Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

How come you don't get names on college jersey's?

5 posters

Go down

How come you don't get names on college jersey's? Empty How come you don't get names on college jersey's?

Post  Mutant July 17th 2011, 12:05 pm

Been looking at buying a Barry Sanders #20 Lions jersey and noticed the eBay seller I'm thinking of getting it from (based in the US) also sells college jersey's.

So I had a look at some of them. I noticed that they don't have names on the back. Why is that?

Might pick up one of the college jersey's too. Although not my OSU cos the seller only has two and both are too big (XXL).
Mutant
Mutant

Street Cred : 46

Back to top Go down

How come you don't get names on college jersey's? Empty Re: How come you don't get names on college jersey's?

Post  Thadden July 17th 2011, 12:10 pm

I dont know why but some teams do put the names on the back.
Thadden
Thadden

Street Cred : 44

Back to top Go down

How come you don't get names on college jersey's? Empty Re: How come you don't get names on college jersey's?

Post  CaptRCG2 July 17th 2011, 12:11 pm

Because then the colleges would likely have to pay royalties to that particular player. By not having the name on the back they can claim they aren't exploiting a particular person. Instead of selling a #2 Terrelle Pryor Jesrey, they can say they are selling a #2 OSU Jersey. Thus all the money goes to OSU and they can continue to legally exploit the players.
CaptRCG2
CaptRCG2

Street Cred : 86

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant July 17th 2011, 12:13 pm

Thadden wrote:I dont know why but some teams do put the names on the back.

Anyones you can think of who do? I'd rather have one that says

TEBOW

Than one that just says

PURDUE

That way I'd know who the jersey belonged to in college.
Mutant
Mutant

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant July 17th 2011, 12:17 pm

CaptRCG2 wrote:Because then the colleges would likely have to pay royalties to that particular player. By not having the name on the back they can claim they aren't exploiting a particular person. Instead of selling a #2 Terrelle Pryor Jesrey, they can say they are selling a #2 OSU Jersey. Thus all the money goes to OSU and they can continue to legally exploit the players.

Oh. Good point.

I never thought of it like that. Makes sense too since the NCAA doesn't seem to like college players earning any money at all. I heard you can't even accept a Burger King meal from a fan...
Mutant
Mutant

Back to top Go down

Post  Thadden July 17th 2011, 12:19 pm

Mutant wrote:
CaptRCG2 wrote:Because then the colleges would likely have to pay royalties to that particular player. By not having the name on the back they can claim they aren't exploiting a particular person. Instead of selling a #2 Terrelle Pryor Jesrey, they can say they are selling a #2 OSU Jersey. Thus all the money goes to OSU and they can continue to legally exploit the players.

Oh. Good point.

I never thought of it like that. Makes sense too since the NCAA doesn't seem to like college players earning any money at all. I heard you can't even accept a Burger King meal from a fan...
I figured that was why but then why would some teams allow names on the back of jerseys?
Thadden
Thadden

Back to top Go down

Post  Browns July 17th 2011, 2:12 pm

Thadden wrote:I figured that was why but then why would some teams allow names on the back of jerseys?
they dont. A players "likeness" may not be used when marketing a product or any merchandise. Once a player has graduated, THEN you can purchase a jersey with their name on it. Not college can sell jerseys with a players name on the back who is currently enrolled in college.
Browns
Browns

Street Cred : 41

Back to top Go down

Post  Soarindude02 July 17th 2011, 2:37 pm

There are several teams that don't have the name on the back anyway. A few that come to mind are Akron, Penn State, and I believe Notre Dame. I think.
Soarindude02
Soarindude02

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant July 17th 2011, 5:09 pm

Soarindude02 wrote:There are several teams that don't have the name on the back anyway. A few that come to mind are Akron, Penn State, and I believe Notre Dame. I think.

Almost all the ones I saw the eBay seller had no name on the back.

A they all had either just the number or the number with the college name/team above.

Like:

HOKIES

FLORIDA
Mutant
Mutant

Back to top Go down

Post  Browns July 18th 2011, 6:23 pm

Mutant wrote:
TEBOW

Than one that just says

PURDUE

That way I'd know who the jersey belonged to in college.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FLORIDA-GATORS-15-Tim-Tebow-SEWN-Jersey-L-/360351340381?pt=US_NCAA_Fan_Shop&hash=item53e69d175d#ht_1255wt_1028

^See since tebow isnt a part of the team anymore, they can sell a jersey with his name on the back as an "alumni" jersey.

Browns
Browns

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant July 19th 2011, 12:23 pm

Thanks guys.

Just another small question:

Do Colosseum make the jersey's for some teams? Only reason I ask is because I thought Nike did the college teams and I've never heard of Colosseum.

I like the look of this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Texas-Longhorns-FOOTBALL-JERSEY-sewn-Colosseum-Lg-NWT-/360138770162?pt=US_NCAA_Fan_Shop&hash=item53d9f186f2

Not a bad price either.
Mutant
Mutant

Back to top Go down

Post  Soarindude02 July 19th 2011, 12:50 pm

Mutant wrote:Thanks guys.

Do Colosseum make the jersey's for some teams? Only reason I ask is because I thought Nike did the college teams and I've never heard of Colosseum.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Texas-Longhorns-FOOTBALL-JERSEY-sewn-Colosseum-Lg-NWT-/360138770162?pt=US_NCAA_Fan_Shop&hash=item53d9f186f2

Not a bad price either.

Never heard of Colosseum. My guess, a cheaper brand. The Texas Uniforms don't even look like that.....

Well the thing is, all teams have different sponsors. Some teams have Nike, others have Adidas. You also have some Under Armour which is becoming popular, and the dreaded "Russell" athletics.
Soarindude02
Soarindude02

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant July 19th 2011, 12:54 pm

Soarindude02 wrote:

Not a bad price either.

Never heard of Colosseum. My guess, a cheaper brand. The Texas Uniforms don't even look like that.....

Well the thing is, all teams have different sponsors. Some teams have Nike, others have Adidas. You also have some Under Armour which is becoming popular, and the dreaded "Russell" athletics.

It's either an older design or it's fake...

I mean $30 for an Premier/Authenic? That's crazy cheap (seller says it's stiched and shit, not printed like a replica).
Mutant
Mutant

Back to top Go down

Post  Thadden July 19th 2011, 1:52 pm

Brownsxfanx31 wrote:
Thadden wrote:I figured that was why but then why would some teams allow names on the back of jerseys?
they dont. A players "likeness" may not be used when marketing a product or any merchandise. Once a player has graduated, THEN you can purchase a jersey with their name on it. Not college can sell jerseys with a players name on the back who is currently enrolled in college.
I was confused. You guys are talking about selling the jerseys, Im talking about teams that have players names on the back while playing.
Thadden
Thadden

Back to top Go down

Post  Soarindude02 July 19th 2011, 1:57 pm

Mutant wrote:
Soarindude02 wrote:

Not a bad price either.

It's either an older design or it's fake...

I mean $30 for an Premier/Authenic? That's crazy cheap (seller says it's stiched and shit, not printed like a replica).

I'd try Amazon. They have some good deals, and they have actual jerseys that you can usually rely on. That's where I got my Michigan jersey. I got my FSU jersey from a local Mall. Same with all my NFL jerseys.
Soarindude02
Soarindude02

Back to top Go down

Post  Browns July 19th 2011, 3:08 pm

I've seen that colleseum thing. Its their kinda like the jerseys you see at walmart. They are licensed and all, but far from the real thing. Don't buy them.
Browns
Browns

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant July 19th 2011, 3:36 pm

Brownsxfanx31 wrote:I've seen that colleseum thing. Its their kinda like the jerseys you see at walmart. They are licensed and all, but far from the real thing. Don't buy them.

Wouldn't know, don't get Wal-Mart here.

But I see your point. Kinda like Champion with NBA vests? Cheap and nasty things.
Mutant
Mutant

Back to top Go down

Post  Browns July 19th 2011, 3:41 pm

Mutant wrote:
Brownsxfanx31 wrote:I've seen that colleseum thing. Its their kinda like the jerseys you see at walmart. They are licensed and all, but far from the real thing. Don't buy them.

Wouldn't know, don't get Wal-Mart here.

But I see your point. Kinda like Champion with NBA vests? Cheap and nasty things.
Bingo.

Like Heres a comparison of a "Walmart" Jersey to a normal jersey.

Walmart:
How come you don't get names on college jersey's? AAAAC-ZQOZgAAAAAAQhORQ

Real thing:
How come you don't get names on college jersey's? Pittsburgh-Steelers-43-Troy-Polamalu-Youth-NFL-Black-Jersey

The Colleseum jerseys sometimes look OK but most of the time you'll want to stay away from em.
Browns
Browns

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down