Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

Great Rivalries

3 posters

Go down

Great Rivalries Empty Great Rivalries

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ September 6th 2011, 1:18 pm

Im sure this has been posted before but what do you think really constitutes a "Great" rivalry? IMO i think there has to be some balance between the 2 teams...take for instance Wins, i wouldnt consider something a Great Rivalry if 1 team has overpowered another team every season ( Steelers owning the Ravens 22-12 in overall meetings) or the Colts having a 16-2 record against the Texans because the losing team has not beaten the winning team enough thruout the course of thier All-Time series meetings...I think something like Chicago leading the Packers 92-84-6 in all thier meetings ever is a very good Rivalry...but in ALL of the NFL there isnt a closer, more hated Rivalry than the Jets vs the Patriots, year after year no matter how bad or how good one of these teams is, the other team always finds a way to beat them consistently as evidenced by the 52-51-1 series lead currently held by the Jets...as you can see, my All Time Best Rivalry in the NFL is the Jets vs Pats....post yours
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Street Cred : 95

Back to top Go down

Great Rivalries Empty Re: Great Rivalries

Post  Mutant September 6th 2011, 1:46 pm

A great rivalry has history.
A great rivalry has memorable moments
A great rivalry has great players who are the best in their positions
A great rivalry has a big build up in the media with everyone talking about it
A great rivalry does not contain two shit teams or two teams who haven't been relevant for years (Niners vs Cowboys for example, once upon a time that was a great rivalry, maybe it will be again).
Also, a bit of hatred for the other team doesn't go amiss either.

Rivalry's don't have to contain teams in the same division. Magic's Lakers vs. Bird's Celtics is a good example of this. Patriots and Colts are another just for the Brady vs. Manning battle.

Mutant
Mutant

Street Cred : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ September 6th 2011, 2:44 pm

Mutant wrote:A great rivalry has history.
A great rivalry does not contain two shit teams or two teams who haven't been relevant for years (Niners vs Cowboys for example, once upon a time that was a great rivalry, maybe it will be again).

Rivalry's don't have to contain teams in the same division. Magic's Lakers vs. Bird's Celtics is a good example of this. Patriots and Colts are another just for the Brady vs. Manning battle.

Colts-Pats is really not a rivalry, its a good game as of lately but the Pats dominate this All Time 45-29
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Street Cred : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant September 6th 2011, 3:03 pm

MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:
Mutant wrote:A great rivalry has history.

Colts-Pats is really not a rivalry, its a good game as of lately but the Pats dominate this All Time 45-29

Manning vs Brady makes it a rivalry I think. Two of the best QBs in the league battling it out over the other for domination. It has memorable moments too, like when Bellichick went for it on 4th-and-2 on his own 30 with like 2 mins to go and the Pats were leading...and failed to convert it so that Manning drove down and scored and won the game for the Colts.

Sure, it won't always be a rivalry. Once both QBs retire and the Colts start going 4-12 again (as I'm positive will happen when Manning retires) then it won't be. Just like the great Niner-Cowboy rivalry from the late 80s and early 90s isn't a rivalry any more because the teams aren't great now.

Mutant
Mutant

Street Cred : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter September 6th 2011, 5:02 pm

A rivalry begins when something happens that fucks over one team.

Lions vs Bears could be a rivalry due to the "Process"

But Detroit-Chicago has always had a rivalry. I believe they are the only two cities that are in the same division in every major sport.

Wings-Blackhawks
Lions-Bears
Tigers-White Sox
Pistons- Bulls

But whenever I think of rivalries I always think Detroit-Colorado.

MaddMatter

Street Cred : 125

http://www.sportsworldforums.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down