Sports World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» New Games
by SteelersJMB October 9th 2017, 3:55 pm

» Torn between getting some games
by BaltRavensFan20 January 3rd 2016, 9:22 pm

» Week 17
by HurpDurpHurray January 3rd 2016, 5:07 pm

» Week 16 Merry Christmas Week
by Willbacker December 30th 2015, 5:57 pm

» Found MaddMatt
by MaddMatter December 30th 2015, 12:02 am

» Fantasy 2015-16
by BaltRavensFan20 December 27th 2015, 4:51 pm

» Week 15 i think lol
by HurpDurpHurray December 25th 2015, 7:29 pm

» League of Denial
by EPICxPENGUIN69 December 19th 2015, 8:26 pm

» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

2011 NFL DRAFT!

+14
Soarindude02
tubbs51
HurpDurpHurray
BaltRavensFan20
TRU11
Mutant
CaptRCG2
MASTRxOFxPUPPETZ
SteelersJMB
JermikesHere
PhantomReturns93
KWicK78
Pintsizedjark
MaddMatter
18 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

2011 NFL DRAFT! - Page 6 Empty Re: 2011 NFL DRAFT!

Post  tubbs51 May 1st 2011, 9:21 pm

Im inclined to agree with both sides.

I think the Packers do have a more talented roster when they won the Superbowl but they did so with 17 players on IR including Starters Ryan Grant, Mark Tauscher, Nick Barnett, Jermichael Finley and Johnny Jolly. And also lost Sam Shields and Charles Woodson in the final game.

That takes alot of depth to beable to replace those starters in the Superbowl and still win it. Then again the Packers do have more talent across the board than the Patriots...

tubbs51
tubbs51

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelersJMB May 1st 2011, 9:21 pm

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
SteelersJMB wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
JermikesHere wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
SteelersJMB wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:Making the playoffs < Making it past the 1st round of the playoffs < Winning the Superbowl.

The Packers know what they are doing. They just won THE SUPERBOWL with players no one knew of. The Patriots got whooped in the 1st round.

Patriots have 3 SBs from the past decade, why are you just looking at this past season?

WTF? Really? Nobody knew about Rodgers, Jennings, Driver, Matthews, Woodson, Shields(if you had watched him in college), Collins, just to name a few?
Its not like the Packers were nobodies

Where are they now? They haven't won a playoff game since their last Superbowl title. And yeah, the Packers have some superstars but so do the Patriots with Brady, Welker, Wilfork, etc.

You mean they haven't won a playoff game since their last SB title.. EXCEPT those playoff wins against the Jaguars in 2005, Jets in 06, Chargers in 06, Jaguars in 07, and Chargers in 07?

Besides for those FIVE playoff wins, you're totally correct as usual! And what exactly is your point? That the Packers have no good players and the Patriots do? I don't get it. I assume your whole point was to in some way say the Ravens are the best in some way.

Meh, Superbowl titles.

My point was that people are saying "Oh god the Patriots do such a great job winning with nobodies on their team!", when in fact they didn't even win a playoff game this year and haven't won a Superbowl in many years, and the Packers just won a Superbowl with essentially their JV team and a few starters.

So 4 SB Berths don't mean anything at all? The Pats do a better job than anyone else with "no name" players on their team. They aren't goin to win a SB every year but they are a contender year in and year out.

A few starters? Stop makng it sound like they just came outta nowhere with a bunch of rookies and FAs and surprised everyone..

I'm not trying to say they don't do much, but as of right now the Packers are doing a much better job.

And I won't say they came out of nowhere, but they did win the Superbowl with 15 or so guys on IR and in the Superbowl they lost Sam Shields and Charles Woodson...

Says who? The HC for GB has 1 SB and NE HC has 3. Who's done a better job? Can't just look at one season

Other than Grant, Finley, Barnett, and I suppose Blackmon all the rest were I think rookies or players that really didn't even play in the first place.
Still a great feat to manage a team with that many injuries bu they weren't all contributers to scoring points or getting turnovers.
SteelersJMB
SteelersJMB

Street Cred : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelersJMB May 1st 2011, 9:25 pm

tubbs51 wrote:Im inclined to agree with both sides.

I think the Packers do have a more talented roster when they won the Superbowl but they did so with 17 players on IR including Starters Ryan Grant, Mark Tauscher, Nick Barnett, Jermichael Finley and Johnny Jolly. And also lost Sam Shields and Charles Woodson in the final game.

That takes alot of depth to beable to replace those starters in the Superbowl and still win it. Then again the Packers do have more talent across the board than the Patriots...

Knew I was forgetting a few Tauscher when I was thinking of guys who were on IR.

It does take a lot of depth and says a lot about their front office, which is the same that let Favre go and go with Rodgers.

Thats one thing to take into account, Packers have greater talent in positions than the Pats...and helps to have Capers as a D-Coordinator, although I can't use that as an arguement since Pats have BB.
SteelersJMB
SteelersJMB

Street Cred : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomReturns93 May 1st 2011, 10:02 pm

My evaluation of our draft:

Cameron Heyward: A typical Steelers pick, DE was probably one of the last positions in terms of need for the immediate future, but as far as 2 or 3 years from now is somewhere that would need some youth, so the Steelers took who they thought was the BPA and a great 3-4 end who we will not hear from until around the 2013 season. Not who I would have picked, but the front office saw the remaining corners as reaches here and there weren't any good offensive linemen left. Ill give it an A, because while right now it may not be a sexy pick, 3 years from now we will look back on it and wonder how we could have picked anyone else. A

Marcus Gilbert: While offensive line is a huge need, and the cornerback we got in the third is the cornerback I thought we would have chosen with this second round pick anyway, I'm not a huge fan of Gilbert. He has potential but he seems to have a bit of a lazy work ethic and may be more of a guard in the long run, which I don't think we need. I have a feeling the front office leaned to much on the fact that he played with Pouncey, but who knows. B-

Curtis Brown: I was surprised he lasted this long, he was considered by many to be a late second round or early third round pick. A lot of teams passed on him in the third round for other cornerbacks which scares me a bit. I thought Davon House was a better corner and would have fit our system better, but Curtis Brown was a much safer pick who has been tested against much stiffer competition, and despite a lack of interceptions is thought to be a good man coverage corner who should be an immediate upgrade over William Gay at nickel and can hold his own in coverge. I still think we should have tried our hand at Prince Amukamara or traded up for Brandon Harris when he fell within a few spots of our third round pick. B+

Cortez Allen: I'm just glad we at least addressed our corners immediately after the first and second round, to be honest I wasn't expecting another corner after Brown until later on in the draft. Cortez Allen is a small school project who won't be ready to make an impact in 2011, but is drawing many comparisons to Ike Taylor (albeit much slower) in terms of his size, skillset, and football background. Again, we took this guy with corners like Brandon Burton and Davon House still on the board, so the front office really saw something they like in this guy. We tend to hit home runs on small school prospects so Im excited to see what he can do. B

Chris Carter: He had a 3rd or 4th round grade, so when he fell to us at the end of the 5th Im not surprised at all that we took him. I personally would have gone with Jerrel Powe here, but we only have one backup OLB so Carter adds depth. C+

Keith Williams: Not a fan of this pick. We have enough late round guard prospects. 6th round Olinemen aren't going to do much and there were still more talented players to choose from here. C-

Baron Batch: I love this guy, we need a fast scatback to replace Mewelde Moore, he has a great story and seems like a very good talent for a late seventh round pick. B+

Overall, I'll give it a B+, not a flashy draft at all but a typical Steelers draft that looks pretty unimpressive on paper but once these guys have hit the field wil probably look a lot better. This time last year, I gave our 2010 draft something like a C or B- because I thought we wasted a tomn of our picks, and a year later it looks like one of the best drafts in Steelers history. So we have to give it time.
PhantomReturns93
PhantomReturns93

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6