Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

Players from other sports in the nfl

+7
poshmidget
Mutant
MaddMatter
HurpDurpHurray
Soarindude02
at23steelers
barneyb
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Players from other sports in the nfl Empty Players from other sports in the nfl

Post  barneyb July 15th 2011, 4:37 pm

Given that it is the lockout, the offseason so there is next to nothing to talk about, where another thread was kind of heading and i am killing time in a hotel room, I thought this would interesting.

So who from other sports do you think would be a good fit in the nfl.

barneyb
barneyb

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Players from other sports in the nfl Empty Re: Players from other sports in the nfl

Post  at23steelers July 15th 2011, 4:49 pm

Nate Robinson
at23steelers
at23steelers

Street Cred : -17

Back to top Go down

Players from other sports in the nfl Empty Re: Players from other sports in the nfl

Post  Soarindude02 July 15th 2011, 6:54 pm

Lebron James at Slot Receiver comes to mind. You get him to train his Ass Off at Catching the Football, he would be a top 5 Receiver in no time.

My Friend who was the Goalie on my Soccer team used to always talk about a guy named Jonah Lumu. I watched several of his Highlights with my friend, and boy was he a boss. He would make a great Running Back.

There are Several Soccer Players that would make fantastic Kickers. A couple Goal Keepers that would be good Punters as well. David Beckham comes to mind, with his ability to smash the ball on Free Kicks. (My First soccer trainer always talked about David Beckham. He pretty much MADE us kick the way David did, and if we didn't, we'd have to run... a lot. )

Here's an idea, Hockey Players, being Linebackers and Safeties. Their Athleticism, ability to run, and the ability to HIT would be perfect at those postion's. But of course, they would only be very good at Blitzing or Run Stopping.
Soarindude02
Soarindude02

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post  HurpDurpHurray July 15th 2011, 9:10 pm

Shaquille O'neal as a DT
HurpDurpHurray
HurpDurpHurray

Street Cred : 241

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddMatter July 15th 2011, 9:46 pm

Zdano Chara...maybe DE? or LB something like that.

MaddMatter

Street Cred : 125

http://www.sportsworldforums.com

Back to top Go down

Post  barneyb July 16th 2011, 4:00 am

Okay, here is a few

Francois steyn as both a kicker and punter. He can comfortably kick a penalty from 66m out which is around 72 yards. And from personal experience an american football is far easier to kick than a football than a rugby ball given that it is smaller, thinner and pointier so more aerodynamic, i can get an extra 5-10 yards easily just by changing ball, so it would be safe to assume he could be hitting FGs from 75+ yards. He can punt the ball damn far as well, opening up a roster spot for someone else by eliminating the need for two players to kicks. He can also tackle well so wouldnt just be hiding on kick return coverage and never expected to make a tackle like most kickers/punters.
barneyb
barneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  barneyb July 16th 2011, 4:09 am

Richie Mccaw is the flanker for the all blacks and I would love to see him as a LB. I cant remember the last time I have seen him miss a tackle, and when you get hit by him you stay hit. He is also a smart player with great instincts and with a bit of training he would be able to read plays and be dangerous in coverage as well, given that he has great hands from lineouts where he has to catch the ball going backwards and knows what to do with the ball in his hands as well
barneyb
barneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  barneyb July 16th 2011, 4:18 am

This is one of my favourite players in any form of rugby. The fijian William Ryder, I would love to say he could be an everydown back but he is far far too small and would never last long. Instead I see him being great as a change of pace back who could also be used as a receiver and taking back kicks and punts, would be a threat to take the ball to the house every time he touched it
barneyb
barneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant July 16th 2011, 5:43 am

bp_brien wrote:Okay, here is a few

Francois steyn as both a kicker and punter. He can comfortably kick a penalty from 66m out which is around 72 yards. And from personal experience an american football is far easier to kick than a football than a rugby ball given that it is smaller, thinner and pointier so more aerodynamic, i can get an extra 5-10 yards easily just by changing ball, so it would be safe to assume he could be hitting FGs from 75+ yards. He can punt the ball damn far as well, opening up a roster spot for someone else by eliminating the need for two players to kicks. He can also tackle well so wouldnt just be hiding on kick return coverage and never expected to make a tackle like most kickers/punters.

You forget that the goalposts in NFL are smaller and narrower as well.

Plus, a lot of stadiums that I've seen which aren't indoor or have a roof are specifically built to allow as much wind as possible into the place. That's why they have two massive stands running parrel to the length of the pitch and two much smaller stands at each end. I remember there's only been 3 kickers in 6 years who've scored FG at Heinz Field because it's windy as hell at night.

And, you forget that in rugby the other team isn't trying to kill you and block the FG as you take it. You can take you time in rugby and line it up (like Wilkinson does). In football, you've got to run up and smack it and hope for the best whilst a couple of defensive linemen try to bury you.

That said, a lot of rugby players (and Aussie rules guys) would make great kickers. Ben Graham of the Cardinals started out in rugby and he's one of the best punters in the league (he had a record of something like 20 punts in a row without a touchback).
Mutant
Mutant

Street Cred : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  poshmidget July 16th 2011, 3:15 pm

dwight howard at tight end. tell me how you guard him.

poshmidget

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  HurpDurpHurray July 16th 2011, 4:43 pm

poshmidget wrote:dwight howard at tight end. tell me how you guard him.

Simple, break his legs
HurpDurpHurray
HurpDurpHurray

Street Cred : 241

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptRCG2 July 16th 2011, 5:13 pm

Soarindude02 wrote:Lebron James at Slot Receiver comes to mind. You get him to train his Ass Off at Catching the Football, he would be a top 5 Receiver in no time.

My Friend who was the Goalie on my Soccer team used to always talk about a guy named Jonah Lumu. I watched several of his Highlights with my friend, and boy was he a boss. He would make a great Running Back.

There are Several Soccer Players that would make fantastic Kickers. A couple Goal Keepers that would be good Punters as well. David Beckham comes to mind, with his ability to smash the ball on Free Kicks. (My First soccer trainer always talked about David Beckham. He pretty much MADE us kick the way David did, and if we didn't, we'd have to run... a lot. )

Here's an idea, Hockey Players, being Linebackers and Safeties. Their Athleticism, ability to run, and the ability to HIT would be perfect at those postion's. But of course, they would only be very good at Blitzing or Run Stopping.

A 6'8" 250lb SLOT receiver??? LMAO!
CaptRCG2
CaptRCG2

Street Cred : 86

Back to top Go down

Post  Soarindude02 July 16th 2011, 6:04 pm

CaptRCG2 wrote:
Soarindude02 wrote:Lebron James at Slot Receiver comes to mind. You get him to train his Ass Off at Catching the Football, he would be a top 5 Receiver in no time.

Stud. Muffin.
Cool
Soarindude02
Soarindude02

Back to top Go down

Post  CaptRCG2 July 16th 2011, 7:35 pm

Soarindude02 wrote:
CaptRCG2 wrote:

Stud. Muffin.
Cool

LOL- I don't know why, but I think you should change your screen name to Stud Muffin! Very Happy
CaptRCG2
CaptRCG2

Street Cred : 86

Back to top Go down

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ July 16th 2011, 8:04 pm

CaptRCG2 wrote:
Soarindude02 wrote:
CaptRCG2 wrote:

Stud. Muffin.
Cool

LOL- I don't know why, but I think you should change your screen name to Stud Muffin! Very Happy

and he can use this as his avatar What a Face

Players from other sports in the nfl Stud
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Street Cred : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomReturns93 July 16th 2011, 8:30 pm

Players from other sports in the nfl Matt-cooke1

Linebacker

Players from other sports in the nfl ?controllerName=image&action=get&id=1062093&width=628&height=471

Wide Receiver
PhantomReturns93
PhantomReturns93

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  Soarindude02 July 16th 2011, 9:15 pm

It's funny because, One of my Fantasy Team names last year was Stud Muffin. Laughing

Soarindude02
Soarindude02

Back to top Go down

Post  barneyb July 17th 2011, 6:01 pm

Mutant wrote:

Plus, a lot of stadiums that I've seen which aren't indoor or have a roof are specifically built to allow as much wind as possible into the place. That's why they have two massive stands running parrel to the length of the pitch and two much smaller stands at each end. I remember there's only been 3 kickers in 6 years who've scored FG at Heinz Field because it's windy as hell at night.

And, you forget that in rugby the other team isn't trying to kill you and block the FG as you take it. You can take you time in rugby and line it up (like Wilkinson does). In football, you've got to run up and smack it and hope for the best whilst a couple of defensive linemen try to bury you.

That said, a lot of rugby players (and Aussie rules guys) would make great kickers. Ben Graham of the Cardinals started out in rugby and he's one of the best punters in the league (he had a record of something like 20 punts in a row without a touchback).

To counter that,

Yes the posts are smaller and narrower but you will only have to kick from basically in front of the posts (slightly to the left or right, but not much) whereas that kick i posted there was from the sideline making the posts a significantly smaller target. Personally I would rather kick straight down the middle at a smaller target than from the sideline where you have to take the angle into account.

Secondly, yes on the penalties and conversions they are under little pressure, occasionally a winger will get there and charge the kick down, but drop goals and clearance kicks on the other hand are under much greater pressure, and in the case of drop goals much harder as you have to get the bounce right and it is off a shorter run up, so not being used to the pressure isnt a factor IMO, and I would rather have D linemen going after the ball that two flankers and a center coming off the line without any blockers. Incidentally, I recently found out that the drop goal is legal in football for a PAT or FG but hasnt been attempted in years.

Cant say much about the wind, other than rugby stadiums, apart from the major international ones are often much smaller than football ones and often the ball will get above the stadium top with no protection from the wind. Also dan carter has shown that with a bit of genius, you can use the wind to your advantage

barneyb
barneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  Soarindude02 July 17th 2011, 7:30 pm

bp_brien wrote:
Mutant wrote:

To counter that,

Yes the posts are smaller and narrower but you will only have to kick from basically in front of the posts (slightly to the left or right, but not much) whereas that kick i posted there was from the sideline making the posts a significantly smaller target. Personally I would rather kick straight down the middle at a smaller target than from the sideline where you have to take the angle into account.

Secondly, yes on the penalties and conversions they are under little pressure, occasionally a winger will get there and charge the kick down, but drop goals and clearance kicks on the other hand are under much greater pressure, and in the case of drop goals much harder as you have to get the bounce right and it is off a shorter run up, so not being used to the pressure isnt a factor IMO, and I would rather have D linemen going after the ball that two flankers and a center coming off the line without any blockers. Incidentally, I recently found out that the drop goal is legal in football for a PAT or FG but hasnt been attempted in years.

Cant say much about the wind, other than rugby stadiums, apart from the major international ones are often much smaller than football ones and often the ball will get above the stadium top with no protection from the wind. Also dan carter has shown that with a bit of genius, you can use the wind to your advantage

That was stunning. Shocked

As a Special Teams kicker and punter, the Wind is horrible. Any wind can throw your kick off. That's why I have such a soft spot for Kickers and Punters. I've yet to play in a huge snow fest (Playing in Florida, luckily) but I have played in large amounts of wind, with rain, and boy was it difficult. I missed a couple Extra Points in High School due to the wind.
Soarindude02
Soarindude02

Back to top Go down

Post  barneyb July 18th 2011, 5:19 am

Soarindude02 wrote:
bp_brien wrote:
Mutant wrote:

To counter that,

That was stunning. Shocked

As a Special Teams kicker and punter, the Wind is horrible. Any wind can throw your kick off. That's why I have such a soft spot for Kickers and Punters. I've yet to play in a huge snow fest (Playing in Florida, luckily) but I have played in large amounts of wind, with rain, and boy was it difficult. I missed a couple Extra Points in High School due to the wind.

Yeah I am a part time kicker as well, and when the weather is bad trying to kick is hell, at least i dont have to worry about a holder. This is a photo of me trying to kick a few years ago in torrential rain and mud, the ball wouldnt even stand up without some guy holding it.
Players from other sports in the nfl 292263041a4177636024b25

On another note Dan Carter is a demi god of rugby and is a genius as a playmaker as well as a kicker. He plays so close to the line and needs so little time to make a decision and can offload so well he makes all those around him look good.

barneyb
barneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant July 18th 2011, 5:38 am

Since we're talking punters and kickers...

Can an American fan tell me why you have two players to do the same job?

That's the thing I've never understood about the NFL and football.

If a rugby kicker can smash drop goals (punts) and penalties (field goals) and a soccer goalkeeper can smash drop kicks (punts) and goal kicks (sort of like a FG but without points) over 40 yards, then why do you need 2 players to do it in football?
Mutant
Mutant

Back to top Go down

Post  barneyb July 18th 2011, 6:17 am

Mutant wrote:Since we're talking punters and kickers...

If a rugby kicker can smash drop goals (punts) and penalties (field goals) and a soccer goalkeeper can smash drop kicks (punts) and goal kicks (sort of like a FG but without points) over 40 yards, then why do you need 2 players to do it in football?

Yeah I have always thought that as well. Just for the record the rugby kicker actually punts the ball as well as drop goal and place kicks.

Also to further your point, in the case of rugby and football, the kicking off the ball is by no means the players primary role in the game. In soccer the goal keeper has to concentrate all game about keeping the ball out of the net, and in rugby it is generally the fly half who takes the majority of the kicks. The fly half is as close to a quarterback you are going to get in rugby being the primary decision maker and playmaker and also plays a key role in defence. The kicker/punter in the nfl however, just goes out to kick
barneyb
barneyb

Back to top Go down

Post  MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ July 18th 2011, 6:34 am

i used to think that the Punter/Kicker positions were the same also, but they are 2 totally different kicking styles...with Punting the guy is basically drop kicking the ball as far as he can..with Place Kicking the guy has to work on his accuracy and uses a totally different set of leg muscles to complete the motion.
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ

Street Cred : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant July 18th 2011, 6:34 am

bp_brien wrote:

Yeah I have always thought that as well. Just for the record the rugby kicker actually punts the ball as well as drop goal and place kicks.

Also to further your point, in the case of rugby and football, the kicking off the ball is by no means the players primary role in the game. In soccer the goal keeper has to concentrate all game about keeping the ball out of the net, and in rugby it is generally the fly half who takes the majority of the kicks. The fly half is as close to a quarterback you are going to get in rugby being the primary decision maker and playmaker and also plays a key role in defence. The kicker/punter in the nfl however, just goes out to kick

Yeah exactly.

Kickers and Punters in football are on the field for 10 seconds or less at a time.

The only thing they do is kick and act as a last line of defense on Kick Returns (you rarely see kickers tackling).

I'm sure Dan Carter or Jonny Wilkinson can score 50 yard FGs and drop 50 yard punts on the other teams 5 yard line without breaking sweat. Especially since in their rugby roles they really do sweat.

Never actually kicked in rugby outside of PE but it can't be easy to kick a penalty a few seconds after being hit by a prop forward or being involved in a ruck, things which make you hurt and ache.

If I were a team coach, I'd have one guy doing Kicks and Punts and have the spare roster spot going to a WR or DT or some other key role.
Mutant
Mutant

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant July 18th 2011, 6:50 am

MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ wrote:

i used to think that the Punter/Kicker positions were the same also, but they are 2 totally different kicking styles...with Punting the guy is basically drop kicking the ball as far as he can..with Place Kicking the guy has to work on his accuracy and uses a totally different set of leg muscles to compleie the motion.

I don't think so. I grew up watching Jonny Wilkinson and Neil Jenkins. Two of the greatest kickers ever to play rugby. If they can blast 40 yard drop goals and score 40 yard penalties and conversions from the sidelines of the field (where you can barely see the goal posts due to the angle) I can't see how it's any different to football. They work on accuracy and power as well not to meintion their specific roles on the field (usually a fly-half which like Brien said is the QB of rugby).

I don't know I suppose it's one of the mysteries of the sport.

Mutant
Mutant

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next