Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

Ray Lewis foresees Criminal Activity?

+7
TRU11
JermikesHere
Thadden
KWicK78
SteelersJMB
EPICxPENGUIN69
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
11 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ray Lewis foresees Criminal Activity? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ray Lewis foresees Criminal Activity?

Post  Guest May 24th 2011, 3:04 am

KWicK78 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

No, you misunderstood what I said...sigh

He's an expert moreso than anyone else on the subject because he grew up in those neighborhoods, he goes to those neighborhoods REGULARLY, not "from time to time", he knows what those people do, he knows how those people live because he was one of them at one point in his life. He knows that some of those people who live in the projects, in the hoods, in the ghettos live through the NFL and use the NFL to stay out of trouble and gangs, much like people like you and I use other hobbies such as Video Games, baseball, etc. to stay out of trouble. He's saying if you take that away, there's a good chance that those people will go get into trouble or find trouble. Is that really that hard to understand? Sure, he could be wrong, but he's just saying "watch" if the crime goes up.

Heh, I like that majority comment. Someone was watching Around The Horn today Smile but yeah those people on ATH and whatever show is on right now with Wilbon and Cornheiser are not understanding what he's saying, much like many of you guys on here. They are thinking that "oh well the crime is not increasing right now!" Well, yeah, because this is a normal period where there is normally no football, but wait until this period is extended and there is no NFL season and those people living in those bad neighborhoods don't have anything to do during the summer and fall and winter. Just wait and see...If it doesn't happen, then it doesn't happen, and that's for the good. If it does, then we'll know at least one person who called it.

Nobody is saying anything about "right now". Everyone, except you and Ray Lewis, are saying that the NFL impacts the crime rate about as much as Harry Potter. These kids from poor neighborhoods aren't going to commit crime if they can watch the NFL on TV? Is that really the thesis statement here.

Little lesson for you. Since you are in college, you may hear it, but I'm going to put you ahead of the curve Wink :

Poor people commit crime. Period. It's how the cycle works. To say that they are going to commit more crime because for 23, or however many, Sundays, they won't be distracted is a ridiculous statement. As I said before, it's two days a week for these people that "need the NFL to stay out of trouble." Please...

The point that the players crime rate will increase is entirely feasible. They spend all week during the season with football. Not two damn days like these poor people that Ray is so worried about. It's incredibly conceited and inaccurate to think that the NFL determines the level of crime in the country. I believe you truly understand this. You don't want to admit that Ray said something incredibly ignorant.

I don't care if he spends 60 hours a week in some poor neighborhoods. He obviously doesn't understand a damn thing about what causes crime.

The theory that people won't commit crime because they have other things to do and have a lack of opportunity to commit crime is called "Routine Activities Theory". The studies have proved "inconclusive" at best. Look it up. Do a little research before you take something at face value. Especially when it's a football player talking about the crime rate of an entire country

Well, I guess instead of listening to someone who visits these neighborhoods regularly and has lived there and relates to the people that live there and knows for a fact that people live through the NFL and such, we should listen to someone who has absolutely no knowledge of the situation Smile

Gotcha.

Back to top Go down

Ray Lewis foresees Criminal Activity? - Page 3 Empty Re: Ray Lewis foresees Criminal Activity?

Post  barneyb May 24th 2011, 3:42 am

We can all make ridiculous unsubstantiated claims in the hope that people believe them to be fact just because you make a half arsed attempt to reason it through.

I, for example, could argue that the crime rate would fall in the event of a lockout as a result of there no longer being people going out to the watch the game somewhere, seeing their team lose, and taking out their frustration through beating up their wife or something else. I mean, look at the higher crime rate in Detroit (with a losing team, sorry Matt) to New England.

Just because i added an ounce of reasoning, this doesn't make it anywhere near true, and drawing in facts that are almost completely unrelated only helps to make it sound more credible to all those who believe exactly what they read.
barneyb
barneyb

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post  TRU11 May 24th 2011, 6:44 am

bp_brien wrote:We can all make ridiculous unsubstantiated claims in the hope that people believe them to be fact just because you make a half arsed attempt to reason it through.

I, for example, could argue that the crime rate would fall in the event of a lockout as a result of there no longer being people going out to the watch the game somewhere, seeing their team lose, and taking out their frustration through beating up their wife or something else. I mean, look at the higher crime rate in Detroit (with a losing team, sorry Matt) to New England.

Just because i added an ounce of reasoning, this doesn't make it anywhere near true, and drawing in facts that are almost completely unrelated only helps to make it sound more credible to all those who believe exactly what they read.

Laughing
TRU11
TRU11

Street Cred : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  JermikesHere May 24th 2011, 10:43 am

If anybody wanted to know why I laugh at sna and call him out for RIDICULOUS posts and being the biggest homer of all time, just read this thread and his comments about Saint Ray Lewis. Unbelievably hilarious.
JermikesHere
JermikesHere

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ May 24th 2011, 11:06 am

Heres a direct quote from Ray Lewis...

“Do this research if we don’t have a season — watch how much evil, which we call crime, watch how much crime picks up, if you take away our game,” Lewis said. “There’s too many people that live through us, people live through us. Yeah, walk in the streets, the way I walk the streets, and I’m not talking about the people you see all the time.”

...to me he sounds pretty anxious to get out in the streets and start looting or cause some other kind of mayhem, im starting to think hes actually looking forward to the crimes he can commit if he isnt playing football on Sunday..if anyone lives near Ray Lewis you better lock your doors!! Shocked
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Street Cred : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelersJMB May 24th 2011, 12:31 pm

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
KWicK78 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

He's an expert moreso than anyone else on the subject because he grew up in those neighborhoods, he goes to those neighborhoods REGULARLY, not "from time to time", he knows what those people do, he knows how those people live because he was one of them at one point in his life. He knows that some of those people who live in the projects, in the hoods, in the ghettos live through the NFL and use the NFL to stay out of trouble and gangs, much like people like you and I use other hobbies such as Video Games, baseball, etc. to stay out of trouble. He's saying if you take that away, there's a good chance that those people will go get into trouble or find trouble. Is that really that hard to understand? Sure, he could be wrong, but he's just saying "watch" if the crime goes up.

Heh, I like that majority comment. Someone was watching Around The Horn today Smile but yeah those people on ATH and whatever show is on right now with Wilbon and Cornheiser are not understanding what he's saying, much like many of you guys on here. They are thinking that "oh well the crime is not increasing right now!" Well, yeah, because this is a normal period where there is normally no football, but wait until this period is extended and there is no NFL season and those people living in those bad neighborhoods don't have anything to do during the summer and fall and winter. Just wait and see...If it doesn't happen, then it doesn't happen, and that's for the good. If it does, then we'll know at least one person who called it.

Nobody is saying anything about "right now". Everyone, except you and Ray Lewis, are saying that the NFL impacts the crime rate about as much as Harry Potter. These kids from poor neighborhoods aren't going to commit crime if they can watch the NFL on TV? Is that really the thesis statement here.

Little lesson for you. Since you are in college, you may hear it, but I'm going to put you ahead of the curve Wink :

Poor people commit crime. Period. It's how the cycle works. To say that they are going to commit more crime because for 23, or however many, Sundays, they won't be distracted is a ridiculous statement. As I said before, it's two days a week for these people that "need the NFL to stay out of trouble." Please...

The point that the players crime rate will increase is entirely feasible. They spend all week during the season with football. Not two damn days like these poor people that Ray is so worried about. It's incredibly conceited and inaccurate to think that the NFL determines the level of crime in the country. I believe you truly understand this. You don't want to admit that Ray said something incredibly ignorant.

I don't care if he spends 60 hours a week in some poor neighborhoods. He obviously doesn't understand a damn thing about what causes crime.

The theory that people won't commit crime because they have other things to do and have a lack of opportunity to commit crime is called "Routine Activities Theory". The studies have proved "inconclusive" at best. Look it up. Do a little research before you take something at face value. Especially when it's a football player talking about the crime rate of an entire country

Well, I guess instead of listening to someone who visits these neighborhoods regularly and has lived there and relates to the people that live there and knows for a fact that people live through the NFL and such, we should listen to someone who has absolutely no knowledge of the situation Smile

Gotcha.

Oh yea he goes there every week bro Rolling Eyes
No we SHOULDN'T listen to someone who can't bring up any numbers saying that the crime rate will go up or anything to even justify what he said, looks like you got your "I'll say things and not bring any evidence to back it up" from Ray Lewis himself, thats the only thing I can gather from this discussion.
Its as if you WANT to be right, like if crime does go up you and Ray can both say "we told you so"
SteelersJMB
SteelersJMB

Street Cred : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelersJMB May 24th 2011, 12:32 pm

JermikesHere wrote:If anybody wanted to know why I laugh at sna and call him out for RIDICULOUS posts and being the biggest homer of all time, just read this thread and his comments about Saint Ray Lewis. Unbelievably hilarious.

lol!
SteelersJMB
SteelersJMB

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest May 24th 2011, 12:46 pm

SteelersJMB wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
KWicK78 wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Gotcha.

Oh yea he goes there every week bro Rolling Eyes
No we SHOULDN'T listen to someone who can't bring up any numbers saying that the crime rate will go up or anything to even justify what he said, looks like you got your "I'll say things and not bring any evidence to back it up" from Ray Lewis himself, thats the only thing I can gather from this discussion.
Its as if you WANT to be right, like if crime does go up you and Ray can both say "we told you so"

Oh my god...for the 1,459,395,956th mother fucking time:

THERE ARE NO FUCKING NUMBERS TO SUPPORT WHAT HE'S SAYING BECAUSE HE IS SAYING WATCH WHAT HAPPENS IN THERE IS NO NFL SEASON, AND THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A TIME WHEN THE NFL SEASON WAS COMPLETELY CANCELLED (to my knowledge).

Does that make it any more god damn clear to you, or do I have to keep repeating myself?

Never, ever, ever everevereverever in his interview did he say "Remember *insert time when the NFL season was cancelled* and the crime went up?! It's going to happen again!!!" No, he just said that if there is NO NFL SEASON AT ALL, watch how much crime will pick up during that span.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest May 24th 2011, 12:47 pm

MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:Heres a direct quote from Ray Lewis...

“Do this research if we don’t have a season — watch how much evil, which we call crime, watch how much crime picks up, if you take away our game,” Lewis said. “There’s too many people that live through us, people live through us. Yeah, walk in the streets, the way I walk the streets, and I’m not talking about the people you see all the time.”

...to me he sounds pretty anxious to get out in the streets and start looting or cause some other kind of mayhem, im starting to think hes actually looking forward to the crimes he can commit if he isnt playing football on Sunday..if anyone lives near Ray Lewis you better lock your doors!! Shocked

And if you actually watched the interview, you would know that in between those sentences Sao is talking to him as well, and when he says "I'm not talking about the people you see all the time" it was referring to Sao referencing the stadium employees and kids on the streets, not the players.

Back to top Go down

Post  JermikesHere May 24th 2011, 12:55 pm

Everyone who is arguing with sna the homer.. you should know by now that Ray Lewis is a damn SAINT. He mentors 108.5% of all NFL players and leads them all on the right path to salvation! When he isn't playing football, he is living in poor neighborhoods teaching all the people how to lead good lives and he takes people straight out of prison and turns them into model citizens just by talking to them. He is a father to every father-less child in the United States. He meets up with sick and handicapped children and just by touching their foreheads he heals them with his super Ray Lewis powers.

DON'T YOU GUYS GET IT BY NOW????? RAY LEWIS IS THE BEST!!!!
JermikesHere
JermikesHere

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest May 24th 2011, 12:57 pm

Listen, I respect anyone's opinion who say they don't agree with what he's saying, but at least UNDERSTAND what he is saying before you say you don't agree with him. That's all. I think I've said enough here.

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelersJMB May 24th 2011, 12:59 pm

JermikesHere wrote:Everyone who is arguing with sna the homer.. you should know by now that Ray Lewis is a damn SAINT. He mentors 108.5% of all NFL players and leads them all on the right path to salvation! When he isn't playing football, he is living in poor neighborhoods teaching all the people how to lead good lives and he takes people straight out of prison and turns them into model citizens just by talking to them. He is a father to every father-less child in the United States. He meets up with sick and handicapped children and just by touching their foreheads he heals them with his super Ray Lewis powers.

You probably would come off as a good debater if it wasn't for these types of comments, other than this everything you say usually has evidence to back it up and you aren't a complete homer toward the NYJ
SteelersJMB
SteelersJMB

Back to top Go down

Post  JermikesHere May 24th 2011, 1:14 pm

SteelersJMB wrote:
JermikesHere wrote:Everyone who is arguing with sna the homer.. you should know by now that Ray Lewis is a damn SAINT. He mentors 108.5% of all NFL players and leads them all on the right path to salvation! When he isn't playing football, he is living in poor neighborhoods teaching all the people how to lead good lives and he takes people straight out of prison and turns them into model citizens just by talking to them. He is a father to every father-less child in the United States. He meets up with sick and handicapped children and just by touching their foreheads he heals them with his super Ray Lewis powers.

You probably would come off as a good debater if it wasn't for these types of comments, other than this everything you say usually has evidence to back it up and you aren't a complete homer toward the NYJ

I only make these comments towards sna because hundreds of posts PROVING him wrong with stats and facts just fall on deaf ears.. so might as well just mock him for his insane ridiculous homerism. This thread is a prime example of him just being allergic to facts and just thinking all things Ravens are the greatest at everything.

Ray Lewis could come out and say "I support AIDS and hope all white people get it" and sna would twist it and say we are idiots for thinking Ray Lewis is a racist and an asshole. It's just the way it is.
JermikesHere
JermikesHere

Back to top Go down

Post  KWicK78 May 24th 2011, 3:08 pm

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:Listen, I respect anyone's opinion who say they don't agree with what he's saying, but at least UNDERSTAND what he is saying before you say you don't agree with him. That's all. I think I've said enough here.

Finally got one thing right
KWicK78
KWicK78

Street Cred : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  BaltRavensFan20 May 24th 2011, 4:19 pm

JermikesHere wrote:
SteelersJMB wrote:

I only make these comments towards sna because hundreds of posts PROVING him wrong with stats and facts just fall on deaf ears.. so might as well just mock him for his insane ridiculous homerism. This thread is a prime example of him just being allergic to facts and just thinking all things Ravens are the greatest at everything.

Ray Lewis could come out and say "I support AIDS and hope all white people get it" and sna would twist it and say we are idiots for thinking Ray Lewis is a racist and an asshole. It's just the way it is.

Uhh technically we aren't hearing the words you say, we are reading them, so it wouldn't be falling on deaf ears. You could say it could be falling on blinded eyes. Wink
BaltRavensFan20
BaltRavensFan20

Street Cred : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest May 24th 2011, 4:47 pm

JermikesHere wrote:
SteelersJMB wrote:

Oh, you mean kind of like how people twisted and misunderstood what he said in the interview to:

a) make it seem like Ray wants to commit murder himself and he was referencing himself in some way.
b) make it seem like Ray was talking about the off-season right now when he was talking about if the upcoming NFL season is cancelled.
c) make it seem like Ray talked about solving the lockout himself when referencing a text he sent to DeMaurice Smith.
or d) all of the above

Back to top Go down

Post  JermikesHere May 24th 2011, 6:08 pm

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
JermikesHere wrote:
SteelersJMB wrote:

Oh, you mean kind of like how people twisted and misunderstood what he said in the interview to:

a) make it seem like Ray wants to commit murder himself and he was referencing himself in some way.
b) make it seem like Ray was talking about the off-season right now when he was talking about if the upcoming NFL season is cancelled.
c) make it seem like Ray talked about solving the lockout himself when referencing a text he sent to DeMaurice Smith.
or d) all of the above

Funny how you make a fuss about getting things understood properly when it's about Saint Ray or a Raven and you want to make them look good. Any other story you post about you just make crap up (actually you usually do this about Saint Ray and the Ravens as well).. for example, you said in the Glen Coffee thread that he quit football and said "I FOUND JESUS!! HALLELUJAH!" as the reason for quitting. Are you sure that's accurate?
JermikesHere
JermikesHere

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest May 24th 2011, 6:27 pm

JermikesHere wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
JermikesHere wrote:
SteelersJMB wrote:

or d) all of the above

Funny how you make a fuss about getting things understood properly when it's about Saint Ray or a Raven and you want to make them look good. Any other story you post about you just make crap up (actually you usually do this about Saint Ray and the Ravens as well).. for example, you said in the Glen Coffee thread that he quit football and said "I FOUND JESUS!! HALLELUJAH!" as the reason for quitting. Are you sure that's accurate?

Glen Coffee did not say that, I used that in generality as something you shouldn't say as an excuse to quit a sport you supposedly have wanted to play professionally since you were a young boy.

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelersJMB May 25th 2011, 2:35 am

Thought you said you were done posting in this thread? Rolling Eyes
SteelersJMB
SteelersJMB

Back to top Go down

Post  JermikesHere May 25th 2011, 9:45 am

SteelersJMB wrote:Thought you said you were done posting in this thread? Rolling Eyes

What and miss a chance for him to tell everyone how wonderful Saint Ray is? Get out of here..
JermikesHere
JermikesHere

Back to top Go down

Ray Lewis foresees Criminal Activity? - Page 3 Empty Ray Lewis is just as dumb as SnA

Post  Guest May 27th 2011, 4:51 am

The NFL lockout does seem to be leading to an increase in criminal behavior among one demographic: NFL players. Arrests among NFL players have spiked during the lockout this spring and will only rise during the season, I'll give you that, but Ray wasn't talking about his fellow players now was he? Studies show that that crime rates spike during college football game days and the findings are quite striking, and they report large rises in assaults, vandalism, and disorderly conduct on game days.

As might be expected, this effect is large in the city of the home team, but basically non-existent in the city of the visitors.You might be worried that this rise in arrests reflects more police on the street on game day (and hence more arrests per crime), rather than simply more crime. But the authors provide a clever response, noting that upset losses by the home team have a particularly large effect on violent assaults, while expected losses have little effect. Unless police chiefs are also successfully forecasting football outcomes, it seems that this alternative explanation doesn’t hold water.

Obviously, sport was at the heart of the recent case of Bryan Stow, the San Francisco Giants fan who was severely beaten by Dodger fans after an Opening Day game in L.A. I’ve seen many many violent acts at tailgates, during the game, and post-game. Downtown Cleveland and Philly must be 10x worse on gamedays than every other day… so I think Ray’s underestimating the amount of violence DUE to football.

It is sad he thinks that most NFL fans are little more than criminals lying in wait. For all the flaws inherent in human nature, I don’t think that most people are like that. Like Ron Paul asked about drugs earlier this month: “if we legalize heroin tomorrow, is everyone is going use heroin?” No, and likewise the loss of sports won’t create criminals either.

No one misunderstood him...that's like saying people misunderstood Reggie Bush or Wes Welker saying they are enjoying the lockout.

Glenn Coffee even said that the NFL and the players are all about money.

SnA you are an idiot. You have nothing intelligent or relevant to say.

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelersJMB May 27th 2011, 10:35 am

Spookyweezel wrote:The NFL lockout does seem to be leading to an increase in criminal behavior among one demographic: NFL players. Arrests among NFL players have spiked during the lockout this spring and will only rise during the season, I'll give you that, but Ray wasn't talking about his fellow players now was he? Studies show that that crime rates spike during college football game days and the findings are quite striking, and they report large rises in assaults, vandalism, and disorderly conduct on game days.

As might be expected, this effect is large in the city of the home team, but basically non-existent in the city of the visitors.You might be worried that this rise in arrests reflects more police on the street on game day (and hence more arrests per crime), rather than simply more crime. But the authors provide a clever response, noting that upset losses by the home team have a particularly large effect on violent assaults, while expected losses have little effect. Unless police chiefs are also successfully forecasting football outcomes, it seems that this alternative explanation doesn’t hold water.

Obviously, sport was at the heart of the recent case of Bryan Stow, the San Francisco Giants fan who was severely beaten by Dodger fans after an Opening Day game in L.A. I’ve seen many many violent acts at tailgates, during the game, and post-game. Downtown Cleveland and Philly must be 10x worse on gamedays than every other day… so I think Ray’s underestimating the amount of violence DUE to football.

It is sad he thinks that most NFL fans are little more than criminals lying in wait. For all the flaws inherent in human nature, I don’t think that most people are like that. Like Ron Paul asked about drugs earlier this month: “if we legalize heroin tomorrow, is everyone is going use heroin?” No, and likewise the loss of sports won’t create criminals either.

No one misunderstood him...that's like saying people misunderstood Reggie Bush or Wes Welker saying they are enjoying the lockout.

Glenn Coffee even said that the NFL and the players are all about money.

SnA you are an idiot. You have nothing intelligent or relevant to say.

That last comment was idiotic and irrelevant, ironic huh?
SteelersJMB
SteelersJMB

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest May 27th 2011, 12:43 pm

How cute, another stalker Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest May 27th 2011, 2:39 pm

Not stalking, I was invited here.

Back to top Go down

Post  at23steelers May 27th 2011, 6:33 pm

Spookyweezel wrote:Not stalking, I was invited here.

Since it seems you already know SNA, were you on the Ea forums before this? If so, what was your name?
at23steelers
at23steelers

Street Cred : -17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next