Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

Lions Talk:

+5
SteelersJMB
Mutant
TRU11
ccdog23
MaddMatter
9 posters

Go down

Lions Talk: Empty Lions Talk:

Post  MaddMatter July 31st 2011, 2:50 am

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, LETS GET THIS LOCKED!!!!

Durant and Wright? I can live with it, I still expect at least 1 more quality LB and CB. This defense should be fun to watch throughout the season, just hoping Delmas and Levy stay healthy as well as a majority of the D-line.

MaddMatter

Street Cred : 125

http://www.sportsworldforums.com

Back to top Go down

Lions Talk: Empty Re: Lions Talk:

Post  ccdog23 July 31st 2011, 2:54 am

Lets go Lions,wouldn't be surprised at all if they have a better record than the Cowboys.
ccdog23
ccdog23

Street Cred : 113

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter July 31st 2011, 2:57 am

ccdog wrote:Lets go Lions,wouldn't be surprised at all if they have a better record than the Cowboys.

I think 9 should be minimum I think they have the potential to be 10-6 or even 11-5 Shocked Shocked Shocked

As long as we stay healthy in key positions.

MaddMatter

Back to top Go down

Post  ccdog23 July 31st 2011, 3:05 am

MaddMatt wrote:
ccdog wrote:Lets go Lions,wouldn't be surprised at all if they have a better record than the Cowboys.

I think 9 should be minimum I think they have the potential to be 10-6 or even 11-5 Shocked Shocked Shocked

I'm hoping for a 10-6 season,IMO think that's pretty reasonable.I just hope Stafford can stay healthy.
ccdog23
ccdog23

Street Cred : 113

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU11 July 31st 2011, 6:41 am

lets get stafford play a full season first before making predictions.
TRU11
TRU11

Street Cred : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter July 31st 2011, 12:51 pm

TRU11 wrote:lets get stafford play a full season first before making predictions.

So I can't make a prediction about 2011 until next year? Damn Sad

Also I'm bumping up my prediction from 9-7 to 10-6 min.

Lions, if healthy, should have one of the best front 7's in the league with the signing of Tulloch and Durant. Hell Levy is really good too, he started to play better towards the end of the year, he missed all of camp with a groin injury I believe. He was never 100% healthy, but now Levy moves to the OLB position with the addition of Tulloch, so you have a healthy, better ("experts" think he would be better at OLB) Levy on the outside. The #1 Free Agent LB in Tulloch and then when healthy a pretty good OLB Justin Durant. Not to mention that D-line.

MaddMatter

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU11 August 1st 2011, 3:27 am

who is the back up lol.

if matt is around you guys will probaly have a winning season.

if he is on IR again you guys need to draft a QB and i dont see you guys win more then 7 to 8 games.

its still the packers division and the bears look improved to some degree.

with packers, falcons, saints, eagles and whoever wins the remaining division i have a hard time picturing the lions in a playoff spot.
TRU11
TRU11

Street Cred : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant August 1st 2011, 8:29 am

I agree with Tru. If Stafford doesn't get through this season playing AT LEAST 13 games, you should look to get a QB in the next draft.

You need a franchise QB, not a guy who's spent more time on the treatment table than he has on the field. This is gonna be his make-or-break season. If he doesn't deliver and gets hurt again and gets dumped on IR after Week 5 then it wasn't to be.

10 wins is a bit of a stretch too. I think it's more realistic to aim for 8-8 or 9-7 THEN aim for 10-6 next year. You went 6-10 last year. Take it one season at a time.
Mutant
Mutant

Street Cred : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelersJMB August 1st 2011, 10:31 am

MaddMatt wrote:

WOW really? Hmm thats a pretty bold statement. A lot of "what ifs" need to happen in order for the Lions to actually live up to this sudden hype they've recieved.
SteelersJMB
SteelersJMB

Street Cred : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomReturns93 August 1st 2011, 11:12 am

Honestly, with the additions of tulloch, wright, fairley, and leshoure (who iive seen play, he is an absolute beast and I think he and best could be the best rb duo in the league in a few years) I don't think an 11-5 season is out of the question.

Tulloch is a very good lb and wright is a perfectly capable cb, I think the contributions they'll make to this team are being undervalued...they could potentially bring this defense to the next level.
PhantomReturns93
PhantomReturns93

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter August 1st 2011, 7:17 pm

Mutant why would 7-9 or 8-8 be more realistic? Just curios. They've actually got Linebackers now in Tulloch and Durant instead of Bobby Carpenter and Ashlee Palmer. So the defense is improved. A healthier Best and a nice complement in Leshoure is a nice addition to the run game. AND we get our starting QB back? (Who is tons better than Shaun Hill, no offense to him, he is a great Back up and could start on some other teams). Get this, we actually have a 3rd WR now instead of our back up TE being our 3rd WR in Titus Young. (Little known fact, Bryant Johnson had the WORST catch percentage the last couple of years, right behind Braylon Edwards).

So we win 3 games with a back up QB and 2 games with a 3rd string QB. Plus the 1 win with Stafford and LEADS in both the games he was knocked out in? I think this team will contend for a playoff spot. Bears and Vikings do not scare me. Packers don't scare scare me, but they will be tough competition.

And if ANYONE says ANYTHING about their CB/DB's being crap I will flip a gah damn nut.

1. @Tampa Bay- We beat them with a 3rd string QB, why cant we beat them with a better defense and our starting QB.
2. KC- They lose Charlie Weiss who I think will be a huge loss for them. I feel the same way I do about the Bucs with KC. They go from bad to good in a year? Usually teams don't rebound like that then stay like that*. Plus its the home opener with that Ford Field crowd?
3. @ Minn: Rebuilding mode.
5 Chicago: Monday Night Football in Detroit? No Way we lose.
6. San Fran: New Coach, no time in the offseason, no QB against Lions front 4?
8. @ Denver: Do you see Tebow beating that Lions front 7?
11. Carolina: Cam Newton, Nick Fairley wants to kill you now.
12. Green Bay- We beat them at home last year, we should be able to do it again.
14 Minn- See Above.

That's 9 "should win games" right there. Stealing another W here or there doesn't seem to crazy.

*Examples:
2005 Saints 3-13
2006 Saints: 10-6
2007 Saints 7-9

2007 Dolphins 1-15
2008 Dolphins 11-5
2009 Dolphins 7-9

Two of the similar scenarios. Going from a top 5 pick to the playoffs , to a losing record

MaddMatter

Back to top Go down

Post  at23steelers August 1st 2011, 8:03 pm

This thread is about to be locked. Only football talk can be about how awesome the Steelers are!!
at23steelers
at23steelers

Street Cred : -17

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant August 2nd 2011, 11:26 am

MaddMatt wrote:Mutant why would 7-9 or 8-8 be more realistic? Just curios. They've actually got Linebackers now in Tulloch and Durant instead of Bobby Carpenter and Ashlee Palmer. So the defense is improved. A healthier Best and a nice complement in Leshoure is a nice addition to the run game. AND we get our starting QB back? (Who is tons better than Shaun Hill, no offense to him, he is a great Back up and could start on some other teams). Get this, we actually have a 3rd WR now instead of our back up TE being our 3rd WR in Titus Young. (Little known fact, Bryant Johnson had the WORST catch percentage the last couple of years, right behind Braylon Edwards).

So we win 3 games with a back up QB and 2 games with a 3rd string QB. Plus the 1 win with Stafford and LEADS in both the games he was knocked out in? I think this team will contend for a playoff spot. Bears and Vikings do not scare me. Packers don't scare scare me, but they will be tough competition.

And if ANYONE says ANYTHING about their CB/DB's being crap I will flip a gah damn nut.

1. @Tampa Bay- We beat them with a 3rd string QB, why cant we beat them with a better defense and our starting QB.
2. KC- They lose Charlie Weiss who I think will be a huge loss for them. I feel the same way I do about the Bucs with KC. They go from bad to good in a year? Usually teams don't rebound like that then stay like that*. Plus its the home opener with that Ford Field crowd?
3. @ Minn: Rebuilding mode.
5 Chicago: Monday Night Football in Detroit? No Way we lose.
6. San Fran: New Coach, no time in the offseason, no QB against Lions front 4?
8. @ Denver: Do you see Tebow beating that Lions front 7?
11. Carolina: Cam Newton, Nick Fairley wants to kill you now.
12. Green Bay- We beat them at home last year, we should be able to do it again.
14 Minn- See Above.

That's 9 "should win games" right there. Stealing another W here or there doesn't seem to crazy.

*Examples:
2005 Saints 3-13
2006 Saints: 10-6
2007 Saints 7-9

2007 Dolphins 1-15
2008 Dolphins 11-5
2009 Dolphins 7-9

Two of the similar scenarios. Going from a top 5 pick to the playoffs , to a losing record

Well look at your examples. Both teams have a losing season then a winning season, then another losing season.

Do you want your Lions to have gone 6-10 last year to 10-6 this year and back down to 5-11 in 2012? The way I see it, you're GRADUALLY improving from that 0-16 season. I think going from 6-10 to 10-6 is too steep. You don't know how those new signings will turn out.

I just think it's better to take it slow. Not saying you can't get 10-6 and get to the play-offs thanks to the Wildcard and Cuntler falling apart in the last 6 games...
Mutant
Mutant

Street Cred : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  at23steelers August 2nd 2011, 11:59 am

Lions will go 9-7 vying with the 9-7 Buccaneers for the 2nd WC spot.
at23steelers
at23steelers

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter August 2nd 2011, 1:20 pm

Mutant wrote:
Well look at your examples. Both teams have a losing season then a winning season, then another losing season.

Do you want your Lions to have gone 6-10 last year to 10-6 this year and back down to 5-11 in 2012? The way I see it, you're GRADUALLY improving from that 0-16 season. I think going from 6-10 to 10-6 is too steep. You don't know how those new signings will turn out.

I just think it's better to take it slow. Not saying you can't get 10-6 and get to the play-offs thanks to the Wildcard and Cuntler falling apart in the last 6 games...

Yeah the Lions haven't made a big jump. 0-16, 2-14, 6-10, I don't think 10-6 is unrealistic. That is gradual improvement over that huge jump.

MaddMatter

Back to top Go down

Post  at23steelers August 2nd 2011, 1:23 pm

MaddMatt wrote:
Mutant wrote:

Yeah the Lions haven't made a big jump. 0-16, 2-14, 6-10, I don't think 10-6 is unrealistic. That is gradual improvement over that huge jump.

Well, the first year they get 2 more wins. The following year they get 4 more wins. So, this year they get 8 more wins!!! cheers
at23steelers
at23steelers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest August 4th 2011, 12:21 pm

The lions just have to get the running game more involved I think and that y they drafted leshoure

Back to top Go down

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ August 4th 2011, 3:37 pm

if stafford plays 16 games i can see them at 10-6, possibly 11-5...looking at them on paper they have all the tools to get it done, everything hinges on Mattew "Glass" Stafford
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Street Cred : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter August 4th 2011, 7:24 pm

MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:if stafford plays 16 games i can see them at 10-6, possibly 11-5...looking at them on paper they have all the tools to get it done, everything hinges on Mattew "Glass" Stafford

Well I'd be lieing if I said I won't be holding my breath every time he gets hit (at least for the first few weeks) but I think he can stay healthy. Hell he had the same surgery as Bradford I believe and he didn't seem like he was injured at all last year.

MaddMatter

Back to top Go down

Post  at23steelers August 4th 2011, 7:25 pm

MaddMatt wrote:
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:if stafford plays 16 games i can see them at 10-6, possibly 11-5...looking at them on paper they have all the tools to get it done, everything hinges on Mattew "Glass" Stafford

Well I'd be lieing if I said I won't be holding my breath every time he gets hit (at least for the first few weeks) but I think he can stay healthy. Hell he had the same surgery as Bradford I believe and he didn't seem like he was injured at all last year.

Yeah but what if Bill Nye could fly?
at23steelers
at23steelers

Back to top Go down

Post  legendkiller716 August 4th 2011, 11:40 pm

Why haven't they went out and got a good back up yet? They should have been looking at guys like Thigpen, Bulger, T-Jack, even VY.

I also think they should have made a play for Osi or Mathias. KVB is decent, but getting one of those great speed rushers would make the Lions D-line damn near the best in the league, if not the best. I don't know what their cap is looking like, but a good edge rusher would really allow that defense to carry them to 10 wins.

legendkiller716
legendkiller716

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter August 5th 2011, 2:28 am

legendkiller716 wrote:Why haven't they went out and got a good back up yet? They should have been looking at guys like Thigpen, Bulger, T-Jack, even VY.

I also think they should have made a play for Osi or Mathias. KVB is decent, but getting one of those great speed rushers would make the Lions D-line damn near the best in the league, if not the best. I don't know what their cap is looking like, but a good edge rusher would really allow that defense to carry them to 10 wins.

They got one of the best back ups in the league in Shaun Hill though. They DO NOT need Osi. We have a great speed pass rusher in Cliff Avril (8.5 sacks last season) Who just signed his 1 year tender but wants to stick around long term. I've heard we are 5 million over the cap. So well see what happens in the coming days.

MaddMatter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down