. To compare it to being straight is absolute nonsense.

This is the same reason why there are gay pride parades but no straight pride parades. These aren't giant gatherings of "Hey everyone look how gay we are! Fuck You!". It's about a community of people coming together to support each other when sometimes it feels like that support isn't there. You know why I don't need a straight pride parade? Because I've never considered killing myself because a kid at school beat me up for being straight. It's such a different situation and to compare the two is pretty ridiculous.

As for Caitlyn Jenner's award, was it probably a bit of a ratings grab? Probably. Did Caitlyn deserve the award? Of course, because it takes courage to embrace your true identity even though millions disagree with it and a bunch of morons are going to shit talk you on the internet because they don't think you're courageous enough. Everything in the TV industry is ratings driven. That's the whole fucking point. I see nothing wrong with ESPN doing everything they can to improve their ratings, especially when in the end, everyone got an award they deserved. This seems like such a non-issue that I can't believe I'm even discussing it.

Also, who the fuck cares about the ESPYs until God forbid Michael Sam or Caitlyn Jenner get an award. Fucking hell.
Browns
Browns

Street Cred : 41

Back to top Go down

Post  BaltRavensFan20 July 19th 2015, 8:22 am

I won't go into detail, but I don't agree with Jenner getting the courage award, to me that isn't courage. There are tons of other people I feel have done something more courageous. I didn't hear many people bashing him/her or anything, I didn't see the media criticizing her (unless you watch maybe fox), it seemed like the media embraced it more than anything.
BaltRavensFan20
BaltRavensFan20

Street Cred : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 July 19th 2015, 11:53 am

Browns wrote:
Pintsizedjark wrote:

well people aren't persecuted for being straight. There aren't countries where being straight is punishable by death. The word straight doesn't have a negative connotation deeply ingrained into our language. Nobody ever tried to deny someone their rights based on being heterosexual. Nobody ever got bullied in high school for being straight. Nobody's family abandoned them because they found out their child was straight. Thats why it takes courage to embrace who you really are. Fear that maybe you won't be accepted. That the people closest to you will disappear and want nothing to do with you. Thats why coming out is a big part of being gay. It's a water shed moment for many, because it is the realization that regardless of who you are, you are accepted. To compare it to being straight is absolute nonsense.

This is the same reason why there are gay pride parades but no straight pride parades. These aren't giant gatherings of "Hey everyone look how gay we are! Fuck You!". It's about a community of people coming together to support each other when sometimes it feels like that support isn't there. You know why I don't need a straight pride parade? Because I've never considered killing myself because a kid at school beat me up for being straight. It's such a different situation and to compare the two is pretty ridiculous.

As for Caitlyn Jenner's award, was it probably a bit of a ratings grab? Probably. Did Caitlyn deserve the award? Of course, because it takes courage to embrace your true identity even though millions disagree with it and a bunch of morons are going to shit talk you on the internet because they don't think you're courageous enough. Everything in the TV industry is ratings driven. That's the whole fucking point. I see nothing wrong with ESPN doing everything they can to improve their ratings, especially when in the end, everyone got an award they deserved. This seems like such a non-issue that I can't believe I'm even discussing it.

Also, who the fuck cares about the ESPYs until God forbid Michael Sam or Caitlyn Jenner get an award. Fucking hell.

right on browns
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  Pintsizedjark July 19th 2015, 1:58 pm

Browns wrote:
Pintsizedjark wrote:

in terms of countries where you're killed or whatever for being gay, then yeah, I agree.

but in the USA, where it's not a crime, people are bullied for EVERYTHING. "look at that nerd over there playing on his DS" ..."haha wow look at that faggot reading all day" ....I once saw a kid getting bullied for not having enough leg hair, and my high school was pretty tame otherwise. Is anyone making a huge deal for these kids? no. nobody gives a fuck about those kids getting bullied and killing themselves. ...People have the fear of not being accepted for MANY OTHER reasons every single day, nobody talks about them or is concerned for their supposed fear of acceptance or rejection.

In some cases, I'd agree that's not it might not be fair to compare straight vs gay..but it's only like that because society/media created tension that doesn't have to be there. However, like I said, most of us have those one or two gay friends that everyone knows is gay, but they don't make a big deal out of anything. ALL of my friends feel the same way. People can be gay and cool, or be gay and annoying as hell, JUST like they can be straight and cool or straight and annoying.

yeah there are some people out there that JUST don't like gay people. BUT, that doesn't even come close to representing the majority. I, along with most people I know, don't give a FUCK if someone is gay or not, just don't make a big deal out of anything...THAT'S the annoying part.

And yeah it was probably a ratings grab and PR move, so it shouldn't actually matter. but once again, I find it hard to see that Jenner is embracing his/her identity when the penis is still on the body

to be fair to me, I've followed the ESPYs since like 2011, so I suppose I'm a little more invested than most. and lets be clear, most people aren't upset that the person receiving the award the past two years has been gay/transgender.....they're upset because they don't think being those two particular things is courageous

btw, this is all friendly haha, i'm just debating...don't wanna come off angrily or anything

Pintsizedjark

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 July 19th 2015, 2:00 pm

Pintsizedjark wrote:
Browns wrote:
Pintsizedjark wrote:

in terms of countries where you're killed or whatever for being gay, then yeah, I agree.

but in the USA, where it's not a crime, people are bullied for EVERYTHING. "look at that nerd over there playing on his DS" ..."haha wow look at that faggot reading all day" ....I once saw a kid getting bullied for not having enough leg hair, and my high school was pretty tame otherwise. Is anyone making a huge deal for these kids? no. nobody gives a fuck about those kids getting bullied and killing themselves. ...People have the fear of not being accepted for MANY OTHER reasons every single day, nobody talks about them or is concerned for their supposed fear of acceptance or rejection.

In some cases, I'd agree that's not it might not be fair to compare straight vs gay..but it's only like that because society/media created tension that doesn't have to be there. However, like I said, most of us have those one or two gay friends that everyone knows is gay, but they don't make a big deal out of anything. ALL of my friends feel the same way. People can be gay and cool, or be gay and annoying as hell, JUST like they can be straight and cool or straight and annoying.

yeah there are some people out there that JUST don't like gay people. BUT, that doesn't even come close to representing the majority. I, along with most people I know, don't give a FUCK if someone is gay or not, just don't make a big deal out of anything...THAT'S the annoying part.

And yeah it was probably a ratings grab and PR move, so it shouldn't actually matter. but once again, I find it hard to see that Jenner is embracing his/her identity when the penis is still on the body

to be fair to me, I've followed the ESPYs since like 2011, so I suppose I'm a little more invested than most. and lets be clear, most people aren't upset that the person receiving the award the past two years has been gay/transgender.....they're upset because they don't think being those two particular things is courageous

btw, this is all friendly haha, i'm just debating...don't wanna come off angrily or anything

I assumed you were loading your AR-15 and searching for our addresses while you typed that
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  Pintsizedjark July 19th 2015, 2:02 pm

haha it's just a lot of times people interpret debating as fighting or some shit. I think it might actually be impossible to debate and NOT come off as an opposition haha

Pintsizedjark

Back to top Go down

Post  Willbacker July 19th 2015, 3:18 pm

Caitlyn Jenner should travel around and spread his/her word to the good folks in the small towns of Appalchia or up in the lumber camps in Maine or even to a steelworkers meeting in a blue collar area and not in front of a supporting Hollywood audience and then he/she should get the courage award.That takes balls which I hear Jenner still has. Im not in favor of being gay(altho I did vote for gay marriage cuz why not) but changing your appearence is strictly a choice and not wise or courageous. Flamboyance at its finest. Look at me. Look at what I did. Its all about mmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Btw I'm not angry Laughing , Just perturbed.
Willbacker
Willbacker

Street Cred : 30

Back to top Go down

Post  S July 20th 2015, 10:41 pm

This thread looks like too much reading. So. Are yall mad about this or not? Simple yes or no. Doing a study
S
S

Street Cred : 81

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum