Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

Top 10 Defensive Backs

+2
Pintsizedjark
JermikesHere
6 posters

Go down

Top 10 Defensive Backs Empty Top 10 Defensive Backs

Post  JermikesHere June 7th 2011, 12:55 am

List made on NFL Network by Ronde Barber and Darren Sharper:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-countdowns/09000d5d820338ff/Top-10-Defensive-Backs

10. Aqib Talib
9. Devin McCourty
8. Adrian Wilson
7. Nick Collins
6. Champ Bailey
5. Charles Woodson
4. Nnamdi Asomugha
3. Ed Reed
2. Troy Polamalu
1. Darrelle Revis
JermikesHere
JermikesHere

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Top 10 Defensive Backs Empty Re: Top 10 Defensive Backs

Post  Pintsizedjark June 7th 2011, 7:09 am

you may be innocently making these posts but in my opinion it seems like you're just finding reasons to say Revis is the best defensive back.

Pintsizedjark

Street Cred : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  JermikesHere June 7th 2011, 11:26 am

Pintsizedjark wrote:you may be innocently making these posts but in my opinion it seems like you're just finding reasons to say Revis is the best defensive back.

Everybody knows Revis is the best defensive back, I don't need to look for things to post that say it. I find it a little ridiculous McCourty is on there though.
JermikesHere
JermikesHere

Back to top Go down

Post  at23steelers June 7th 2011, 11:29 am

JermikesHere wrote:
Pintsizedjark wrote:you may be innocently making these posts but in my opinion it seems like you're just finding reasons to say Revis is the best defensive back.

Everybody knows Revis is the best defensive back, I don't need to look for things to post that say it. I find it a little ridiculous McCourty is on there though.

I was most surprised by Talib being on there. Flowers is better than both of them.
at23steelers
at23steelers

Street Cred : -17

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant June 7th 2011, 12:19 pm

McCourty is a rookie isn't he? Which would make the list "current" as in based off the 2010 season.

Except it isn't cos Wilson is in the list and he had a shitty season. Rhodes was much better last season.
Mutant
Mutant

Street Cred : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  at23steelers June 7th 2011, 12:40 pm

Mutant wrote:McCourty is a rookie isn't he? Which would make the list "current" as in based off the 2010 season.

Except it isn't cos Wilson is in the list and he had a shitty season. Rhodes was much better last season.

Even in run support, or is this strictly coverage skills? Isn't there a chart listing most missed tackles by secondary players? Anyways, here is another interesting list:

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/20/cornerbacks-cover-snaps-count/

Last edited by at23steelers on June 7th 2011, 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
at23steelers
at23steelers

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant June 7th 2011, 12:43 pm

at23steelers wrote:
Mutant wrote:McCourty is a rookie isn't he? Which would make the list "current" as in based off the 2010 season.

Even in run support, or is this strictly coverage skills?

Overall.

He even said himself that he didn't have a great 2010 season.
Mutant
Mutant

Back to top Go down

Post  at23steelers June 7th 2011, 12:46 pm

Mutant wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Overall.

But that doesn't mean he was worse than Kerry Rhodes in run support. Wink Rhodes will always be better in coverage than Wilson, but I have a hard time believing he was better than Wilson in run support. IMO, Wilson is a top 3 safety against the run.
at23steelers
at23steelers

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU11 June 7th 2011, 12:47 pm

at23steelers wrote:

Even in run support, or is this strictly coverage skills? Isn't there a chart listing most missed tackles by secondary players? Anyways, here is another interesting list:

probaly both cause no way reed is number 3 when it comes to coverage.
TRU11
TRU11

Street Cred : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  at23steelers June 7th 2011, 12:53 pm

TRU11 wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Who said Reed was #3 in coverage?? He's definitely top 2, if not THE best in coverage.
at23steelers
at23steelers

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU11 June 7th 2011, 12:59 pm

at23steelers wrote:
TRU11 wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Who said Reed was #3 in coverage?? He's definitely top 2, if not THE best in coverage.

he is 3 on the list lolz.

thats why i think its not about coverage only.
probaly the only reason he aint number 1.
TRU11
TRU11

Street Cred : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant June 7th 2011, 12:59 pm

at23steelers wrote:
Mutant wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Overall.

But that doesn't mean he was worse than Kerry Rhodes in run support. Wink Rhodes will always be better in coverage than Wilson, but I have a hard time believing he was better than Wilson in run support. IMO, Wilson is a top 3 safety against the run.

You're confusing me.

I'm not saying A-Dub is rubbish. Just that his 2010 season was pretty poor by his standards. I wasn't comparing them based on their specific abilities (coverage, run support, hitting power, one handed INT's, etc), just how they preformed in the season overall.

He even said he didn't deserve to go to the Pro Bowl and that Rhodes should have gone.
Mutant
Mutant

Back to top Go down

Post  at23steelers June 7th 2011, 1:01 pm

Mutant wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
Mutant wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Overall.

You're confusing me.

I'm not saying A-Dub is rubbish. Just that his 2010 season was pretty poor by his standards. I wasn't comparing them based on their specific abilities (coverage, run support, hitting power, one handed INT's, etc), just how they preformed in the season overall.

He even said he didn't deserve to go to the Pro Bowl and that Rhodes should have gone.

You said Rhodes was much better than Wilson last season, and I was wondering if you meant overall or just in coverage? That is all! Wink
at23steelers
at23steelers

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant June 7th 2011, 1:08 pm

at23steelers wrote:
Mutant wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
Mutant wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Overall.

You're confusing me.

You said Rhodes was much better than Wilson last season, and I was wondering if you meant overall or just in coverage? That is all! Wink

Oh gotcha!

*imput thumbs up smiliy*

The only reason I mentioned that was because McCourty was in the list too so I'm not sure if it's a list of Best DBs Currently playing or Best DBs based off the 2010 season.

McCourty has only played 1 season whilst Wilson didn't have a great 2010 season.

Bit of a confusing list.
Mutant
Mutant

Back to top Go down

Post  JermikesHere June 7th 2011, 1:09 pm

I am not a big Cardinals expert or anything, but I do know Wilson struggled this year in coverage for sure, and I saw quotes by him admitting such. I also know Kerry Rhodes made a ton of big plays for the Cards this year. I would venture to say he had a better year than Wilson.

However, I watched Kerry Rhodes for years.. the guy is good. He is athletic as hell, can play the "center field" role and help on anything down the field as well as any safety in the league short of Ed Reed. But he has no balls.. he can't, or actually i should say he WON'T tackle anybody and won't lay big hits on anybody. He's also a huge diva and has an eye on a Hollywood career after football, which is why Rex got rid of him. He didn't feel like Kerry was committed like he should be, plus he thought he was too good to take criticism from coaches. Rex also got frustrated with his lack of hitting ability which is why he was benched for a few games for Eric Smith in 09.

Now about the list.. I happen to think Talib is really good. But I think McCourty is wildly overrated. Is he a very good looking young player who had a good rookie year? Yes. He made a ton of big plays.. but he's also not a lockdown corner yet by any means. Asante Samuel should have absolutely been on there ahead of him.
JermikesHere
JermikesHere

Back to top Go down

Post  at23steelers June 7th 2011, 2:14 pm

JermikesHere wrote:I am not a big Cardinals expert or anything, but I do know Wilson struggled this year in coverage for sure, and I saw quotes by him admitting such. I also know Kerry Rhodes made a ton of big plays for the Cards this year. I would venture to say he had a better year than Wilson.

However, I watched Kerry Rhodes for years.. the guy is good. He is athletic as hell, can play the "center field" role and help on anything down the field as well as any safety in the league short of Ed Reed. But he has no balls.. he can't, or actually i should say he WON'T tackle anybody and won't lay big hits on anybody. He's also a huge diva and has an eye on a Hollywood career after football, which is why Rex got rid of him. He didn't feel like Kerry was committed like he should be, plus he thought he was too good to take criticism from coaches. Rex also got frustrated with his lack of hitting ability which is why he was benched for a few games for Eric Smith in 09.

Now about the list.. I happen to think Talib is really good. But I think McCourty is wildly overrated. Is he a very good looking young player who had a good rookie year? Yes. He made a ton of big plays.. but he's also not a lockdown corner yet by any means. Asante Samuel should have absolutely been on there ahead of him.

Good point!! Jermike if you had to pick a safety, would you pick Rhodes or Wilson? I guess you admitted Wilson is way better in run support, so I guess it just depends if you value a pass defender or great tackler. I can't believe I forgot about Samuel. He should definitely be above Talib and McCourty!! What is your opinion on Flowers compared to Talib and McCourty?
at23steelers
at23steelers

Back to top Go down

Post  JermikesHere June 7th 2011, 4:48 pm

at23steelers wrote:
JermikesHere wrote:I am not a big Cardinals expert or anything, but I do know Wilson struggled this year in coverage for sure, and I saw quotes by him admitting such. I also know Kerry Rhodes made a ton of big plays for the Cards this year. I would venture to say he had a better year than Wilson.

Good point!! Jermike if you had to pick a safety, would you pick Rhodes or Wilson? I guess you admitted Wilson is way better in run support, so I guess it just depends if you value a pass defender or great tackler. I can't believe I forgot about Samuel. He should definitely be above Talib and McCourty!! What is your opinion on Flowers compared to Talib and McCourty?

Well I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on Flowers or anything, but I think he is good.. I think McCourty has better ball skills, but Flowers is better in coverage. Flowers the first half of the season was playing incredibly well but I know he tailed off in the 2nd half, particularly in that Raiders game when Jacoby Ford was murdering him.

As to McCourty, he had a lot of picks last year.. but his season was very overrated and here's why: When you are killing teams week in and week out, the other team is gonna have to take chances and pass down field more while you are able to lay back and take shots at the ball. That's what he had pretty much all season when the pats were romping teams. I'm not saying he isn't good.. just that naming him as a top 5 or 6 corner in the NFL at this point in his career is silly.

And about the safeties, I have always liked Adrian Wilson.. but I guess it comes down to which kind of safety you need.. a guy who can come up and be like a linebacker and hold his own covering tight ends, or the guy with excellent range to help the back of your defense but couldn't tackle your grandma (Rhodes).
JermikesHere
JermikesHere

Back to top Go down

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ June 10th 2011, 2:49 am

JermikesHere wrote:List made on NFL Network by Ronde Barber and Darren Sharper:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-countdowns/09000d5d820338ff/Top-10-Defensive-Backs

10. Aqib Talib
9. Devin McCourty
8. Adrian Wilson
7. Nick Collins
6. Champ Bailey
5. Charles Woodson
4. Nnamdi Asomugha
3. Ed Reed
2. Troy Polamalu
1. Darrelle Revis

good looking List except i would replace Mcourty with Asante Samuel and Wilson with Brent Grimes
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Street Cred : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum