Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

Boxing experience

+3
AliForeman74
CaptRCG2
ccdog23
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Boxing experience Empty Boxing experience

Post  ccdog23 April 13th 2011, 7:50 pm

How many of y'all have boxing experience?I know me and Ali do.It's really fun and good for you,you should give it a try if you haven't yet.

Last edited by ccdog23 on January 30th 2012, 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
ccdog23
ccdog23

Street Cred : 113

Back to top Go down

Boxing experience Empty Re: Boxing experience

Post  CaptRCG2 April 13th 2011, 8:14 pm

I don't have ant in-ring experience because getting hit in the face hurts. However, boxing is great exercise and an awesome science of movement. When I was growing up, I got to watch the greats like Leonard vs Duran, Leonard vs Hagler, Hagler vs Hearns, All of Tyson's career, etc. Watching boxing was usually a big event and very entertaining.
CaptRCG2
CaptRCG2

Street Cred : 86

Back to top Go down

Post  ccdog23 April 13th 2011, 8:41 pm

CaptRCG2 wrote:I don't have ant in-ring experience because getting hit in the face hurts. However, boxing is great exercise and an awesome science of movement. When I was growing up, I got to watch the greats like Leonard vs Duran, Leonard vs Hagler, Hagler vs Hearns, All of Tyson's career, etc. Watching boxing was usually a big event and very entertaining.
Yup,kinda sad how the sports popularity has dropped.
ccdog23
ccdog23

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptRCG2 April 13th 2011, 8:46 pm

ccdog wrote:
CaptRCG2 wrote:I don't have ant in-ring experience because getting hit in the face hurts. However, boxing is great exercise and an awesome science of movement. When I was growing up, I got to watch the greats like Leonard vs Duran, Leonard vs Hagler, Hagler vs Hearns, All of Tyson's career, etc. Watching boxing was usually a big event and very entertaining.

Unlike today's MMA and Ultimate Fighting (which I have nothing against), there was always something very cool about boxing that I can't quite put a finger on. Maybe it's because I grew up in the Rocky era (1,2,3 and even 4 to an extent), but boxing was always fascinating to me.
CaptRCG2
CaptRCG2

Street Cred : 86

Back to top Go down

Post  ccdog23 April 13th 2011, 8:52 pm

CaptRCG2 wrote:
ccdog wrote:

Unlike today's MMA and Ultimate Fighting (which I have nothing against), there was always something very cool about boxing that I can't quite put a finger on. Maybe it's because I grew up in the Rocky era (1,2,3 and even 4 to an extent), but boxing was always fascinating to me.
Same to me,there's just something about it.I believe I'm a lot younger than you,so it may not have anything to do with when you were born and raised.My Dad has always been a huge Boxing fan and I grew up watching the fights with him,Gatti and Ward and all those guys.We've never had a lot in common,but we always enjoyed watching the fights.

Last edited by ccdog on April 13th 2011, 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
ccdog23
ccdog23

Back to top Go down

Post  AliForeman74 April 13th 2011, 9:04 pm

I'm from Lowell, Mass., the Home of Micky Ward and Dick Ecklund. I didn't actually get into boxing until 2007, when I bought Fight Night 3 for the 360, I was very fun just spamming Shocked punches lol, but then two years later I finally got the urged to join the local gym, Ramalho's gym.
AliForeman74
AliForeman74

Street Cred : 13

Back to top Go down

Post  KWicK78 April 13th 2011, 9:07 pm

Couple weeks of Muay Thai. Fun shit.
KWicK78
KWicK78

Street Cred : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 April 13th 2011, 9:59 pm

I have a karate background but I have been watching friday night fights for a few years now. I like boxing more than MMA because MMA is a tad hard to watch. like boxing is like baseball and MMA is basketball. one you relax you enjoy the whole match while MMA is you watch for the last bits of the match for the knockout
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Street Cred : 195

Back to top Go down

Post  ccdog23 April 13th 2011, 10:05 pm

EpicxPlatypus69 wrote:I have a karate background but I have been watching friday night fights for a few years now. I like boxing more than MMA because MMA is a tad hard to watch. like boxing is like baseball and MMA is basketball. one you relax you enjoy the whole match while MMA is you watch for the last bits of the match for the knockout
I can see what you're saying lol,but they both can be slow at times which basketball isn't ever really.
ccdog23
ccdog23

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 April 13th 2011, 10:09 pm

ccdog wrote:
EpicxPlatypus69 wrote:I have a karate background but I have been watching friday night fights for a few years now. I like boxing more than MMA because MMA is a tad hard to watch. like boxing is like baseball and MMA is basketball. one you relax you enjoy the whole match while MMA is you watch for the last bits of the match for the knockout
I can see what you're saying lol,but they both can be slow at times which basketball isn't ever really.

like a kick to the head off the side of the cage is like a dunk which makes sportscenter.

you dont see the 76 jabs make sportscenter the way every hit in a baseball game doesnt, only the important ones
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  ccdog23 April 13th 2011, 10:12 pm

EpicxPlatypus69 wrote:
ccdog wrote:

like a kick to the head off the side of the cage is like a dunk which makes sportscenter.

you dont see the 76 jabs make sportscenter the way every hit in a baseball game doesnt, only the important ones
I know what you mean.MMA is more of an "ooo-awww" sport than boxing.
ccdog23
ccdog23

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 April 13th 2011, 10:22 pm

ccdog wrote:
EpicxPlatypus69 wrote:
ccdog wrote:

I know what you mean.MMA is more of an "ooo-awww" sport than boxing.

yea, but karate is fun to do but i hate watching it. boxing i didnt have a whole lot of fun doing but i enjoy watching on friday nights after practice with a beer in my hand
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  66-Pittsburgh-43 April 15th 2011, 11:44 am

It was never anything serious for me, but my father always had a punching bag and a speed bag in the basement. One of my uncle's boxed back in the day and he would give me tips and what not.

But, I never planned on making a living by getting my brain knocked around in my skull. I picked it up and was taught for self-defense purposes.

66-Pittsburgh-43

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  EPICxPENGUIN69 April 15th 2011, 8:37 pm

66-Pittsburgh-43 wrote:It was never anything serious for me, but my father always had a punching bag and a speed bag in the basement. One of my uncle's boxed back in the day and he would give me tips and what not.

But, I never planned on making a living by getting my brain knocked around in my skull. I picked it up and was taught for self-defense purposes.

just be careful with that self defense stuff. cops find out you have a boxing history or have trained a while you will get tagged with assault with a deadly weapon
EPICxPENGUIN69
EPICxPENGUIN69

Back to top Go down

Post  66-Pittsburgh-43 April 16th 2011, 7:59 am

EpicxPlatypus69 wrote:
66-Pittsburgh-43 wrote:It was never anything serious for me, but my father always had a punching bag and a speed bag in the basement. One of my uncle's boxed back in the day and he would give me tips and what not.

just be careful with that self defense stuff. cops find out you have a boxing history or have trained a while you will get tagged with assault with a deadly weapon

It doesn't make sense, does it? You try to defend yourself and you end up being the bad guy.

I figure in today's sick and crazy world, I would rather be charged with assault with a deadly weapon while defending myself than deal with the alternatives. A perfect example is that poor father of two who was almost beaten to death at a Dodgers game by a bunch of cowardly thug punks.

You know what I mean?

66-Pittsburgh-43

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Nef77 April 16th 2011, 8:34 am

ccdog wrote:How many of y'all have boxing experience?I know me and Ali do.It's really fun and good for you,you should give it a try if you haven't yet.

I boxed 10 years ago when gas was still cheap enough to go to practice 3 times a week. I have a couple amateur bouts under my belt. I wasn't anything special. It was the biggest learning experience of my life though. That sport gave me soooo much self confidence as a 17 year old boy. Good times
Nef77
Nef77

Street Cred : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  AliForeman74 April 16th 2011, 12:12 pm

Nef77 wrote:
ccdog wrote:How many of y'all have boxing experience?I know me and Ali do.It's really fun and good for you,you should give it a try if you haven't yet.

I boxed 10 years ago when gas was still cheap enough to go to practice 3 times a week. I have a couple amateur bouts under my belt. I wasn't anything special. It was the biggest learning experience of my life though. That sport gave me soooo much self confidence as a 17 year old boy. Good times

Did you turn pro, or think about turning pro?
AliForeman74
AliForeman74

Back to top Go down

Post  Nef77 April 17th 2011, 8:12 am

AliForeman74 wrote:
Did you turn pro, or think about turning pro?

No, the friend that used to take us to the gym moved to the mainland and that was that. We did some individual stuff but just fizzled out to our next step in life. I miss being in that kind of shape though. No better motivation to train harder than the fear of getting your ass whooped.
Nef77
Nef77

Street Cred : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  AliForeman74 April 17th 2011, 8:27 am

yea, that's true, I train hard on most days (but sometimes I'm prone to being sick so I miss out..sometimes) cuz my 1st Sparring sessions...in a year, didn't go so well Neutral
AliForeman74
AliForeman74

Back to top Go down

Post  ccdog23 July 24th 2011, 12:27 am

You still been training ali?
ccdog23
ccdog23

Back to top Go down

Post  AliForeman74 July 27th 2011, 10:36 pm

ccdog wrote:You still been training ali?

not right now, I'm in New York then by Monday, I'll be in Canada for a few weeks, Niagara falls here I come! Cool
AliForeman74
AliForeman74

Back to top Go down

Post  ccdog23 July 27th 2011, 10:50 pm

AliForeman74 wrote:
ccdog wrote:You still been training ali?

not right now, I'm in New York then by Monday, I'll be in Canada for a few weeks, Niagara falls here I come! Cool
Oh yeah I had been taking a break too but I'm back in again.I'm about to start sparring and hopefully start amateur fights after football season ends and I have more time.
ccdog23
ccdog23

Back to top Go down

Post  AliForeman74 July 27th 2011, 11:38 pm

What weight class would you be fighting in?
I'm 5'9", and I'm 160, so I'm a middleweight
AliForeman74
AliForeman74

Back to top Go down

Post  ccdog23 July 28th 2011, 12:19 am

AliForeman74 wrote:What weight class would you be fighting in?
Well if I can bulk up during football I'll be a heavyweight,right now I'm only 5'10 185 so I will need to gain about 20 pounds but my style is heavily influenced by Tyson.I'm an in fighter who gets all my power from the trunk,my biggest problem is though like Tyson sometimes I swing and put so much in it I lose balance so I gotta work on that.
ccdog23
ccdog23

Back to top Go down

Post  AliForeman74 July 28th 2011, 8:44 am

[quote="ccdog"]
AliForeman74 wrote:What weight class would you be fighting in?
Well if I can bulk up during football I'll be a heavyweight,right now I'm only 5'10 185 so I will need to gain about 20 pounds but my style is heavily influenced by Tyson.I'm an in fighter who gets all my power from the trunk,my biggest problem is though like Tyson sometimes I swing and put so much in it I lose balance so I gotta work on that.[/quote
you sound a bit like Marciano, who was the same height as you, and weight the same, and I remember reading this somewhere that when he began training, he had a lot of power, and sometimes he lost control when he threw punches
AliForeman74
AliForeman74

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum