Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

Lions Season Preview

4 posters

Go down

Lions Season Preview Empty Lions Season Preview

Post  MaddMatter July 22nd 2012, 11:38 pm

Alright, Kwick did his for the 49er's so I'll do one for the Lions.

Recap: Last year the Lions came out on fire and eventually got their first winning season in 10 years as well as their first playoff appearance in a decade. Matthew Stafford proved to be on of the elite QB's in the league when he is healthy. The team had some on field issues with penalties as well as the defense falling apart after Thanksgiving. But the team took steps in the right direction and got some valuable playoff experience.

This off-season has had it's share of Ups and Downs for the Lions. But no one remembers the good things that happened to the Lions this off-season. They just remember the arrests....after arrests.....after arrests.

Three players have had a tough time staying out of trouble this off-season for the Lions.
DT Nick Fairley, RB Mikel Leshoure and CB Aaron Berry have each been arrested twice.

I'm not to worried about Nick or Mikel with these off the field incidents just yet. I think it was Dave Birkett of the Detroit Freepress that went back to Fairleys hometown to talk to his parents, high school coaches and neighbors. After reading that article, I'm pretty positive that Nick has just made a couple of bad choices, but is generally a good guy. Mikel, I'm not worried about because his incidents revolve around weed, not as bad as drinking and driving or pulling a gun on someone. Aaron Berry is the one that should be cut for his dumbass actions.

The good things the Lions did in the off-season was signing Megatron to a massive extension and keeping, I think, the best non QB, player in the NFL on the team. They also signed Stephen Tulloch to a 5 year deal, for a fairly decent price. They also got head coach Jim Schwartz's contract extended so he is not coaching on a one year deal.

The Lions should have one of the leagues best passing attacks in the league again this year. Matthew Stafford has TONS of targets to throw to and an improved running game should help out as well. Megatron, Burleson, Young, Pettigrew, Scheffler, Best and Broyles are all good targets to have. Broyles and Young will be key to the team this year. Young should be the starter opposite of Megatron and have Burleson in the slot. Broyles will help out tremendously when he is able to play. He will be key in the slot to pick up 3rd downs, think of him as a Wes Welker type of player.

The Running Game should be improved, just because they have healthy bodies. Jahvid Best is a really good playmaker (notice I didn't say RB) He can break long runs and he is a great threat out of the backfield. Mikel Leshoure is looking for his first NFL carry, but everything I have heard about him is that he is going to be a monster. Kevin Smith looks like he'll have the 3rd RB role filled in case of more injuries.

The Defense may not look like it has improved, but I think it has improved a slight bit, if nothing else, I think the defense is the same as last year (During the first 10 games). Louis Delmas is the key. When he went down. The defense started to turn south, quick. The Lions had one of the better defenses in the league going into Thanksgiving, when Delmas got hurt. So having Delmas back at 100% is huge, he is the leader and is a pretty good safety. Eric Wright left for Tampa to get a ton of money that he doesn't deserve. So I will be alright if we have to replace him with Jacob Lacey or even Rookie Bill Bentley. The LB core stays the same, the only key loss is backup Bobby Carpenter. The defensive line should be as strong as ever with Fairley healthy and players like Lawrence Jackson and Willie Young getting more reps in training camp with Avril holding out.

The division will be tough. You know the Packers are going to be competing for the NFC North. The Bears, even though everyone says they have improved and are ahead of the Lions, I think can go either way, they can either be really good or really disappointing.

The schedule is tough. If only for the fact that the Lions always play back-to-back road games.

Vs St. Louis
@ San Francisco (Sunday Night)
@ Tennessee
Vs Minnesota
Bye
@ Philly
@ Chicago (MNF)
Vs Seattle
@ Jacksonville
@ Minnesota
Vs Green Bay
Vs Houston (Thanksgiving)
Vs Indy
@ Green Bay (Sunday Night)
@ Arizona
Vs Atlanta (Saturday Night "MNF")
Vs Chicago

The schedule has some very difficult spots. 11-15 is what I call the Gauntlet, facing GB 2x, Houston and going across country for Arizona.

With all that said. I think the Lions will finish with 10 or 11 wins and have an opportunity to claim the NFC North Division.

MaddMatter

Street Cred : 125

http://www.sportsworldforums.com

Back to top Go down

Lions Season Preview Empty Re: Lions Season Preview

Post  KWicK78 July 23rd 2012, 12:06 am

If you guys could be 4-1 or 5-0 headed into that Monday Night at Chicago, you could make a real run at the division. Padding early will help with that Gauntlet.

I always hate tough stretches at the end of seasons because players are more likely to be fatigued or injured
KWicK78
KWicK78

Street Cred : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter July 23rd 2012, 12:08 am

KWicK78 wrote:If you guys could be 4-1 or 5-0 headed into that Monday Night at Chicago, you could make a real run at the division. Padding early will help with that Gauntlet.

I always hate tough stretches at the end of seasons because players are more likely to be fatigued or injured

That gauntlet is nuts lol. Although it helps we get a mini bye week due to Thanksgiving. The thing that I'm happy about is 5 of our last 7 games are at home. Which is good at the end of the season.

MaddMatter

Back to top Go down

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ July 23rd 2012, 12:10 am

looking at the Lions schedule i can see an honest 8-8 finish this season, if they happen to split with the Bears and Packers i see 10-6 and if they pull out all the stops and get to alex Smiths head, they 11 - 5
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Street Cred : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  Pintsizedjark July 23rd 2012, 1:00 pm

Vs St. Louis - W
@ San Francisco - W
@ Tennessee - W
Vs Minnesota - W
Bye
@ Philly - L
@ Chicago - W
Vs Seattle - W
@ Jacksonville - W
@ Minnesota - L
Vs Green Bay - L
Vs Houston - W
Vs Indy - W
@ Green Bay - L
@ Arizona - L
Vs Atlanta - W
Vs Chicago - W

Pintsizedjark

Street Cred : 51

Back to top Go down

Post  KWicK78 July 23rd 2012, 8:50 pm

Pintsizedjark wrote:Vs St. Louis - W
@ San Francisco - W
@ Tennessee - W
Vs Minnesota - W
Bye
@ Philly - L
@ Chicago - W
Vs Seattle - W
@ Jacksonville - W
@ Minnesota - L
Vs Green Bay - L
Vs Houston - W
Vs Indy - W
@ Green Bay - L
@ Arizona - L
Vs Atlanta - W
Vs Chicago - W

Beat SF, Houston, Atlanta, Chicago 2x, but lose to Philly and Arizona?

scratch
KWicK78
KWicK78

Back to top Go down

Post  Pintsizedjark July 23rd 2012, 8:58 pm

KWicK78 wrote:
@ San Francisco - W
@ Tennessee - W
Vs Minnesota - W
Bye
@ Philly - L
@ Chicago - W
Vs Seattle - W
@ Jacksonville - W
@ Minnesota - L
Vs Green Bay - L
Vs Houston - W
Vs Indy - W
@ Green Bay - L
@ Arizona - L
Vs Atlanta - W
Vs Chicago - W

Beat SF, Houston, Atlanta, Chicago 2x, but lose to Philly and Arizona?

scratch

lol I was unaware a loss in Philadelphia was a bad loss, and I'm just trying to think of something random that will happen

Pintsizedjark

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter July 23rd 2012, 9:04 pm

@ San Francisco - W
@ Tennessee - W
Vs Minnesota - W
Bye
@ Philly - L
@ Chicago - W
Vs Seattle - W
@ Jacksonville - W
@ Minnesota - L
Vs Green Bay - L
Vs Houston - W
Vs Indy - W
@ Green Bay - L
@ Arizona - L
Vs Atlanta - W
Vs Chicago - W

If we beat Chicago on MNF I will jizz my pants lol. That's the game I'm looking forward to. I want to kick their asses

MaddMatter

Back to top Go down

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ July 23rd 2012, 9:36 pm

Vs St. Louis - W ...Lions 38 Rams 10 ...Shottenheimer will suck as usual
@ San Francisco - L ...i almost gave them a W here but cant see the no-name backfield getting anything going against the Niners D, that will make the Lions 1 Dimensional and Stafford to Megatron will be succesful they will need more...
@ Tennessee - W ...Titans aint shit
Vs Minnesota - W...Vikes might as well start contract negotiations with the #1 pick
Bye
@ Philly - L ...Philly has a great blend of players at key positions,, it comes down to D-Jax and Shady against the Lion secondary, D-Shady win
@ Chicago - L ...say what you guys want about Cutler but the guy will wing it..ALOT...now he has Brandon Marshall AND Alshon Jeffrey? lights out
Vs Seattle - W..Lions Roll
@ Jacksonville - W...Lions set records for MOST points scored in back-to-back games
@ Minnesota - W...Jared Allen is seen talkin to HC Jim Shwartz, telling him he wants out of Minny..Shwartz agrees to pursue Allen in the offseason and goes to shake his hand but Allen swats him on the back in excitement, Swartz tumbles to the ground as if he was thrown down like a ragdoll, a bench clearing brawl ensues
Vs Green Bay - L ..Rodgers vs Lions secondary? gimme Rodgers and the Over
Vs Houston - W...Arian Foster gets his 100 yds but Matt Schaub is carted off the field in mid first qtr after Suh "accidentally" reverts back to 2011 form...
Vs Indy - W...Andrew Luck, WELCOME TO THE NFL!!!
@ Green Bay - L ...sorry man, just dont see it
@ Arizona - W...Kevin ' I eat all the corn on the" Kolb is knocked unconscious when Suh ( freshly back from a 2 game suspension) leads with his helmet under Kolbs chinstrap 5 full seconds AFTER Kolb throws the ball
Vs Atlanta - W...Matty is put on ICE after connecting early and often with Julio Jones and Roddy White, he leaves the field with a commanding 31-7 lead...the Falcons lose the game 35-31 after several Stafford to Megatron TDs...
Vs Chicago - L...the Bears are just too well rounded this year

..thier you have it folks, the Lions finish 10-6 and secure a WC Berth!!! Cool
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Street Cred : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  KWicK78 July 23rd 2012, 11:11 pm

Pintsizedjark wrote:

lol I was unaware a loss in Philadelphia was a bad loss, and I'm just trying to think of something random that will happen

Well it wouldn't be a "bad" loss per se if it weren't for all the quality teams you have them beating. I still don't think Philly gets 10 wins this year. That defense is terrible and Vick can't stay healthy.

And LeSean McCoy is not scoring 20 times this year, mark my words.

I'll go on record and say 8 or 9 wins for Detroit. Madden Curse strikes again Twisted Evil
KWicK78
KWicK78

Back to top Go down

Post  Pintsizedjark July 24th 2012, 1:06 am

KWicK78 wrote:
Pintsizedjark wrote:

Well it wouldn't be a "bad" loss per se if it weren't for all the quality teams you have them beating. I still don't think Philly gets 10 wins this year. That defense is terrible and Vick can't stay healthy.

And LeSean McCoy is not scoring 20 times this year, mark my words.

I'll go on record and say 8 or 9 wins for Detroit. Madden Curse strikes again Twisted Evil

last year the Redskins beat the Giants twice, both times by two possessions, look where both teams finished respectively.

the year before that the Redskins beat the Packers and the Bears....the Packers and Bears played in the NFC championship while the Redskins finished 6-10.

anything can happen at any time.

Pintsizedjark

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down